The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2017, 07:51 PM   #1
C10 - C90 Bill

Pre-Bent OM Brake Lines ?

I need to change a Brake Line on the back of my '72 C-10. Is the quality all the same? Or are some better than others out there? I just need a regular steel Pre-Bent Line with the Factory type metal wrapping on it.

Also where would be the best place to get one at?

Thanks
C10 - C90 Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:00 PM   #2
jmking9

Re: Pre-Bent OM Brake Lines ?

I've used Inline Tube several times, and have always been satisfied.
www.inlinetube.com Or more specifically
http://www.inlinetube.com/_p/prd14/2...lines--ctb71r1 (Not sure if that's exactly what you're looking for)
Old 01-12-2017, 08:08 PM   #3
cleszkie

X2 on Inline Tube.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:12 PM   #4
Gmc.guy

If it's the rear line there isn't any tight bends. You could measure and get one at Napa. It has the wrap on it and is easily bend by hand over your knee. It will be cents that way compared to dollars. If you were doing the front ones or all of them a kit would save time. I understand getting a kit to save headache, but I'm cheap
Old 01-12-2017, 08:13 PM   #5
Gmc.guy

Any parts store I should say.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:22 PM   #6
LongBox

Just wondering why you are changing only one line. Is it damaged, or is it rusty? If it's rusty, might be worthwhile to change them all, just to be on the safe side.

Also wanted to add that lots of good things have been said about cupro-nickel brake lines. Easy to work with, resist corrosion, etc. etc. etc.

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:24 PM   #7
C10 - C90 Bill

Appreciate the replies.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:26 PM   #8
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I installed an entire set of brake lines on my 1972 GMC from Inline Tube and they are great!

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:40 PM   #9
57larry

go to any parts store, buy your lines and bend them yourself using a bender tool
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:46 PM   #10
Gmc.guy

I usually end up changing the rear by itself because I wreck it changing the brake hose, at the coupler under the cab I just cut the rear line and use a socket and a wrench. I have done the rear many times without a bender, but I do my own all around and cut/reflare where I need to when the pre-lengths are too long.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:21 AM   #11
truckdude239

Ive used i lie tube several times i ordered a whole kit but the axle lines didnt fit so they had me send my old lines in and they scaned them and made new ones and sent them back at no charge, turns out i had a 72 rear end instead of tbe 71 rear it had been swaped , i expected to have to pay more but they took cars of it

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:55 AM   #12
special-K
Special Order

Just because one section of line is rotten doesn't mean the rest will be equally rusted. If you look under the truck and they all look rusty, by all means swap them all out. I usually do only one because the only reason I am replacing is because the nut into the caliper or cylinder is rusted onto the line, which is due to exposure to the highly corrosive brake fluid and I end up wringing it off. I anticipated this when changing front brake hoses on my K2500 last summer, so I ordered the section that crosses the cross member and goes to the passenger side hose. The driver side I figured I could make easily. As it turns out soaking with PB Blaster did the trick and for once it came off with ease. The original line was in such good condition I elected to put that back in and keep the Inline section for the future.

The rear axle line I have bought from Inline for an HO52. It went in so easy it about jumped on there all by itself. Figure that's all the line that is down below the frame. The hose passes up into the frame, and the lines in the frame are in a much less vulnerable place. So, I only replaced the axle section...because it wrung off at the wheel cylinders (on a K/20 I had)

Now...if the truck was an 88-98 I'd go ahead and replace every line under the truck including brakes, fuel, and fuel return. Somehow in the 16 years between '72 and '88 GM managed to go backwards and use crappy made-to-rust tubing. I think that is made out of recycled 73-77 Chevy Truck sheet metal

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:07 AM   #13
C10 - C90 Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBox View Post
Just wondering why you are changing only one line. Is it damaged, or is it rusty? If it's rusty, might be worthwhile to change them all, just to be on the safe side.
I had to change front Brake Hoses and Rear Wheel Cylinders. In other words I had to crack open all 4 lines. They all broke loose fine but not the L/R. It just would not co-operate and twisted off. I believe it may have been half twisted anyway as someone did a horrible brake job on it just before I bought the truck back in 2000. I had to half do it all over again back then, lol.

By the way, if anyone is counting, that's right, I haven't done any brake work on it in 16 years, lol. I've kept the miles down on it and it's also the way I drive. When I see a Red Light ahead I start backing down right away. I also downshift quite a bit.

Funny as lots of times the guy in the lane next to me races by, then hits his brakes hard to stop. I'm backing down as mentioned and by the time I get there the light is now Green and I zoom by him leaving him in the dust, lol.

BTW, I also changed the Front Pads, but the Rear Shoes are still good.

Last edited by C10 - C90 Bill; 01-13-2017 at 11:14 AM.