The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2014, 06:16 PM   #376
dsraven

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

gm stuff try gmupfitter and go through to see what you need from different models.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:07 PM   #377
dug224

I bought a SWB bed and tailgate from a '94 Chevy truck at the U-Pull-It place. Eight (I think) 18 mm bolts and it was off. The inside of the bed is flawless. Jim and I are brainstorming on how we can use the majority of the fresh bed including the bed front, bed floor, inside walls and latching tailgate and still make it look old. Ideas include replacing the '94 tailgate "Chevrolet" text with the text off of the '59 gate. All of the latching linkage appears to be above the area in which we would recess the '59 text panel. The '59 has a pretty large bondo filled dent in the top. May simply hang the '59 sides on the '94 bed. It will get a bit interesting around the '59 taillights since they are mounted on a flat surface and the back of the '94 (structure and tailgate) has a curve to it. The rest of the truck has a bunch of curves. Adding a few on the tail end of the truck will fit right in. Regardless, I will still need to section the bed walls. My first move will probably be to pop a line 3/8" on the outside of the pockets and remove the bed sides.
Attached Images

dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:34 PM   #378
Mac the Yankee

Dug,

How well do the '59 side panels line up with the '94? If things do line up well, it should be a fairly simple matter to reskin the '94 bed with the earlier sides. Now, trying to get the modern internals of the tailgate into the '59 would be a real feat !
Mac the Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:00 AM   #379
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac the Yankee View Post
Dug,

How well do the '59 side panels line up with the '94? If things do line up well, it should be a fairly simple matter to reskin the '94 bed with the earlier sides. Now, trying to get the modern internals of the tailgate into the '59 would be a real feat !
Preliminary looks show that the outside dimension of the '59 bed width (side to side) is wider than the '94 which is good. Front to back they are about the same which, in my mind, is not as critical as the width with regard to the dimension. On the tailgate, my initial intention is to simply inset and weld the '59 "CHEVROLET" text on the '94 bed and avoid all the perfectly functional latch mechanism. The challenge will be maintaining the top to bottom curve on the back of bed at the taillights. What I really need is an in-fill panel that replaces the '94 taillights. Should be pretty straight forward making one if I need it. This weekend's plan is to move the truck over and pull the new bed inside the garage next to the truck so I can really start to figure it out. dug
Old 07-11-2014, 08:23 AM   #380
LSXapache

http://grantkustoms.com/catalog/fill...ler-p-280.html

sure you can find em cheaper with some searching this is the 1st thing that popped up
Old 07-11-2014, 05:02 PM   #381
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXapache View Post
http://grantkustoms.com/catalog/fill...ler-p-280.html

sure you can find em cheaper with some searching this is the 1st thing that popped up
THANKS! Unbelievable what is out there. The search is on. All I really probably need is the portion facing the rear so I may be able to fab it out of a piece of the side. Dug
Old 07-11-2014, 09:15 PM   #382
ricott

Great score on the bed. I like your idea for using the tailgate. There is a build on here (old) that dealt with reworking the tailgate. Search for "Yukon Ratrod". I planned to steal his idea (that is very simular to what you are thinking on the taligate). Look at post 107/108 for how he grafted in the "Chevrolet".

I am getting inspired in Columbus (Goodguys) this weekend. I probably saw (and photographed) 50 to 60 AD and TF trucks today. Two years ago there might have been 10. I have seen a lot of great cars, and some great paint ideas. The 58-62 Corvettes have also got me drooling again to get off my rear!!!
ricott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:16 AM   #383
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricott View Post
Great score on the bed. I like your idea for using the tailgate. There is a build on here (old) that dealt with reworking the tailgate. Search for "Yukon Ratrod". I planned to steal his idea (that is very simular to what you are thinking on the taligate). Look at post 107/108 for how he grafted in the "Chevrolet".

I am getting inspired in Columbus (Goodguys) this weekend. I probably saw (and photographed) 50 to 60 AD and TF trucks today. Two years ago there might have been 10. I have seen a lot of great cars, and some great paint ideas. The 58-62 Corvettes have also got me drooling again to get off my rear!!!
Looked at Yukon Ratrod's build. That guy is good. Really like what he did with the gate and especially the taillights. The curved gate, he and I both agree, is curved in such a manner that it better matches the curves of the side. Thanks once again.

