The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2013, 07:23 AM   #1
miniman

New to site

Good morning! I am new to this site and interested in getting some information for my 68 C-10. I have recently purchased this C-10, all original truck with 70,000 miles on it. I just finished building my new shop, so now I want to get started on this truck. The first thing that I want to do, is to convert the front drum brakes to disk. I have found a couple of donor trucks, one is a 78 and a 83. Would either one of these be a good option, or what would you suggest? Thanks for any info.
miniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #2
kcsa75

Re: New to site

Let me be the first to welcome you to the board.

I'm not going to be much help on your disk brake swap other than to suggest you do a search using the little box at the top of the page. I'm sure this subject has been discussed many times.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
ksshane

Welcome to the board.

+1 on the search. I didnt need the swap so I havent had to research it. But I know there are threads discussing swapping out drums for disks.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
Moline_Puller

Welcome to the site! And good luck with the truck!

If you haven't done it already, you can do a search on this site and you'll find lots of info on doing your brake swap.

Chris
Moline_Puller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:06 AM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

WELCOME!!! and don't forget to post pics.There now that's out of the way.
Disc conversions are fairly simple and either of the donors should work.As stated above,do a search,it will give you plenty of info on the options using either suspension.Determine whether you want to lower before doing the disc conversion.Springs seem to work well until 2 in of drop,but lower usually requires extreme shimming to realign.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
Portmod7

Welcome! Check out the "Suspension" section for brake questions, lots of info in there. Here's a link to one of the "Stickies" to get you started:

Drum to Disc Conversions

Have fun!
Old 10-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Welcome from Central Florida. Sure you don't want to lower it while your at it?
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
hugger6933

Welcome to ya from eastern part of Arkansas. I own a body shop here and have since 1987. There is a lot of good info on this site and a lot will prove it self useful to you in your disc brake conversion. The first thing you have to ask yourself is it gonna be a 5 lug truck or a 6 lug truck. If you are wanting to convert to five lug, either of the choices you have will work you can change the whole crossmember and have everything on it from steering box to rotor and all. A TON of people on here have done this. I have three trucks and two of them are 5 lug change overs and the other is a 6 lug that is going to stay 6 but going disc. I am using the 68 3/4 LCA method with the 88-98 C2500LD spindle, rotor, caliper,line and pads. The reason I am going that way is I have all of the stuff and I wanted to stay lower dollar with this one just because. Once again welcome enjoy the show. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote