The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2015, 11:21 PM   #101
68basket

Re: !964 Biscayne. Birdie Sue.

Great job! You rocked this build
68basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:11 AM   #102
yahoos

More to come in the future. Cheap paint job will be done. I would like to build a roof rack for the car. Vintage a/c. small hidden system in the trunk. For now I wanna close up a few loose ends find the vibration and enjoy it some! I will keep this updated with pics and even some progress on other projects that will be going on around me.!
Old 01-14-2015, 11:52 PM   #103
Mello Mel
African-American Shaolin Monk

hey, do you plan on cruising it low ? if so what size tires are you going to run up front ? my car looks identical stance wise.
Mello Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:49 AM   #104
yahoos

I can drive slammed all the way down and still have good clearance as long as im going straight lol I cant remember tire size right off hand but I will get it for you. You have any pics of your car??
Old 01-18-2015, 09:14 AM   #105
Mello Mel
African-American Shaolin Monk

trying to get them to a device to upload pics... Just built a roof rack for it this past weekend.
Mello Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:52 AM   #106
yahoos

I was wanting to build one for mine!
Old 01-18-2015, 12:35 PM   #107
yahoos

Well ive had nothing but driveline issues since ive been trying to drive the car. First test drive. Different vibrations and a clunk at certain speeds/rpms. I went over everything I had done thinking it was me not the driveshaft work I had done. Online I read that the front driveshaft will only spline back together with the ends 90* apart from eachother. I remember mine splined on in line with eachother. Great they did the front shaft wrong. I called him explained this to him. He LAUGHED at me and said young man thats not your issue. You had us add a slip on the back and that may cause vibration that you cant ever get rid of? WTF are you serious. If you are a driveshaft expert explain to me when any vibration should be ignored and accepted. The problem is that yall set these inline and not turned at 90* how gm balanced and engineered it. It has to be out of balance now. He LAUGHED at me again. He says every oem application sets them up like we did you explain to me why this one is different. I dont know! Im no the gm engineer from 1964! I said you explain to me why 1957 and 1965 have normal frames under them and ones from 58-64 have x frames under them! I dont know why they did the **** the did but they designed it like that! Laughs again, bring it in and we will have a look at it. My 45 years of experience tells me that you are wrong.

Blood boiling I wait til my lunch break and go up there first thing.

I walk in, the guy who does the actual labor (Ryan) is standing there. Mr chuckles from my phone conversation (Larry) no where around. RYan- lets have a look here. Me- Its out of balance bad, Gm set these years up for this to spline on at 90* and now it doesnt, so yall cut it, turned it, and set it up incorrectly and its really out of whack. If yall balance it, it should be fine. Ryan- We can balance it no problem, just need to get the bearing off here. ($100 CPP bearing) Me- I dont have tools to remove that, I tried our press and it just started stretching the poly. Ryan- Picks up the shaft sits it towards me, IM not being responsible with getting that off there. Me- Who cut and welded my driveshaft? Ryan- I did. Me- So you will be responsible for making it wrong but not responsible for fixing your mistake? I slam the driveshaft back towards him. Larry the chuckle clown comes from the back. - Lets have a look here. Me- Your partner here agreed this was supposed to come at 90* and yall did it wrong. So lets sit your 45 years experience and disrespectful laughs to the side and discuss the fix. Larry- I cant make no promises that we wont damage this bearing but we will get it off and get it balanced. Me- do what you go to do. you break that bearing we will cross that bridge when we get there.

Now I honestly figured they balanced each shaft. I did not know they would set it up complete and balance it. I know dumb of me that should be pretty common sense but i havent had driveshaft work done before and I figured a good business may explain that like " Hey your having alot of work done and after shortening that one and adding a telescope to the rear, it would need balanced and it needs to be assembled as a unit for us to balance it" that never happened because he wanted to sell me u joints and install and i said id do that to save on cost. So they did this work and didnt explain to me that it was a bad idea. Obviously just care about money and not turning out a good product.

