The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2018, 02:12 PM   #1
jdunnalp

Wiper Crank Arm and Engine Bling (bait)

I actually think I have an issue that I can't find an answer to on the boards. It's simple really. Is there different size crank arms that mount to the wiper motor?

Back story. Truck is 1970 C-10 resto-mod started by my father. He passed a year ago and asked me to finish it. More on that in another post one day. Motor is new, parks fine. Driver side of transmission works fine. Passenger side is binding up like it is too long. It stops the motor. The transmission and crank arm appear to be new. I checked old greasy parts from tear down and found two crank arms that match dimensions of one installed. Maybe the transmission is incorrect? I really can't figure this out, it all looks right according to assembly manual and all threads I've researched here.

Please help. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

jdunnalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:46 PM   #2
SeanB242

Re: Wiper Crank Arm and Engine Bling (bait)

Not sure I understand what your saying. But the bracket that’s bolted to the motor will be pointing toward the front of the truck when the arms are hooked up.
SeanB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:44 PM   #3
jdunnalp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanB242 View Post
Not sure I understand what your saying. But the bracket that’s bolted to the motor will be pointing toward the front of the truck when the arms are hooked up.
When the bracket that is bolted to the motor, which is what I call the crank arm, is pointed toward front of the truck both arms can go on fine. When motor is turned, by hand or with switch turned on, it stops at about 10 o'clock position. It has fully pushed the passenger arm to it's fullest distance and can go no further. Once I pop the arms off, I push it to the 9 o'clock position and as seen in the photos the passenger arm is too long to fit on the crank arm. Again, driver side has no issue. That's why I'm wondering if there is a shorter crank arm that mounts to the motor.

Another way to solve it would be, can somebody measure how long there linkage arms are either from end to end for each or from center of hole?
Old 05-18-2018, 09:30 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Have you read this thread?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=380901

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:34 PM   #5
jdunnalp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
Have you read this thread?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=380901

LockDoc
Yes, it’s not a park issue. Is it not discernible from my pics? The linkage (for pass side) in its furthest out position will not secure onto the post of the arm.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-19-2018, 07:07 AM   #6
KevinK7

I don't even have my truck here to look at, so probably not the best to comment, but do the wiper transmission arms on these trucks have any 'bend' to them? (as in they are not straight). If I'm looking at the pics correctly, it appears the Pass arm is about 1/2" too long.
The reason I ask this is that on 1st gen Camaros (that I'm a 'little' familiar with) the arms are not straight.
Total long shot, but figured I'd throw it out there. Sounds like you already compared to other arms, so this may not be the issue.
Hopefully someone can get you some measurments to compare.

It's these odd issues that are always 'fun' to resolve ; )
KevinK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:44 PM   #7
toolboxchev

Are the arms reversed? I believe they are 2 and almost identical. Boy your Father did some real nice work on that rig. I would be proud to own something like that. And drive it!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote