The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2019, 08:13 PM   #1
03BlkZ

Transmission Question

My 70 currently has a 3 on the tree and I am not sure what transmission that is. The truck is a short bed with a 350 engine. I want to know how difficult it is to rebuild this transmission or about what it would cost. Some have told me to upgrade to an automatic I stead but this is the truck I learned to drive in as a kid and also the very first vehicle I ever drove so I want to keep it original for nostalgia purposes. Thanks!
03BlkZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 09:13 PM   #2
notsolo

Re: Transmission Question

Most likely 3 speed is a Saginaw. Used in many cars and trucks. This was out of a "70".
Attached Images

notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 09:15 PM   #3
68bowtie

Not sure but here’s a bump for ya

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:18 PM   #4
dmjlambert

If I had 3 on the tree I think I would probably keep it that way, but I think a lot of these trucks that have survived are automatic, and it turns out I got a truck with automatic. I remember driving my Dad's 74 Chevy truck with 3 on the tree and it was very trouble free. Was your transmission working fine, or having a malfunction and that's why you're thinking of overhaul? I was just imagining you could service it, perhaps replace a seal if it was leaking, and just drive it as is. Sorry, I'm not a lot of help on your post, but I would be interested in how it works out for you, so I can learn.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:33 PM   #5
jcwren

As I understand it, the Saginaw is pretty rugged. Usually where people have problems is the shift linkages getting tangled up.
jcwren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 05:19 AM   #6
03BlkZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
If I had 3 on the tree I think I would probably keep it that way, but I think a lot of these trucks that have survived are automatic, and it turns out I got a truck with automatic. I remember driving my Dad's 74 Chevy truck with 3 on the tree and it was very trouble free. Was your transmission working fine, or having a malfunction and that's why you're thinking of overhaul? I was just imagining you could service it, perhaps replace a seal if it was leaking, and just drive it as is. Sorry, I'm not a lot of help on your post, but I would be interested in how it works out for you, so I can learn.
The transmission worked fine last time the truck was driven but that was about 20 years ago. This is actually my dads truck that he bought new in 1970 and daily drove it for 30 years and ever once touched the transmission. He estimates it to have about 350000 miles on it so I figure it's due. When I was 18 I bought my first performance car and when I did that he bought the truck I was driving from me and parked the 70. It has been sitting in his shop since. He has always wanted to fix it up but never had the time but now he is retired from a 42 year career in auto body and paint repair. We are going to split the cost of the repairs rather it is frame off or just getting it going to drive. It will remain at his house to enjoy but the title now has my name on it so this will be a great project for my dad and I to spend so time together and make some memories. There are already so many memories with this truck. As I said this is the very first vehicle I ever drove so I am a little attached. Sorry for the story!

Old 11-29-2019, 06:41 AM   #7
03BlkZ

Here are a few photos. Excuse the mess on and around the truck. That is step one starting Dec. 13th. We will be cleaning.out the shop and getting it up on some jack stands and start evaluating what we actually want to do to it.

Old 11-29-2019, 09:16 AM   #8
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
Most likely 3 speed is a Saginaw. Used in many cars and trucks. This was out of a "70".
Yours is a Muncie in the pic.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:25 AM   #9
03BlkZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Yours is a Muncie in the pic.
How can you tell?
Old 11-29-2019, 10:07 AM   #10
geezer#99

Saginaw has one bolt dead center at the top of the side cover. Muncie has two that are spaced apart.

Good story about your dads truck. Awesome looking truck. Good bones.
I think you’re getting ahead of yourself. You’ve barely started on the truck and you’re speculating on what needs fixed.
Drag it out, clean it up, get it started, get it safe to move, get it to stop, and then decide an action plan.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:44 AM   #11
03BlkZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Saginaw has one bolt dead center at the top of the side cover. Muncie has two that are spaced apart.

