The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2014, 12:05 AM   #1
americanmusc1e

I need some inspiration

Time to get serious or give it up.

The subject is my 1970 C10, turned K10. I started this project a year and a half ago.

I put a lot of time and money into the project. I even purchased an 84 k10 for more parts. Much of the running gear is done, as well as most of the bodywork on the cab.

All this was done at my parents place. Two months ago, at the ripe old age of 23, I was offered a new position in the company I work for. I moved out of my parents house in Inez, Tx, to the big city of Austin, Tx. Where all the extra cash from my promotion goes to rent on a little apartment.

Which leads me to my current situation. I work 50 hours a week, am taking two online college classes this summer (which I should be working on right now), and I'm nearly 3 hours away from my truck. I have come up with a list of things that I need to do to get the truck running and back together enough to move it. I just need some inspiration. I don't want to sell it. I've come too far for that. I'm hoping that with some support and people motivating me. My goal is to have the truck move on it own power and move it up here in austin with me by the end of the summer. NOT FINISHED, just progress.

here is a short list of what I have to do..
This won't get it anywhere near inspectable/road ready, just driveable.

1. Diff Covers painted and Oil in the diffs

2. Transfer case and transmission oil

3. Driveshafts

4. Clutch hydraulics

5. brake soft lines!

6. brake hardlines

7. Core support

8. distributor parts

9. engine accessory brackets/parts, water pump.

10. Shocks/stabilizers

11. steering box.

12. Exhaust of some kind.

13. Radiator hoses.

14. Fenders/hood primered mounted

Some pictures: (there are a lot more if you follow the link in my sig)

the 2wd

the 69 K20

the truck that donated the trans, transfer case, front diff, tires, and lift

progress..

Instagram: @americanmusc1e

OLD SKOOL-- 1970 C10. 454/Th400/3.07 posi Build Thread
FARM TRUCK----1949 Chevrolet 3800 Power Wagon Hauler Build Thread

1999 4wd OBS Tahoe - daily.

DM me if you can't see photos i posted
americanmusc1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:10 AM   #2
franken

Re: I need some inspiration

So you put the early body on the late frame?
If that's the case, I'd guess core support and making the front clip are the next steps. If I remember correctly there are frame changes that complicate this.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:37 AM   #3
argonaut

I can tell from looking at the frame that you didn't use the 80's frame which is a good thing. Progress looks awesome. In my mind you finished off all the difficult work with the chassis and suspension and driveline. The rest of the worklooks like long weekend work. You should be able to get that stuff sone by the end of the summer, no problem. Get a notebook and list out the task to complete each system. Start with brakes, then the steering. Get the engine all prepped and then get it in and finish off stuff like the cluch, the cooling system, the wiring and lights. If you make a plan and work some long hours on the weekend then you'll be showing us pics of you driving it in couple of months!
Good luck! Now get to work!

Oh and congrats on the promotion. You must be a hard worker.

1972 K5 Blazer CST, Turquoise
1966 K20 Short Fleet Pickup, Big Ugly
1964 C10 Short Fleet, Gertrude

2001 Porsche 911 Carrera
1996 Ford Bronco XLT
1980 Jeep Wagoneer

2008 Honda CBR1000RR
2005 Honda RC51
1981 Honda CB750C

No dis-assemble Johnny Five! No dis-assemble!
argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:54 PM   #4
Campbel45

I dont think anyone here will want to see you give up on it but I understand how you feel and the uneasy feeling of where you should be locating your time/money. But I have two stories for you

I am about your age, 23 right now, and when I chose I wanted to be a mechanic I went to a technical school for it. Money vs the education I received didnt really add up but thats another story. I went to Wyotech and while there I decided to take a a 1979 dj5 postal jeep, slam it, and chop the top. Also a future sbc/700r4 swap. It was something different ya know? When I got out and got a job 2 years went by and I never finished it. Sold it to someone who collected postal jeeps. Now forward 2 more years and I am more settled into my job and can have a little more fun. I very much regret selling it as I have more time and money to play with.
Before:

After:

I now have a 1971 chevy k10 and have just about touched, fixed, and decided to replace almost everything on it. Its been quite stressful. But you know what? When its done its going to be mine. Its gonna be exactly what I want. And its gonna be badass!
Before:

Currently dont have a good picture of overall but here is one of the engine that I'm a little bit proud of:

My two biggest motivational thoughts are that I dont like to quit what I start. And I also dont wanna look back and say man I wish I never wouldve sold that. But this is not a perfect world and you gotta do what you gotta do. I think you are very close. Closer than I am at least! Also these board members are great for info/help and will always have your back with these old trucks!
Campbel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:36 AM   #5
americanmusc1e

Thanks for the replies folks! I was out the other weekend, but this weekend I had two days to get some work done. The south Texas heat was a killer, but I got some stuff done.