Get my shaft back friday before they close. looks like **** with washers welded all over it from them obviously struggling to balance. Sweet hopefully I can get it in and cruise it this weekend since its warm. Go to the shop install it. Fingers crossed I head out for a test. Go down the road turn into a neighborhood. Give it a little gas get up to 25-30 mph. CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK.
Dangit! Its even louder now! WTF. i go home done for the day and frustrated to hell and back. Get up yesterday morning. Try to rule them out since i know they balanced it. Read up about setting the angles on a 2 piece drive shaft and head to the shop and get to work. Get her in the air at the height I will normaly drive. Start adjusting. got the front set right at 1.5*, hell ya im moving fast move on to the back. Start setting the rear. having more trouble adjusting. Get out from under the car and look at me picture i drew and clear my head. Yep im doing it right time to bust this thing out. Go to slide under the car and grab the rear shaft to pull myself under. CLUNK. I recognized that sound so fast. I grab the shaft and shook the fire out of that thing. CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK. i look up in the tunnel of the x frame and shake it again. CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK. Center bearing isnt moving but the telescoping part they added is. easy 1/16th play but close to 1/8th! This explains why this thing was covered in washers was the first thing in my head. Then i thought back to friday morning when I initially called him saying it was out of balance! he said that the vibration was from me having them add that telescoping part and it may be a vibration I cant ever get rid of! I think he knew it had slack in it!

They are not open on weekends, but I hope to god they are open tomorrow. I will be there waiting for them to open. I will not run this driveshaft now. I honestly believe anything they touch should not be trusted and is a safety hazard! I will try to get my money back but already no that answer so I will see what legal options I have.

I have not been angry or seriously made since I was like 16. These guys accomplished it. Im thrilled to see how the conversation goes tomorrow. It will be recorded too lol.

I drove her home right down the road. Just wanted to somewhat enjoy her after not getting to really drive it for close to a year. 6 months it sat from the rusty frame and been rebuilding it for 4 months now.

Any ways hope yalls week/weekend was better then mine!

BTW SHREVEPORT CLUTCH AND DRIVESHAFT! IF YOU ARE AROUND THE ARKLATEX AREA DO NOT USE THESE GUYS!.

On a better not. The rest of the car is doing great! Motor runs fantastic. Brakes work terrific, especially for being drums and a single line system. Trans seems to be performing well. Air suspension is operating wonderful. Power steering is nice too! She honestly does not feel like you are driving a old car. I think I will be more then pleased once i get me a good driveshaft.

I will keep yall updated!

Last edited by yahoos; 01-18-2015 at 12:45 PM.
yahoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:47 PM   #108
Advanced Design

Man, sorry to hear about the problems with the drive shaft. Can you post up a picture of it? Is the clunk caused by extra clearance where the two shafts slide together?

And of course working angles will contribute to vibration...gotta do some research to refresh my memory. Been a long time since I set up a multiple shaft for working angles.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:16 PM   #109
yahoos

I will get some pics later. I read to set these cars. and any 2 piece with the angle at the slip yoke and rearend to match at 1 to 1.5*. I will set them after I get a new shaft. The noise does come from the play in the 2 parts that slide.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:03 PM   #110
Advanced Design

Yahoos,

If you are interested here is a decent video for determining working angles...just in case it helps.
http://spicerparts.com/anglemaster/measuring-angles

When he talks about measuring the angle of the prop shaft from the shaft is different than how I've done. I always go to the u joint bearing cap using something like this..

http://bestone-meter.en.made-in-chin...-810-100-.html

or an oldf ashioned version like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/KENT-MOORE-T...-/121310945402

Use a smaller socket to set square and solid against the u-joint cap to determing the angle of that component. The guy in the video does a good job explaining determining that angle.

Of course this is done with the vehicle at ride height. Changing ride height will change the working angle of the u-joint.

One important item is the shaft with only one u-joint on it. That u-joint working angle should be between 1/10 and 1/2 degrees. The angles on the remaining two u-joints must be within 1/2 degree of each other.

And the u-joints must be in phase...think he mentioned that in the video.

Also-
For vehicles with 2-piece prop shaft systems, inspect the lateral alignment of the propeller shafts before proceeding:

From underneath the propeller shafts, look down the length of the shafts from front to rear. Inspect the alignment of the shafts to each other.

From underneath the shafts, if the propeller shafts are not aligned to each other in a straight line, then the lateral alignment of the prop shafts needs to be adjusted before proceeding.

And , I've had vehicles with vibration due to working angles, imbalanced drive shaft and a bad tail shaft bushing all on the same vehicle.

