The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2016, 04:55 PM   #426
ricott

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

I love your progress. Thanks for taking the time to post your solutions - it will really save me some time when I reach this part of my build. I really wish I was working on my truck instead of every other project, but it probably be after I retire (at the end of this year) before I can get back on it.
ricott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:00 PM   #427
dug224

So, couldn't stop! Went ahead and hung the driver side bed side which took all of 10 minutes since I used the passenger side as a template. In addition, installed the under tailgate structure and tailgate. Due to the current length of the bed floor, it will not close entirely. Remember, the bed in front of the wheels is still out about 1/2" due to the fact that they are both hitting the leading edge of the wheel tub. I will trim that in the near future. Also have to figure out how to install the top rail on the front of the bed.
Attached Images

dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:05 PM   #428
dug224

Here is a shot of both rear wheels. I will get an additional 1/2" gap in front of the tires and call it a day. Driver bed side can still go forward. I failed to cut the notch for the bed pocket far enough forward. No cutting wheel opening and moving forward!!! Also, want to work in some bed tie downs for hauling stuff. One in each corner tied to at least the bed cross beams if not the truck frame.
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2016, 07:07 PM   #429
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricott View Post
I love your progress. Thanks for taking the time to post your solutions - it will really save me some time when I reach this part of my build. I really wish I was working on my truck instead of every other project, but it probably be after I retire (at the end of this year) before I can get back on it.
Glad to do it. Seems to help me execute better. Good to hear about your retirement schedule. You will not be disappointed.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:37 PM   #430
waybad

do you know if you had used a 4x4 frame would it have worked? this is a wonderful build!!
waybad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:15 PM   #431
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

That's a lot of work, but it really makes the truck look perfect!
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:17 PM   #432
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybad View Post
do you know if you had used a 4x4 frame would it have worked? this is a wonderful build!!
Thanks and yes, I think it will work. My 2WD frame has provisions in it to be 4WD so I suspect the geometry is the same. I can't tell the difference between a 2WD and 4WD Trailblazer when i see one on the street so no radical stance difference. RUSTYMARCO did a great build and I believe his was 4WD based on a question he asked me. Here's his build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653590

Probably have to use the same size tire all around if you were to keep the 4WD

Start a thread if you get going. Good luck. Dug
Old 02-09-2016, 08:22 PM   #433
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDriver View Post
That's a lot of work, but it really makes the truck look perfect!
Thanks....based on my photo log, looks like I took 2015 off which means I fell behind on all the builds out there. Man, yours is incredible.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:29 PM   #434
waybad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug224 View Post
Thanks and yes, I think it will work. My 2WD frame has provisions in it to be 4WD so I suspect the geometry is the same. I can't tell the difference between a 2WD and 4WD Trailblazer when i see one on the street so no radical stance difference. RUSTYMARCO did a great build and I believe his was 4WD based on a question he asked me. Here's his build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653590

Probably have to use the same size tire all around if you were to keep the 4WD

Start a thread if you get going. Good luck. Dug
thanks.. I have a s10 4x4 frame right now, but it would probably be easier to put a ls motor in one if it came with one.. lot less fabing I think..
Old 02-09-2016, 08:42 PM   #435
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybad View Post
thanks.. I have a s10 4x4 frame right now, but it would probably be easier to put a ls motor in one if it came with one.. lot less fabing I think..
If you want to save a bunch of time and effort, I would look long and hard for a Trailblazer that already had the 6.0 (SS) or the 5.3. Even getting a LWB and shortening would be a good bit less effort. COPART is a good source for wrecked vehicles and you may even live in an area that does not require you to have a dealers license to buy. Not the case here. Becomes just a body swap at that point. To get my 5.3 to fit, all I did was buy some 5.3 engine mounts and it bolted right in. The transmission cross member was different so I had to modify it.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:48 PM   #436
waybad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug224 View Post
If you want to save a bunch of time and effort, I would look long and hard for a Trailblazer that already had the 6.0 (SS) or the 5.3. Even getting a LWB and shortening would be a good bit less effort. COPART is a good source for wrecked vehicles and you may even live in an area that does not require you to have a dealers license to buy. Not the case here. Becomes just a body swap at that point. To get my 5.3 to fit, all I did was buy some 5.3 engine mounts and it bolted right in. The transmission cross member was different so I had to modify it.
yeah I think you are correct
Old 02-09-2016, 11:21 PM   #437
dsraven