Good story about your dads truck. Awesome looking truck. Good bones.
I think you’re getting ahead of yourself. You’ve barely started on the truck and you’re speculating on what needs fixed.
Drag it out, clean it up, get it started, get it safe to move, get it to stop, and then decide an action plan.
Thanks! I agree with you. Our plan as of right now is to get it out of the shop and clean it up good. Clean the shop out to make room to work on it then get it back in the shop to put it up on jack stands and begin an evaluation of what we need to do. The engine will either need rebuilt or replaced. It was rebuilt about 30 years ago and the block was bored .030 over at that time. It may need to be replaced. We just assume the transmission and rear end need to be gone thru since they have never been opened up and lik I said we estimate the truck to have 350,000 ish miles on it. We want to do at least a minimum of disk brakes on the front if not all around. I just want to get moving on it so my dad can still enjoy it and it will be a nice project for us that then I can pass down later also.
Old 11-29-2019, 11:52 AM   #12
Boog
laying low

If I’m not mistaken the Saginaw has a big S cast in the case or side plate doesn’t it?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:56 AM   #13
weim55

If your truck came from the factory with a 350 it will have the heavy duty Muncie M 13 three speed, also used with the 396 V-8. The six cylinder and 307 V8 came with the standard three speed Saginaw. If yours is the Muncie it is a husky very strong three speed. Upon disassembly, I wouldn’t be surprised one bit to find very little if any hard parts that need replacement. Maybe just a re-seal and go.

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 12:39 PM   #14
03BlkZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by weim55 View Post
If your truck came from the factory with a 350 it will have the heavy duty Muncie M 13 three speed, also used with the 396 V-8. The six cylinder and 307 V8 came with the standard three speed Saginaw. If yours is the Muncie it is a husky very strong three speed. Upon disassembly, I wouldn’t be surprised one bit to find very little if any hard parts that need replacement. Maybe just a re-seal and go.

Steve weim55 Colorado
Awesome info. Thanks! Yes this truck did come with the 350 .
Old 11-29-2019, 04:58 PM   #15
Gigem

Keep the 3 on the tree. Do not convert to automatic.
1972 Chevelle SS Convertible (gone)
1973 Chevy Corvette (gone)
1967 Chevy Camaro (STOLEN!)
Gigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:49 PM   #16
kidatheart

I learned to drive on a 3 on the tree. First it was about a 65 suburban the school district had that we used to drive around to mow school yards in the summer(I was 14 and they thought I was 16). It was a 3 on the tree. Then I got a 1962 Studebaker lark-3 on the tree-my first paint job-I was still 14. Then I got a job delivering furniture in a 72 chevy pick up-3 on the tree. I was 15-they thought I was 16(are you starting to see a pattern here?) I have a special place in my heart for them, and lots of good memories driving them. I vote you leave it a 3 speed. I hope to have another one some day, but they are getting hard to find. Seems most have either been converted to floor shift, changed to 4 speed, or are now automatics. Good luck and get that jewel back on the road.
kidatheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 09:17 PM   #17
03BlkZ

I know it will be hard to tell with put cleaning it up but here is a picture of the transmission. It has 50 years of dirt and grime on it so if you can't tell what it is I understand.
Thanks!

Old 12-16-2019, 09:49 PM   #18
weim55

The goofy photo bucket Mark is right over the transmission picture. Here’s some pictures to ID the unit........

Muncie 3 speed:
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2019, 09:50 PM   #19
weim55

Saginaw 3 speed:
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2019, 10:40 PM   #20
03BlkZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by weim55 View Post
The goofy photo bucket Mark is right over the transmission picture. Here’s some pictures to ID the unit........

Muncie 3 speed:
What are y'all using to upload pics? I didn't realize photo bucket was putting a logo over the pics.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:47 PM   #21
jcwren

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BlkZ View Post
What are y'all using to upload pics? I didn't realize photo bucket was putting a logo over the pics.
The forum supports it directly. You click the 'Attachment' button (you may need to select the 'Go Advanced' button to see it). Then you when the new window opens, you select 'Choose file', find it on your computer, then 'Upload'. You can upload up to 5 images per post. When you're done uploading images, select 'Close Window'.

Exact wording may vary slightly, as I didn't go through the process to get the exact text.

Last edited by jcwren; 12-16-2019 at 10:52 PM.
jcwren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:53 PM   #22
03BlkZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwren View Post
The forum supports it directly. You click the 'Attachment' button (you may need to select the 'Go Advanced' button to see it). Then you when the new window opens, you select 'File', find it on your computer, then 'Upload'. You can upload up to 5 images per post.

Exact wording may vary slightly, as I didn't go through the process to get the exact text.
Got it, thanks! This site is different from other car forums I am on. Here is another try at the pic.
Attached Images