Hopefully this isn't confusing. If you need more info please ask or feel free to PM me.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:53 PM   #111
yahoos

No i did enough research that I understand measuring and setting the angels. The guy who lets me use his shop is retired dirt track and has the tools to determine the angels. Its very hard to determine the lateral as it runs the the tunnel in the middle of the x frame. I do understand the importance of that too. I started setting them the other day but can continue until I get a good to go balanced driveshaft. I guess i will just have to be alittle more patience.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:29 PM   #112
yahoos

here is where the clunk comes from. The small gap you can see above the arrow and between the shaft is some of the play in this section that telescopes. Push and pull on the shaft and the shaft goes back and forward opening and closing this gap. not good or acceptable.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:30 PM   #113
68basket

I Bought my rear slip shaft from cpp through summit. All the rear shafts are the same length. So you shouldn't have to worry about length. It does look like your slip section may be bad. Sorry for your bad luck. I got the rear shaft from cpp and had a new front section made here local. Quality looked the same on both shafts. I hope mine does Not vibrate when I finally get it going
Old 01-18-2015, 07:51 PM   #114
Advanced Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahoos View Post
here is where the clunk comes from. The small gap you can see above the arrow and between the shaft is some of the play in this section that telescopes. Push and pull on the shaft and the shaft goes back and forward opening and closing this gap. not good or acceptable.

Yep, that isn't good. If the shop was trying to balance both shafts as a unit with the play in the slip yoke there is no way it would balance. And will cause a vibration.

Once fixed the shaft can be balanced.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:28 PM   #115
yahoos

Yea there are washers welded all over the shaft as a unit from front to back, even stacked on top of eachother. Great indicator that something is not correct. I will be there tomorrow before they open waiting on them. I seriously doubt they are going to admit they are wrong and refund me. We will see how this all pans out. Either way after all their BS i dont trust their product and I see this online so I will call them tomorrow. Anyone have any experience with them?

http://www.dicksdriveshaft.com/lowrider2.html

doesnt look like a bad deal to me?
Old 01-18-2015, 08:54 PM   #116
Advanced Design

Haven't had experience with them and he has a good price compared to Denny's Drive Shaft...http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/c52_..._72_truck.html. Discontinued.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:58 PM   #117
HemiChallenger71

Sorry to hear about the shaft. Thanks for that link though! I like their center support bearing.

Arent x-frame cars a PITA?
HemiChallenger71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:22 PM   #118
yahoos

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiChallenger71 View Post
Sorry to hear about the shaft. Thanks for that link though! I like their center support bearing.

Arent x-frame cars a PITA?
Ya they are. Initially reading about these cars and bagging them everyone says how easy they are. Which they aint that bad. But all the little stuff adds up quick on the frustration level with them! Totally worth it tho. Once I get it on the road where I can daily drive it I will be the happiest I have been in a long time! Add the paint I want and vintage A/C and it only gets better.! Well worth all the work!
Old 01-21-2015, 01:09 PM   #119
yahoos

Ordered my CPP slip shaft for the rear. Hopefully it gets here I can have it balanced with my front shaft and get this thing on the road for good.

???Only other thing I have noticed its my power steering lines have a small leak. They are tight so im not sure what to do?

also just curious on opinions but Im getting tired of spending money on the car and was planning on painting it around april but now I think im going to wait and drive it for a year.
the current blue is pretty much a crap job. Only way to say it. I was thinking the car would look better if I did the roof white and the steelies white with maybe beauty rings? Thoughts?

When I actually paint her it will be light satin yellow with a gloss white roof
Old 01-21-2015, 01:31 PM   #120
68basket

Good deal on getting a new shaft coming. My cpp shaft looks like a quality piece. I like the look of your car right now and would not be in a rush to paint it at all. But if yo u do want to change it up a little then painting the roof should be easy enough.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:44 PM   #121
yahoos

She is defiantly a 10 footer! Looks pretty crappy up close. Cheap primer shot over what im sure is hidden rust. I don't hate the grey steelies but I don't love them either. Im limited to black, grey or white as fancy colors on wheels just aint my thing lol
Old 01-21-2015, 01:46 PM   #122
yahoos

I want the roof white. I want to build a roof rack that clamps on and off. I want to get vintage a/c in it before april. Thinking I would just add white wheels and beauty rings to the list
Old 01-21-2015, 01:49 PM   #123
68basket

i think the wheels would look good black, maybe grind the white walls a little wider. a roof rack would look great. AC is a must for me, its in my 60 wagon. Then you should drive the wheels off that thing!!
Old 01-21-2015, 05:04 PM   #124
yahoos

I just bought my first vehicle with AC like 4 months ago! lol I do want it in the car so I can indeed drive the tires off of it!
Old 01-21-2015, 07:22 PM   #125
yahoos

Heres a picture from my instagram. I really like the look of these cars from the rear.