Columbus Goodguys sounds like fun.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:21 AM   #384
Mac the Yankee

Okay, I feel like an idiot- have been searching for the "yukon ratrod" with no luck... could someone provide a link ?
Old 07-12-2014, 01:16 PM   #385
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac the Yankee View Post
Okay, I feel like an idiot- have been searching for the "yukon ratrod" with no luck... could someone provide a link ?
Try this. Posting 106 I believe.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=391290&page=5
Old 07-12-2014, 05:44 PM   #386
dug224

Cut the damaged passenger side off the new bed after coming up with a plan to hang the '59 sides off the '94. Sheet metal below nice and straight. After much measuring we were surprised to find out that the bed is more narrow in the rear than in the front by 1-1/2". In other words, the bed side top rails are not perpendicular to the front of the bed or the tailgate. The red line is perpendicular to the bed ends and represents the approximate location I will be butt welding the '59 to the '94 which means that the combined top rail will get wider as it goes towards the rear. May add a piece to the top rail so it looks rectangular from the top. Also, the inner bed sides narrow as well from front to back. After I remove the driver side, the next move will be to cut loose the top rails, tailgate support structure and bed front (but keeping them all together) so I can move the bed floor up to clear the T.B. suspension. Looks like one of the '94 bed cross members will need to be moved since it conflicts with the highest point on the T.B. suspension.

Note the Highlander in the background. Headlights had yellowed and faded badly. Polishing them no longer worked. Sanded with 1000 then 1200 Wet/Dry sandpaper then painted with Rustoleum clear coat for made for plastic headlights. Graingers sells them by the can. Bought a case of 6 from Home Depot for about $5/can. Also did the '08 Dodge in the background. Works incredibly well.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2014, 02:24 PM   #387
Mac the Yankee

Thanks for the link, Dug- looking forward to seeing how the "merging" works out!
Old 07-13-2014, 05:16 PM   #388
ricott

Thanks for bringing up the taillights - I had forgotten about them, and liked the idea. I started a thread in the General section of the 47-59 Board with pictures from Columbus. It was a really great show this year with a wide variety of cars/trucks. Looking forward to your updates.
Ricky
Old 07-17-2014, 10:17 AM   #389
dug224

Removed the '94 bed sides and set it on the frame.

- Overall plan is as follows:
1. Mount the '94 bed as shown in picture 1 with proper rake and cab-to-bed gaps.
2. Release the bed front and tailgate structure from the bed floor.
3. Section the sides keeping the the top of the bed front and top of the tailgate structure connected to the side top rails.
4. Lower the top rail, bed front and tailgate structure as a unit to a point where, when mounted, the '59 sides line up.
5. Move wheel openings.
- Picture 2 is the measurement from the front TB mounting bracket to the bottom of the bed cross member. About 9" away.
- Picture 3 is the rear one at about 2" above the frame rail.
- Picture 4 is the middle bed cross member shown sitting directly on the frame rail where it belongs. The front of it is butted up against the complicated TB spring perch assembly which just so happens creates pretty acceptable cab-to-bed gaps.
- If you look closely enough in picture 5, you can see that the high point of the spring perch assembly is about 3/4" below the bottom of the bed floor. Will move the bed down by notching the '94 cross member. May even rest the cross member on the spring perch assembly with a rubber pad between. The Chevy engineers went to allot of trouble to create this complicated spring perch assembly to get the exhaust over the rear end. Appears to me they over thought it. The clearances are way over the top. Looks like they could have made it flat and gotten nearly the same clearance.
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2014, 10:22 AM   #390
dug224

...oh, a surprise vintage VW slid out of one of the bed pockets when I disassembled the bed this last time. Will keep the factory wheels/tires and, since the patina is perfect, just clearcoat it.
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2014, 12:25 PM   #391
_Ogre

i've always thought the bed sides on tf trucks was too low and should have come up to the body line under the door glass like the height you have the bed in this pic.
it would take a lot of work especially on a fleetside bed but it would look good and custom
not like i'm trying to add another year to your build, dug, just saying...

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:29 PM   #392
ricott

[QUOTE=_Ogre;6764734]i've always thought the bed sides on tf trucks was too low and should have come up to the body line under the door glass like the height you have the bed in this pic.
it would take a lot of work especially on a fleetside bed but it would look good and custom
not like i'm trying to add another year to your build, dug, just saying...

