The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2017, 08:31 PM   #1
GMCNUT

Crown / Stageway Crew Cabs

Does anyone on here either own a Crown or Stageway 3-4 door Crew Cab truck, or know anything really about them? I have had every conceivable 60's truck at one time, but never owned a crew cab and I finally have a shot at buying a 4 door 1964 Chevy crew cab made by Crown. This one is unrestored and not what I'd call super nice but very restorable and runs / drives etc. Unlike 99% of all 60's trucks, this one has 100% of its original dealership special order documents and ppwk, all booklets including the one for the optional "no-spin" rear end it was ordered with, protection guide, etc so I am liking that quite a bit. Came with a straight 6 and 4 speed but engine was swapped to 350 V8 - otherwise nothing else was messed with. Wondering specifically who can say how many were made or how many are said to have been made, and what you guys think one would be worth if you were like me and buying to keep vs resell. I know there are a lot of rust related questions to be answered before a value can be assessed but for this exercise, just assume no rust worse than anyone would call "normal" like maybe it needs inner rockers, but all cab supports are good or maybe the doors have a few small holes in bottom but not enough to require whole bottom replacement - usual stuff any unrestored 60-66 would need fixed to paint one. Any pictures of your crew cabs, info on production figures or ideas on prices are greatly appreciated....
1961 Chevy SWB Fleetside BBW Custom Cab #'s matching 283 V8 & Powerglide w/ uber-rare Cool-Pack A/C, factory PB, deluxe heat, Clock
1961 GMC K1000 4x4 SWB w/ BBW, Custom Cab and numbers matching 305D V6 engine & 4 spd
1960 GMC SWB Fleetside BBW Custom Cab #'s matching 305A V6 & Hydramatic, factory PB, Clock, Tach, Compass, Hood Jet
1959 Chevy SWB Fleetside BBW Custom Cab w/ rare stainless bed trim, #'s matching 283 V8 & Hydramatic, Deluxe Heat, radio, spotlight
1958 Chevy Cameo #'s matching 283 V8 & Hydramatic, radio, window washers, Factory PB
1958 GMC BBW SWB Fleetside Custom Cab, #'s matching 336 V8 Hydramatic, Factory PS, PB, Clock, RSD, Deluxe Heat & Hood Jet
1957 GMC Suburban Pickup (GMC's Cameo) #'s matching 347 V8 Hydramatic, uber-rare vacuum ashtray, Factory PS, PB, Clock, RSD, Hood Jet
1956 Chevy 3800 1 ton w/ rare 9 ft stepside bed, factory 265 V8 w/ Hydramatic, factory PB, Custom Cab, deluxe heat, spotlight and hood jet.
GMCNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:05 PM   #2
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Re: Crown / Stageway Crew Cabs

I have a Stageway, my dad does actually but I've researched them a ton.

The research I have done is, there is no actual way to know how many were truely built because these were titled as "work truck" just like a fleet or a HD truck may have been. A good estimate would be less that 100 per year. Most were sold to construction companies, survey crews, forestry service, rail road, etc type companies that needed to move several people at once and carry gear. These trucks were special ordered from a dealer, the truck and parts were sent to the coach company and they did their thing. From what I can tell, there were 3 Coach companies, two in the middle of the country and one on the west coast.

Since these are rare, mainly because they were treated as trucks and then discarded when used up, the price is relevant to what you have. I know of a 61/62 GMC crew cab that I have been trying to buy for 10 years, but he won't sell, even at about $5k. This truck is non running and in poor but rebuildable shape...and he won't sell, says he will rebuild it. Yea right!

I have seen a crew cab short bed rod-stored and done very nice, it sold for about $60k about 6 years ago after being on EvilBay for a long while for a much larger asking price. A shop rebuilt it also.

My dad's crew cab won't be for sale, ever, period. I say this because he and I built it ( with his $), so there is sentimental value there.

Let me know if I can help you with anything.

Good luck!
Attached Images

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!

