The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2014, 01:23 PM   #1
WiggyHD

Disc brake upgrade: Hoses and hardlines

First let me introduce myself. I'm Mark, and so far as I have read, this is the site to learn and get advise from. I have a newly acquired 69' C-10 that somebody along the way put a 79' 305 into. For now, my daughters will be driving it since having them on my other cars is too outrageous as far as insurance goes. I have to get things right, especially since my daughters will be daily driving it. On to the question:

I apologize if this is a stupid question that has been asked many times before. I have searched, and can only spend so much time at the computer for health reasons. If I understand the sticky, the hoses from the 73-87 front disc brakes setup I am getting have different ends than my 69' drum brake hardlines. I am thinking of getting these from Brothers. Are these lines how the hoses are adapted as discussed in the sticky? If not, how do I know how and what to order?

THANKS!
Mark
Old 03-29-2014, 01:27 PM   #2
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: Disc brake upgrade: Hoses and hardlines

I use"conversion" brake hoses from ECE.
www.earlyclassic.com
Then I bend new steel lines up to the M/C.

The Brothers steel lines look like the answer, but I've never used them.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:29 PM   #3
WiggyHD

Cool! Thank you!

Mark
Old 03-29-2014, 06:35 PM   #4
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I like to use the entire hard lines and hoses from 73-87 trucks. Master cylinder too.

Its a near drop in job. Get everything from the firewall out to the banjo bolts as one assembly from the junkyard. You can install it all in an hour using nothing more than a drill and a 5/16 bit along with the standard line wrenches for tightening the fittings.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:18 PM   #5
WiggyHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
I like to use the entire hard lines and hoses from 73-87 trucks. Master cylinder too.

Its a near drop in job. Get everything from the firewall out to the banjo bolts as one assembly from the junkyard. You can install it all in an hour using nothing more than a drill and a 5/16 bit along with the standard line wrenches for tightening the fittings.
Firewall out to include the booster and prop valve? That would make it a ton cheaper! The truck that the dust covers out for the front brakes still has everything. Just one phone call to my friend the yard owner and all is good!

THANKS!
Mark
Old 03-30-2014, 05:27 PM   #6
Tx Firefighter

I've never swapped the boosters. Just master cylinder out. Yes, all hard lines including prop valve. The prop valve mounts down below the radiator on the later trucks. You'll find when you drop the lines in place, it will nestle right onto the little crossmember under there on your truck. You'll need to drill two holes to mount it in place.

I usually unbolt the lines from the master cylinder and on each frame rail where they go through for the front brake hoses (3/8" flare nut crowfoot works best for those). Then unbolt the prop valve and lift the entire spaghetti out as a unit. Then drop into place on your old truck.

You'll see where the brake lines go through the left and right frame rails. The prop valve will lay in place on the little crossmember under the radiator. Drill holes and bolt it down. Use 73-87 front brake hoses. It's the easiest way I've found and uses those good GM formed brake lines.

It's best if you get the line that runs to the rear brakes also. It runs from prop valve and across and down the right frame rail. There is a coupler junction part way down the frame rail where you can disconnect it.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:19 AM   #7
earl84

I am doing this right now on my 66 C20. It is close to a drop in on that as well, just had to make up a new line for the driver side from prop valve to front brake hose, and do some massaging on the other lines, but it sure is easier than bending them all. I think they are stainless steel, also, but not sure. Had a guy at the junkyard pull them and paid $50 for everything, well worth it.
earl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:18 AM   #8
WiggyHD

My yard guy called to tell me that my spindles, dust covers, and all was ready for me to pick up. I asked about the hard lines, prop valve, MC, etc., and I will be picking them up today. I may get the booster at least for a core.

THANKS!
Mark
Old 04-01-2014, 01:28 PM   #9
catch2otwo

Wow this is amazing, was about to start searching for this info. Getting ready to do a 77 into my 68. Great info thanks!

Looked at the two links posted above.

Can anyone recommend a complete hard and soft line for a 77? Id rather buy it all new.
catch2otwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:34 PM   #10
Tx Firefighter

Soft lines or hoses are parts store available. I use Rockauto personally. Have installed two sets of 73-87 front brake hoses within the last six months on two of my trucks. I like Bendix brand personally.

Can't help you on the hard lines. I'm a big fan of the OEM ones from the General. Too many horror stories on here about guys who dropped big bucks on aftermarket lines and been very dissatisfied.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:21 PM   #11
WiggyHD

I went and picked up the spindles, and everything they hold. They are out of an 88' Suburban, which they told me was the same. They (GM) used the same parts on the Suburbans past when they changed them on the pickups. I guess we'll see? He said that I could come back with my own tools to get the MC, hardlines, valve, and whatnot and he could just charge me for the parts instead of having to add labor. $150 for all, and we shall see what happens...

I guess I need to figure out what steering parts to change. I'm going to see if I can use the idler arm, pitman arm, and tie rod ends from the later (73-87) models.

THANKS!
Mark