Orge, you may talk him into it! Dug mentioned he had the same idea - and had the same reaction - a lot of work. With a panel truck quarter it would be easier, but you would loose the spears. Thanks for posting the pictures side by side - now you have me thinking (dreaming!).
Old 07-17-2014, 01:41 PM   #393
dug224

Orge: Interesting that you bring bed height up. I agree with you. Ricky (Ricott) and I were having a conversation about that very thing. After I notch the center bed cross member to get it down as low as it will go, I will study it more closely. Ricky mentioned a truck he saw where the guy used panel truck sides. This allowed the guy to set the height where ever he wanted it. Those sides have no bullets. Note that the one I included shows that top body line in line with the bottom of the cab windows as you mentioned. Sure would have been smart of me to have removed the '94 sides a bit more carefully. Gotta learn how to use photo shop.....thx dug
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2014, 04:57 PM   #394
Kim57

You're doing a real nice job on all the mods to get what you want.
Kim
Old 07-17-2014, 09:27 PM   #395
dug224

Although worthy of serious consideration by a more seasoned fabricator, I decided not to make the bed taller to line up with the body line just under the cab glass.

Photo 1 - Jim came over and we hung the '59 on the '94 bed side using some SS hooks my Dad bent up many years ago to hang stuff up in his garage. Body line nearly lines up perfectly.

Photo 2 - Approximately 3/4" gap between bed and cab. Remember, the center bed floor cross member is jammed up against the spring perch cluster. If I don't modify it, I can't move it any closer which is probably ok.

Photo 3 - Aligned the bed front flange on the '59 side with the bed front '94 flange and determined it should go back to the stock location fairly easily.

Photo 4 - With the bed aligned as stated in photo 3, the back curvature of the '94 tailgate assembly is 3/4" beyond the back of the '59 bed end. Should be able to work out a sheet metal transition to get there using some of the bed side material I have left.

Photo 5 - If I don't notch the center bed floor cross member to fit over the frame and close the gap above the spring perch, I lose approximately 5-1/2" of bed depth which will give me a bed depth of approximately 13-1/2". If I decide to do the notch, the numbers will be 4-1/2" lost with 14-1/2" bed depth.
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2014, 11:23 PM   #396
OldChevysRule

Looking good Doug. I need to get over there and see your project in person. I finally got back to work on mine today. The more I take apart, the more rust and problems I find!

Trucks don't mind if you have another truck just for "running around town".

My build thread: Double Jeopardy
OldChevysRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:53 AM   #397
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChevysRule View Post
Looking good Doug. I need to get over there and see your project in person. I finally got back to work on mine today. The more I take apart, the more rust and problems I find!
Welcome home. We will get together. Man, you need to get the military to teach you how to weld and fabricate!
Old 12-18-2014, 05:26 PM   #398
rustymarco

i start my project like a month ago (56 stepside on 2007 trailblazer rolling chassis) without know if others have done the same project, after i start i search in the web and i found a bunch of similar project and i like to see how every body have different ways to figure it out put all together, the only problem that i have for now is the front wheel clearance when the wheels are full turned, i want the truck the most low possible but there is my limit the front wheels. and is not easy to find rims whit less offset than the originals so i think the only way is put very low tires on 17" rims.
for the floor i do this way because i use 4x4 trans
Attached Images

Last edited by rustymarco; 12-18-2014 at 05:32 PM.
rustymarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:05 PM   #399
rustymarco

-----

Last edited by rustymarco; 12-18-2014 at 06:13 PM. Reason: how delete comments ??????? this is very difficult to use
rustymarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:38 AM   #400
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymarco View Post
i start my project like a month ago (56 stepside on 2007 trailblazer rolling chassis) without know if others have done the same project, after i start i search in the web and i found a bunch of similar project and i like to see how every body have different ways to figure it out put all together, the only problem that i have for now is the front wheel clearance when the wheels are full turned, i want the truck the most low possible but there is my limit the front wheels. and is not easy to find rims whit less offset than the originals so i think the only way is put very low tires on 17" rims.
for the floor i do this way because i use 4x4 trans
rustymarco: 4x4? That will be interesting. Have not seen a 4x4 done yet. Although you have the front drive axles going through the oil pan, I can't imagine that the geometry is that much different than my 2WD. Keep an eye on Ricky's (Ricott) build. You can find him on my thread. In general, all I did was install the body on the frame so it looked like it was lowered. All the suspension is stock. No apparent wheel/body interference at this time on my build. I am using factory Trailblazer wheels and the offset is fine. Ricky utilized after market wheels and, if I remember correctly, will be lowering his more than mine. Remember, include a lot of pictures for our entertainment. Good luck.....dug