The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2018, 11:05 AM   #1
JeffO

Exclamation What is this truck worth?..

Hey guys. I’m new here, and have always wanted to do this and am getting close. The garage is getting prepped, and I have a potential buy in the works. This is where I need your help. I do not know what to offer this guy. I have no pics so I’ll do my best to describe it. I believe it’s a 72, short box. The front grill has the bow tie in the middle of the split grille. Not running. Original motor and trans. He says there is a 350, 4 bolt for it in the back, along with some extra body and interior parts. Been sitting outside for 8 approx years, almost sunk in the ground. Frame looks good. Most body panels have some rust and pin holes in them. Original paint. The box is there, but unsure of bed condition. No title or ownership, so I would have to obtain these documents. Let me know your thoughts and ideas. Keep in mind to tell me what you would offer this guy, based on the description above. I will keep you up to date on the progress, and include pics as I can. Thanks JeffO.
JeffO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:31 PM   #2
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

Re: What is this truck worth?..

I guess I'm the first to welcome you to the forums.

There's absolutely no way of providing you any kind of price for what you're looking at. It's hard enough WITH pictures and with no pictures, there's a zero percent chance of an accurate appraisal. There's a fine line between a parts truck and one worth spending more than you'll ever recover on.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:32 PM   #3
Zeroman

Welcome to the forum.

FYI, you have to be a Premium Member to post "What's it Worth".

Admin will delete your post.

Plus, there is a "What's it Worth" section of the forum to post to when you become a Premium Member.

Check the pinned posts at the top to find out how to upgrade to Premium Member.
Zeroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:57 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroman View Post
Welcome to the forum.

FYI, you have to be a Premium Member to post "What's it Worth".

Admin will delete your post.

Plus, there is a "What's it Worth" section of the forum to post to when you become a Premium Member.

Check the pinned posts at the top to find out how to upgrade to Premium Member.

There is no problem asking what something is worth as long as it is something the person is buying, or trying to buy like the OP is. If it is something the person is selling they have to be a premium member to ask what it is worth.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:41 PM   #5
OARNGESI

I bet it’s a pre 70 by the grille description without pics it sure sounds rough
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:46 AM   #6
MARKDTN

$100

Hard to know anything without any pics. From your description it might be a square body?
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:36 AM   #7
72Subby

"no title", "most body panels have rust", and "sunk into the ground" are all things that would seriously lower what I would offer for the truck.

"short bed", "original paint" and "original engine" do sound interesting to me.

Personally, I don't worry much about engine, transmission, or other mechanicals, those are the cheapest and easiest things to restore/replace. I do very much value finding as complete, original and unmodified starting point as I can.

You are in Michigan? that is an area known for rust. If this is your first restoration, and you are not a professional metal worker, and you do not have an unlimited checking account, then rust is the thing you most want to avoid when selecting a project to start with. Spending $1000 more for a less rusty truck to start your project can save you > $5000 in the total investment you will end up making to restore the truck. Buy the best body you can as a starting point for your project.

you sound like you are at the beginning of your thought process. I recommend you research and educate yourself before you jump in. This truck doesn't sound like it's going anywhere, do a global Craigslist search and look at prices for a very large number of trucks and get an idea of what truck (year, options) you really want, and prices in the market.

My other opinion: "buy local" is great for produce and helping neighborhood businesses. It might not be the best idea when selecting your project truck. The $2000 you spend to find and transport the right project truck from a drier climate (or just a luckier example found) is easy to recoup and a much better investment in your final truck than your first $2000 LMC parts order... :-)
Old 11-20-2018, 03:52 PM   #8
68bowtie

Sounds just the way I like them. Straight out of the field and ready for a CLR bath and a lot of TLC. From the description I’d say best case $4500, worst case $500. Post some pictures when you are able to!

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:50 PM   #9
HO455
Post Whore

Welcome Aboard! I recommend taking a look at the Craig's List finds thread. I'm sure you will find numerous trucks similar to the one you are looking at. I would start at the last page and work backwards.
Good luck there's only 210 pages!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...53860&page=210
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377

Last edited by HO455; 11-20-2018 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Forgot link. Dhoo!
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:55 PM   #10
old51sedan

This is a great web site with a Hugh wealth of information. If you go to the top of the page to subscribe you can join for $25.00 a year. I'm also from MI and like to welcome you to this site. I looked for a long time and finally bought a truck a few years ago from out west. I just posted a couple of pictures a few minutes ago. The truck you are looking at sounds interesting, if noting else maybe loaded with lots of nice options. Have you looked inside the glove box at the SPID sheet that will tell you a lot.
old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:49 AM   #11
rsavage

My opinion - no title = run away no matter the price. I love craigslist ads that say "no title but it's easy to get". If it is so easy to get, why don't they get one before trying to sell it?
Good luck with your search.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:41 PM   #12
truckster

Check your state laws for the title requirements before you do anything else.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:47 PM   #13
leddzepp

No title = parts truck

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:41 PM   #14
cebra

Without pictures, I would pay $3-400 for the parts as you have panels that may not be sellable and an engine core. SWB frame will be worth a decent bit but it will require a lot of wrenching to sell it and you would need to have someone regional that wants it. May be a decent parts truck for your build and sell off what you don't need.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:44 PM   #15
SC1969c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebra View Post
Without pictures, I would pay $3-400 for the parts as you have panels that may not be sellable and an engine core. SWB frame will be worth a decent bit but it will require a lot of wrenching to sell it and you would need to have someone regional that wants it. May be a decent parts truck for your build and sell off what you don't need.