I got my junkyard driveshaft pulled apart and installed the new u-joints on it. Then bolted it in the truck.

I got my brake soft-lines nearly done. The front lines are from an 84 C20 and the rear is from a 97 K1500. They are just the right length. I'd reference the post where I found that info, but I can't find it anymore. I modified all the points where the hose mounts to the frame. In the back I bent the factory bracket down, and in the front, I borrowed some brackets from my k10 parts truck.

I would have had all the brake hard lines run, but somehow I managed to grab some 3/16 brake lines with metric fittings on them. I couldn't use them so I had to stop. All the rear lines are run and mostly secured. the front shouldn't take long to finish up.

I also mounted the core support in place and bought some exhaust elbows so I could work that later.

The back hose may look a little short in the picture, but there is no weight on the back of the truck at all. it will be better once the truck is leveled out.

I did use a bender, but my loops didn't come out as loops. Contrary to what it looks like in this picture, the brake line has 1 1/2" of clearance from the steering shaft.

got the core support mounted and a tire that is flat lol

tucked my baby in before I left. I probably won't get to see her the next two weeks

I loaded my car down with everything I can work on up here at my apartment. all the accessory brackets and carburetor and distributor. The ladder and box of cat5 are for my job.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:50 PM   #6
westong

Your doing good...Is all i can really say is just enjoy where you are at in life as you will look back on this and smile when you get older. It all seems real hard and big pain in the hinny making all these trips and spending all this money right now but it will be worth it. You are living the american dream...working on an old chevy truck and getting time with your parents to boot when you go back home to work on her.live it up....and have fun your only young once....
westong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:21 AM   #7
franken

If you have a list, you can complete tasks on that list. Hell, just (having the brains/training) having a list is an accomplishment these days.

If you can create the list chances are you can complete a task on the list. If you can do that, you can complete any task on the list. The next task is ordering the list and completing the next task.

Now do.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:56 AM   #8
RANDY COX

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
If you have a list, you can complete tasks on that list. Hell, just (having the brains/training) having a list is an accomplishment these days.

If you can create the list chances are you can complete a task on the list. If you can do that, you can complete any task on the list. The next task is ordering the list and completing the next task.

Now do.
yep I 100% agree, make a list and check it off and date it as you get it done, that's what I've been doing and it works, also when you feel like nothing is getting done look at all the builds on here and that will get you motivated... there's a lot and awesome build's on here.... Ps I see you went from 292 to v-8 I went opposite from v-8 to 292 and I need a passenger side motor perch....
Old 07-13-2014, 10:48 PM   #9
americanmusc1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANDY COX View Post
yep I 100% agree, make a list and check it off and date it as you get it done, that's what I've been doing and it works, also when you feel like nothing is getting done look at all the builds on here and that will get you motivated... there's a lot and awesome build's on here.... Ps I see you went from 292 to v-8 I went opposite from v-8 to 292 and I need a passenger side motor perch....
Last week I just shipped the whole crossmember/perches to another member who inquired about them. good luck on your hunt! I feel your pain. I had so much trouble locating a v8 crossmember that I ended up using one from a 73-87 4x4 truck. I got the better-style mounts too though

Old 07-13-2014, 10:55 PM   #10
americanmusc1e

I had a very successful weekend!! my girlfriend begged me to come down because she missed me. So I left Austin about 3:00PM on Saturday. Took her to the dirt track races Saturday night . and she had to work Sunday, so I spent 4 hours working on my truck. A friend of mine came over and we pretty much got the exhaust and and brakes knocked out. Just need to mount the front hardlines.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:45 AM   #11
RANDY COX

Awe that's ok I found one here locally, see what just a few hrs at a time can do... Lookin Good. I'll be checking back in to see the progress....
Old 09-01-2014, 05:12 PM   #12
americanmusc1e

WORKED MY BUTT OFF THIS WEEKEND!! still a long way from being road worthy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSUhR...ature=youtu.be

EDIT: I've tried for the 10th time and I can't get the link to embed. please click the linky above

Last edited by americanmusc1e; 09-01-2014 at 05:19 PM. Reason: silly programmer can't embed his own video
Old 09-11-2014, 01:34 PM   #13
diver

hi,you are doing good i am 60 and hire it out.you are young and have plenty of time to do it wright all i can do is say a pray for you.GOD bless
diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:11 PM   #14
RANDY COX

Sounded good I'm sure your glad it's moving now...