nice work.lots done in short order. miller time now. really though, you HAD to try your bike in there? a little showy isn't it? (I woulda done the same thing, ha ha).
I'm jealous of your progress. mine always seems to take back burner to someone else's emergency.
keep the pics coming, looks AWESOME!
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:28 AM   #438
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
nice work.lots done in short order. miller time now. really though, you HAD to try your bike in there? a little showy isn't it? (I woulda done the same thing, ha ha).
I'm jealous of your progress. mine always seems to take back burner to someone else's emergency.
keep the pics coming, looks AWESOME!
..wanted to put the TL250 in there as well but we ran out of enthusiasm.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:58 PM   #439
dsraven

ha ha, that's good. maybe first thing next time out there then?
that box looks like it was made for the truck. I do think, like you, that a little more room in front of the rear tire would look better. for bed tie downs check out what the chevy avalanche has. they fold so they aren't in the way when not used. nice idea. for waybad, yes, the wheels/tires need to be all the same circumference on the 4x4 models. you prolly knew that though.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:27 PM   #440
dug224

In an attempt to not create a bunch of new work moving the bed side further towards the cab, I started studying other ways to gain "front of rear tire to fender distance".
- Current tire sizes are as follows:
Front: 245-45-18
Rear: 255-55-18
- With passenger bed side in current location, the "front of the front wheel" and the "front of the rear wheel" are approximately the same distance from the fronts of their respective wheel openings at about 3.5". The "front tire to wheel opening" is approx. 1-7/8". The "rear tire to wheel opening" is approx. 3/4".
- If I keep the 255 rear tire width and drop to a 50 series tire, the single wall height drops from 5.52" to 5.02" adding 0.5" to my .075" gap for a total of 1.25". Overall, the rear of the truck drops 1" which, in my opinion, would not hurt the stance of the truck since it has a substantial rake unloaded. The rear tire still remains 1-3/8" taller than the front tire so I still get the big & little look.
- If I keep the 255 rear tire width and drop to a 45 series tire, the single wall height drops from 5.52" to 4.52" adding 1" to my .075" gap for a total of 1.75". Overall, the rear of the truck drops 2" which, in my opinion, still would not hurt the stance of the truck. The rear tire will be 3/8" taller overall than the front tire so I am not sure the big & little tire appearance would still be evident.

What do you guys think? Existing rake too much? Existing rear tires to tall? Am I over thinking the rear tire gap? Always figured I could cut the rear springs if, at the end of this, I still felt like the rake was too steep.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:42 AM   #441
dsraven