I was thinking 1-2. Sounds like a money pit to be completely blumt. . I’d recommend something with a few more items removed off that list. (Truck with a title, truck with a running motor, truck with minimal rust). Trust me, i bought mine for 3500 and several thousand later Ive got new everything underthe hood but now an electrical issue. The better the truck the more time/money you’ll save. Ive seen trucks on craigslist that are total rust buckets but running for 2-3 grand
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by SC1969c10; 11-22-2018 at 12:09 AM.
SC1969c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:09 AM   #16
SC1969c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebra View Post

I was thinking 2-3. Sounds like a money pit. I’d recommend something with a few more items removed off that list. (Truck with a title, truck with a running motor, truck with minimal rust). Trust me, i bought mine for 3500 and several thousand later Ive got new everything underthe hood but now an electrical issue. The better the truck the more time/money you’ll save. Ive seen trucks on craigslist that are total rust buckets but running for 2-3 grand
Posted via Mobile Device
SC1969c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 01:06 AM   #17
zicc1835

pictures pictures pictures
zicc1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:39 PM   #18
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
No title = parts truck

Not necessarily. In Alabama for example, no old cars have titles - bill of sale only. So the thing to do is check with your home state to find out the process. In Oklahoma you can get a title to anything in about two weeks.

I'd advise the OP to get the best truck he can right off the bat. If you buy a $1000 truck you'll spend $8000 and have a $5000 truck when you're done.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 02:35 AM   #19
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
Not necessarily. In Alabama for example, no old cars have titles - bill of sale only. So the thing to do is check with your home state to find out the process. In Oklahoma you can get a title to anything in about two weeks.

I'd advise the OP to get the best truck he can right off the bat. If you buy a $1000 truck you'll spend $8000 and have a $5000 truck when you're done.
He stated in his first post he would need to obtain a title, so I’m guessing he’s already checked. Coupled with the fact it doesn’t run, sounds like parts to me. I wouldn’t pass on it if the price is cheap enough and there are some decent parts to use or resell. Rusted panels don’t sound too promising either

I too would advise to buy the best truck you can right off the bat. Even if it’s free you’ll spend a fortune building it.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:16 PM   #20
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

Any update or pictures?
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:47 PM   #21
skrenly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffO View Post
Hey guys. I’m new here, and have always wanted to do this and am getting close. The garage is getting prepped, and I have a potential buy in the works. This is where I need your help. I do not know what to offer this guy. I have no pics so I’ll do my best to describe it. I believe it’s a 72, short box. The front grill has the bow tie in the middle of the split grille. Not running. Original motor and trans. He says there is a 350, 4 bolt for it in the back, along with some extra body and interior parts. Been sitting outside for 8 approx years, almost sunk in the ground. Frame looks good. Most body panels have some rust and pin holes in them. Original paint. The box is there, but unsure of bed condition. No title or ownership, so I would have to obtain these documents. Let me know your thoughts and ideas. Keep in mind to tell me what you would offer this guy, based on the description above. I will keep you up to date on the progress, and include pics as I can. Thanks JeffO.
This is a joke, right?
skrenly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:24 PM   #22
Stephen717

I was always told If it runs and drives it's worth at least $500. that being said the truck you described does not run. but if it comes with all the extra parts and another engine I still think somewhere in the area of $500-700 is fair. so long as the body isn't fully rusted out. check the bottoms of the fenders, the cab corners and rockers, the wheel arches in the bed, and the floor. they also usually rust out above the windshield where the drip rail is (which is why I'm deleting the drip rail above my windshield). the bottoms of the doors are another good place to check. I wouldn't go more than $400 if it's a total rust bucket but if it's in somewhat of a decent shape then I wouldn't offer more than $1,000 for it as it is a truck that doesn't run. that's just my two cents though.
Stephen717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:41 AM   #23
special-K
Special Order

Sounds like a $500-$1,000 truck. You can part it or obtain a title and restore it to perfection if you want. But considering it's a truck with engine in the bed (any good??), some amount of rust most places, and (most importantly) sunken into the ground. If he wants more than that he needs to drag it up out of the ruts and come up with a title. He could put the motor in, get it running, CLR, good tires... the more he does the more he can ask. But he isn't doing anything but talking about you dragging it out of the field and taking your chances on the rest. $500-100 just because it's a 67-72.

The frame and ID are worth something alone. Really need that title to have something good. But right now it's not a frame. It's a whole truck that it will take a lot of work to get to the frame. The person that does that gets the money.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote