The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The pre 1947 Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2010, 12:54 PM   #1
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Pre 47 FAQ

Link posts from this area, that are FAQ worthy here
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Re: Pre 47 FAQ

TECH TIP - Removing Rock Hard Door Glass Rubber Made Easy (er)
Old 12-09-2010, 11:24 AM   #3
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Over 800 Chevrolet Information Packages are now available for download free of charge. These packages contain basic specifications and equipment availability for most Chevrolet vehicles from 1913 to 2007.
http://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-h...tion-kits.html

Rust removal:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=434815

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
docrock

Thanks for the link Bill. Excellent

1942 Chevy 1/2 ton Pickup http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=429494

R.I.P. TOM SEFFRON 68 FOUR DOOR http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=495438

1942 Chevy that ate my brain 70 Chassis https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=835250
docrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:44 AM   #5
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

almost 17 months and no one has found anything FAQ worthy???????? come on guys, help us make these indexes for you.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:58 PM   #6
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

ttt
Old 08-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #7
georgieboy

this is my first post/question. what bucket seats fit in the 46 cab
georgieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:47 AM   #8
slimbailess

seat cover on the cheap....if you are building a driver, and not concerned about originality, it is possible to recover the seats fairly cheaply(if your wife sews)...we bought a pad kit from a vendor that included cotton padding and burlap, along with the clips to attach the cover to the seat frame...if your clips are still on your frame, you could reuse them without any trouble....then, my wife bought three yards of black vinyl on sale for $8 a yard, and made simple patterns off of the bottom and back frames. we added 1 and 1/2 inches to the side meaurements to tuck the material over the back of the frame, and allow for the height of the padding...I had car washed the frame to get it as clean as I could, then oxy-acetylene welded some of the broken springs...I then spray painted it with black rustoleum to make it look better and prevent more deterioration...be careful when stretching fabric around the frame to prevent tears....the end result is really comfy and very affordable...I think I might have been able to do it for even less, by not buying the pad kit, but the total investment was around $155...plus the feeling of a job well done...it is currently out of the truck because I don't have the truck weathertight, but it goes in and out easily...Slim
Attached Images

slimbailess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:53 AM   #9
slimbailess

replacing bellhousing....on my 46 Gmc, the original motor was locked up and I needed to remove the bellhousing, because of the monts for the foot controlled starter...in order to do this on an early six cylinder, the transmission, clutch, and flywheel had to be removed to get to some of the bellhousing bolts...I realize the Chevys might be different, but thought this might help someone else...
Old 08-11-2012, 01:04 AM   #10
slimbailess

front axles....when trying to replace my huck brakes on my 46 Gmc, I needed to change the hubs also because the Gmc one tons had a different bolt pattern that was 6 on 7 1/2" . I was able to find an 8 on 6 1/2" axle off what I believe was a 53 chevy 3/4 ton that had the same center to center spring measurements. I removed the chevy axle, but one of the leaf springs main leaf was broken in two, so I did not take the springs...when I went to install the newer axle on my 46, even though the springs center to center was the same, the springs themselves were 1/4" narrower...talk about bummed...I could have just ovaled the holes in the axle, but decided instead to swap the later brakes onto the early axle...the only problem was having to drill the top two holes in the spindle out to 1/2", after that everything else bolted up, and I was able to find seals from Napa that are an improvement over the original design...
Old 08-25-2012, 12:15 AM   #11
fishmunger

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimbailess View Post
front axles....when trying to replace my huck brakes on my 46 Gmc, I needed to change the hubs also because the Gmc one tons had a different bolt pattern that was 6 on 7 1/2" . I was able to find an 8 on 6 1/2" axle off what I believe was a 53 chevy 3/4 ton that had the same center to center spring measurements. I removed the chevy axle, but one of the leaf springs main leaf was broken in two, so I did not take the springs...when I went to install the newer axle on my 46, even though the springs center to center was the same, the springs themselves were 1/4" narrower...talk about bummed...I could have just ovaled the holes in the axle, but decided instead to swap the later brakes onto the early axle...the only problem was having to drill the top two holes in the spindle out to 1/2", after that everything else bolted up, and I was able to find seals from Napa that are an improvement over the original design...

man that sounds like a nightmare! I bet you're STOKED now that you got that dilemma solved. good job and glad it all worked out
fishmunger is offline   Reply With Quote