Last edited by Clyde65; 08-16-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:57 AM   #3
GMCNUT

Guy wants 7K for this one so trying to be sure its really worth that
1961 Chevy SWB Fleetside BBW Custom Cab #'s matching 283 V8 & Powerglide w/ uber-rare Cool-Pack A/C, factory PB, deluxe heat, Clock
1961 GMC K1000 4x4 SWB w/ BBW, Custom Cab and numbers matching 305D V6 engine & 4 spd
1960 GMC SWB Fleetside BBW Custom Cab #'s matching 305A V6 & Hydramatic, factory PB, Clock, Tach, Compass, Hood Jet
1959 Chevy SWB Fleetside BBW Custom Cab w/ rare stainless bed trim, #'s matching 283 V8 & Hydramatic, Deluxe Heat, radio, spotlight
1958 Chevy Cameo #'s matching 283 V8 & Hydramatic, radio, window washers, Factory PB
1958 GMC BBW SWB Fleetside Custom Cab, #'s matching 336 V8 Hydramatic, Factory PS, PB, Clock, RSD, Deluxe Heat & Hood Jet
1957 GMC Suburban Pickup (GMC's Cameo) #'s matching 347 V8 Hydramatic, uber-rare vacuum ashtray, Factory PS, PB, Clock, RSD, Hood Jet
1956 Chevy 3800 1 ton w/ rare 9 ft stepside bed, factory 265 V8 w/ Hydramatic, factory PB, Custom Cab, deluxe heat, spotlight and hood jet.
GMCNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:38 PM   #4
Clyde65

Honestly, your the only one who knows if it's worth that. If it runs and drives fair, then I would say yes but I don't own your wallet.

You know what you will need to put into it to get it where you like it. Also, if your thinking of buy/build/sell, you can easily price it out of 98% of the truck buyers just because the initial cost and labor/parts to get it where you want.

Rebuild of Clyde

support our troops!
Old 08-19-2017, 05:58 PM   #5
66Gilbert
1966 Crew Cab & 4X4 Fanatic

Here are some pictures of my 1966 C10 Chevy Stageway Crew Cab.
Attached Images

66Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:04 PM   #6
62 bigwindow

66Gilbert
Is that the original bed when conversion was done?
62 bigwindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:02 AM   #7
66Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 bigwindow View Post
66Gilbert
Is that the original bed when conversion was done?
Yes,

This is the original bed. It is a long bed with the front of the bed cut off making it a 6 1/2 Ft bed. It is out of proportion compared to a standard short bed. With that being said it is shorter in front of the wheel opening and longer at the rear of the wheel opening compared to a standard short bed. Also 12'' was added to the frame to make room for the Crew Cab and the modified bed. The WB is 139'' with this combination. I am thinking of replacing the bed with a standard 6 1/2 Ft short bed which will require lengthening the frame another 9.5'' for a total of 21.5'' added to the standard long bed 127'' WB making the WB 148.5''

Last edited by 66Gilbert; 08-20-2017 at 01:17 AM.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:46 AM   #8
62 bigwindow

The reason I ask is because the bed on your truck looks a lot more proportioned than on the one I just bought. and was curious if you had added to the frame and or bed to make both longer? Mine is very short from the back of the cab to the wheel opening
Mine is 8 lug and 4 wheel drive. I found a picture while surfing the old interweb of one stretched out to a actual longbed. Not sure who built or owns the truck but it looks really good
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2017, 10:35 AM   #9
66Gilbert

Quote:
The reason I ask is because the bed on your truck looks a lot more proportioned than on the one I just bought. and was curious if you had added to the frame and or bed to make both longer? Mine is very short from the back of the cab to the wheel opening
Mine is 8 lug and 4 wheel drive. I found a picture while surfing the old interweb of one stretched out to a actual longbed. Not sure who built or owns the truck but it looks really good
Is the photo you have posted the truck you are talking about? If it is this is a Photoshop that I had done for me over 8 years ago by member 19GMC63 right here from this forum. Also this is a short bed not a long bed.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:51 AM   #10
62 bigwindow

The bed on the BLUE truck appears to be a standard (or close to standard ) shortbed fleetside bed
The bed on the GOLD truck in the picture (photoshop) appears to be a LONG bed fleetside bed.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:18 AM   #11
Clyde65

Imo, the blue truck has a cut down long bed as well. Notice the stake pocket in the middle? Only long beds have that.