everybody has their own opinion of how things should look. that is the great thing about the hotrod culture, the vehicles are someone's personal expressions. you may or may not like what some one has done with their hotrod but at the end of the day it is their's, not yours, so I find it best to say nothing if it isn't positive. personally I think the wheels do look a little tight at the front, but you asked so there it is.
what if you mark the centre of the wheel opening by using the start of the downward curve at the front and rear of the arch and then see how the wheel centreline looks when compared to that. it wouldn't matter what size of tire you ran if the wheel were to be centered in the opening. could you just put the truck on blocks, so the wheel is just barely off the ground, then remove the wheel and let it sit on the floor just an inch behind the hub centre? then stand back and see if you like it? you could move it around until you like the look and then decide what you want to do about it.
just a thought.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:42 AM   #442
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
everybody has their own opinion of how things should look. that is the great thing about the hotrod culture, the vehicles are someone's personal expressions. you may or may not like what some one has done with their hotrod but at the end of the day it is their's, not yours, so I find it best to say nothing if it isn't positive. personally I think the wheels do look a little tight at the front, but you asked so there it is.
what if you mark the centre of the wheel opening by using the start of the downward curve at the front and rear of the arch and then see how the wheel centreline looks when compared to that. it wouldn't matter what size of tire you ran if the wheel were to be centered in the opening. could you just put the truck on blocks, so the wheel is just barely off the ground, then remove the wheel and let it sit on the floor just an inch behind the hub centre? then stand back and see if you like it? you could move it around until you like the look and then decide what you want to do about it.
just a thought.
Agree and Good idea. This portion of the build has turned into an art project. Like you were implying, not everyone likes all art and that's ok. I saw an otherwise perfect pre-1955-1/2 truck awhile back that may have been on an S-10 frame. The back wheels were so far forward, it was the only thing you could see. Don't want to be that guy. Another thing I will do is put the front left tire on the back rear and see how it looks with the same tire size on all four corners.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:55 PM   #443
dsraven

sounds like you have a plan. let us know how it pans out.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:51 PM   #444
dug224

Per DSRAVEN's suggestion, pulled the rear wheel and moved it back in .5" increments. Each location was different and somewhat better but there are so many competing curves its hard to land on a spot that is exactly right from all angles. Next thing I did was put the two front wheels on the driver side (see photos). Made a substantial difference with regard to the gap and also gave me more stuff to think about!!! The somewhat steep rake I currently have was lowered by about an inch. I threw the spare, receiver hitch and back bumper into the bed and it leveled out even more. Suddenly it starts to look more like a canyon carver truck which is appealing.

So, I'll move forward with securing the bedsides to the bed and use my current rear tire size. I can live with my current 1"+/- gap in front of the tire. In light of the new revelations about the stance and having the same size tires in all four corners, I'll start looking for a pair of smaller tires for a possible change later.......
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2016, 01:59 PM   #445
dug224

Also, trimmed the bed side leading edge and the flange that bolts to the bed front and aligned the bedside sheet metal with the face of the door. Once again, the competing angles are hard to get your brain around. All the sheet metal, however dented and bent, lines up nicely and the bulky leading edge of the bed is now down to a more appealing dimension. The last picture is the driver side bedside with the bulky leading edge still in place.

By the way, the lower passenger cab corner was sculpted out of bondo. You can see where I ground it away. The new cab corner will have the proper body line that will match up with the new and more straight step.
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2016, 02:48 PM   #446
Kim57

Making real good progress.
Looks good.
Kim
Old 02-15-2016, 08:41 PM   #447
dug224

Went ahead and cut off the back of the bed floor with my cordless DeWalt jig saw using a 4" metal cutting blade. Quick and pretty accurate. Well, as accurate as you can be going up and down the ribs in the bed floor. The blue line was NOT the cut line. It represents the raised inside face of the tailgate. Pulled everything tight with ratchet straps and took a look at the tailgate gaps which all look pretty good. Will not be using the factory tailgate chains. Hope to use some sort of the latching system inside the bed that won't scratch the paint.

Last picture is the likely location for the gas door. Looks like plenty of room in the bedside and the Trailblazer gas tube is basically already there. Will probably look for a smaller door with more sheet metal around it so I can cover up the entire stamped area behind the tub. May still try to work it out in the filler panel below the bed floor at the tailgate but there does not appear to be enough pitch.
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2016, 09:59 PM   #448
Kim57

Looking good.
Kim
Old 02-16-2016, 10:25 AM   #449
ricott

I love the stance of your truck in Post 444, the third and fourth pictures. The canyon carver look in these old trucks screams HOT ROD. You are killing it on the bed rebuild - and I know mine will be a lot easier since an engineer has done all the heavy lifting.

Ricky
ricott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:21 AM   #450
58-GMC

Your truck is looking great!