Rebuild of Clyde

support our troops!
Old 08-20-2017, 11:54 AM   #12
66Gilbert

Quote:
The bed on the BLUE truck appears to be a standard (or close to standard ) shortbed fleetside bed
The bed on the GOLD truck in the picture (photoshop) appears to be a LONG bed fleetside bed.
Here is the original Short Bed picture that was used for the Photoshop. And here are some pictures of an actual 1965 Chevy Long Bed 4x4 Crew Cab that is located in the same town I live in. Pretty rare to have two Crew Cabs from this era in the same small town in Arizona.
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2017, 07:52 PM   #13
wahl4m

i got a "stageway" truck about 25 yrs ago-then they was not worth anything ?? i should of bought several of them ! them stageways -was all built with a axe & bf hammer !! my rockers was done very badly -had a new set made up locally & are nice ! most of the frame welds were BAAAAD ! mine had a piece of rr track welded upside down to the bottom of frame& looked like it was scrapped on everything low in the road!i did find a 1967 c-30 chassis mount camper frame -a little taller & longer {i need to cut several feet out of it } i have a 6 ft stepside & fleetside boxes -dont know which to use ?? my front & rear susp. came out of my wrecked & rusted 1987 crew cab single wheel-bolted right in! probably use a 5th wheel ball in bed & be able to use a car trailer behind it. the roof is amazing how it was stretched ?? i gues id call it that -it is not warped ?? i do need to put a bb window in it,& new dash& a good media blast ? it is not much room in the back seat -like my carryall BUT should make a good hauler & show truck -try to post pics soon ! if the truck is nice -you will not regret it ! very very gooodgood investment! take care steve
wahl4m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:00 AM   #14
65chevysub

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Gilbert View Post
Here is the original Short Bed picture that was used for the Photoshop. And here are some pictures of an actual 1965 Chevy Long Bed 4x4 Crew Cab that is located in the same town I live in. Pretty rare to have two Crew Cabs from this era in the same small town in Arizona.
I've seen both of your trucks around town Love both of them. We need to get a 60-66 Chevy truck "unclub" together here. There are several here that are hiding. Anyone interested? No President, VP, or any of that. Just get together and hangout. If anyone is interested, I can start looking for a spot we can meet. Maybe Black Bear Diner? I've been thinking of getting a local car/truck club together. I used to do a charity car show and miss the good old days of a "Cruise Night"
65chevysub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:05 PM   #15
studeclunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Gilbert View Post
Here are some pictures of my 1966 C10 Chevy Stageway Crew Cab.
I love your truck! Too funny that there is another Chevy of the same vintage across the street!
studeclunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 04:57 PM   #16
66Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahl4m View Post
i got a "stageway" truck about 25 yrs ago-then they was not worth anything ?? i should of bought several of them ! them stageways -was all built with a axe & bf hammer !! my rockers was done very badly -had a new set made up locally & are nice ! most of the frame welds were BAAAAD ! mine had a piece of rr track welded upside down to the bottom of frame& looked like it was scrapped on everything low in the road!i did find a 1967 c-30 chassis mount camper frame -a little taller & longer {i need to cut several feet out of it } i have a 6 ft stepside & fleetside boxes -dont know which to use ?? my front & rear susp. came out of my wrecked & rusted 1987 crew cab single wheel-bolted right in! probably use a 5th wheel ball in bed & be able to use a car trailer behind it. the roof is amazing how it was stretched ?? i gues id call it that -it is not warped ?? i do need to put a bb window in it,& new dash& a good media blast ? it is not much room in the back seat -like my carryall BUT should make a good hauler & show truck -try to post pics soon ! if the truck is nice -you will not regret it ! very very gooodgood investment! take care steve

Post some pictures of yours when you get a chance. I would love to see it. I have to agree with you on your statement that it is a good investment. These years of Crew Cabs are few and far between when you try and find one.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:21 AM   #17
62 bigwindow

Thanks guys for all the advice and info
I hope you guys are right that finding and buying one is a good investment
Mine is on the way....
Old 08-27-2017, 01:32 PM   #18
The Rocknrod

Oh man, you have to know when their kidding.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:31 PM   #19
wahl4m

steve -did you buy the truck ?? we need pics if you can ?? i always like to see other crew cabs ! im thinking them "crown " trucks had longer rear doors ?? maybe somebody can confirm this ? OR MAYBE THE LONG DOOR ONE I SEEN WAS ORDERED THAT WAY ?? pics are great ! i know i need to post some of mine ! it just needs to be cleaned up a little bit ! plus ive been using it as a storage unit ! thanks mike
wahl4m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:56 PM   #20
62 bigwindow

1964 from upper mid west
Home in NC now
Attached Images