The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2016, 12:18 AM   #1
cmg96

Should I keep it or trade it?

My 69 came with a 350 with a supercharger. I have not looked at into the rest of it so it is a mystery. I can see it has a Holley carb. I was told that keeping everything tuned maybe out of my experience level currently. Maybe the people who are telling me this want the motor. I am thinking of either trading my motor for another built motor without a supercharger. What do y'all think?

I have done nothing but maintenance thus far to the motor.
Attached Images

Last edited by cmg96; 10-13-2016 at 12:58 PM.
cmg96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:43 AM   #2
LongBox

Re: Should I keep it or trade it?

First of all, that's a sweet-looking engine bay, and the engine itself is great to look at.

If it was mine, and if it runs good, I'd just leave everything alone, and enjoy the truck. Supercharging is a great way to increase the power of the engine, and if it was done right, should not cause problems. If there is too much boost pressure, the engine will likely ping or fuel knock. If not, just drive it.

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:58 AM   #3
cmg96

Yeh it still needs to be tuned up I guess. It does not run smooth but i did post another post about where to start. I have 2 local shops each telling me to do something different and you can read every point of reference and google till the end of time but nothing beats a conversation with someone that just loves talking about it.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:27 AM   #4
TheCougarine

That looks like a nice setup. If it needs tuned I'd find someone who could do it and go from there. The nice thing about a supercharger is you can make good power without having high compression or a real aggressive cam. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a motor "equal" to that one to trade for. If you aren't really knowledgeable you could easily wind up with something worse when trying to trade around. I've been there and done it.
TheCougarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:35 AM   #5
cmg96

This was the other thread I started. I am just trying to get it so I can just enjoy it. I also do want to do some mods to it but we all have things we want to do.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=719950
Old 10-12-2016, 07:24 AM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
You might be better off asking about this in "Engine and Drivetrain" forum I will see if I can get your thread from the welcome Forum moved to there.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:55 AM   #7
jjzepplin

OK-First of all We need pics of this truck. We all like pics! Second- Don't jump into anything yet. That looks like a well thought out installation with some good detail. I would be surprised if the engine was not built correctly. If it wasn't then chances are that Blower was just mounted with no thought and could just be removed. Best way to find out would be to get a good look at your pistons. Maybe a bore scope. You can also look up the engine code and pull a valve cover to find out what heads you have. I would exhaust all my efforts to get that thing tuned right before I would even think of trading. Beware the word "trade". It rarely will be in your favor. Blowers can be very reliable and the cool factor is way high on the scale at least for me.
By the way, do I see power front drum brakes on that truck?
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:03 AM   #8
CG
BlahBlahBlah

If it were my truck I would keep it. If you live in Austin there has to be a place you could go that you can get good info on tuning. Austin (from what Ive read) is a hot rodders mecca. Maybe hit the Austin Speed Shop, tell them you have seen them on TV, magazines, and the internet (suck up kind of thing lol) and ask them for advice on where to take your truck for tuning ... Maybe they even to it there.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:38 AM   #9
cmg96

I have a few pictures I can share here

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...1BDOWtCcFZrU0k

Where in this forum is a good place to ask any locals about speed shops or maybe find someone that likes drinking beers, wrenching and talking about motors etc?
Old 10-12-2016, 08:51 AM   #10
Greenlee

Wow. That is a sweet truck! I would try to keep it as is.
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:05 AM   #11
BILT4ME

That is a VERY nice truck!

Did you know it had a SC when you bought it?

When you say it needs "tuned up" what do you mean? Does it run "rough" at idle?

Is it possible it has a healthy cam in it that gives it a "lope" which you may translate as a rough running engine?

I would guess that your truck will get up and go when you give it throttle.

Can you post a video of how it is running rough?

The person that set that up appears to have known what they are doing. The ignition was changed to HEI, and it has a serpentine belt system on it. This is NOT a hack job by any sense of the word.

I'd be more than happy to come to Austin and trade you straight across for an original 1970 GMC engine (that runs....) for what you have there. Yes, that's because I want what you have. I'll even do the swap......

Keep it and go to Cars and Coffee and find local cars shows and talk to people. Find out where they get stuff worked on. There are good shops and bad shops. Don't go "cheap". Go to where there is a waiting list.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:06 AM   #12
jeffahart

Here is my advise to you. Get it tuned and running sound. Then find someone who is excited to buy it. Sell it at a good price with a caveat. Have a SBC crate engine in your garage ready for install. Make it a part of the deal that the purchaser help you get the crate engine installed and running. You get some labor in the trade. Because it's probably a gearhead that will buy it. I think it is good if you are involved in hands on install of the engine.

Finicky engines get boring real quick!

Me, for my truck and how I use it... I'll take less power and grind a few gears. Take the happy path... a reliable engine that you dicker with occasionally!
Old 10-12-2016, 12:10 PM   #13
jjzepplin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg96 View Post
I have a few pictures I can share here

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...1BDOWtCcFZrU0k

Where in this forum is a good place to ask any locals about speed shops or maybe find someone that likes drinking beers, wrenching and talking about motors etc?
I think you just described the forum.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:03 PM   #14
truckster

I'm not particularly a fan of Holley carbs, but I don't see anything in your engine bay that would require that you "keep it tuned" if what you mean is constant fiddling. You need to keep any engine tuned, but your setup, once tuned correctly, should not require constant attention beyond normal maintenance.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:29 PM   #15
cmg96

this is great information thank you all. I know what lope sounds like and would really love to have it again. I just sold a 64 el camino that had a real nice cam in it lunati voodoo. I really liked the sound just the wrong vehicle.

I decided to keep it but still need to find someone local that is willing to help me put a plan together. As for it running rough I mean during driving if you step on the gas a long hesitation and if not careful it will stall.

I am thinking maybe I should buy a carb setup for a SC. I just had the float bowl and power valve replaced. It is not fast it actually feels slow but I am being extremely careful not to break something and end up stranded.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:35 PM   #16
cmg96

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjzepplin View Post
I think you just described the forum.
I was actually referring to what section in the forum. I do not want to start a thread in the wrong spot,
Old 10-12-2016, 06:59 PM   #17
sKnNyPpY

I love your truck, I would change very little. Get yourself straight on the SC, this forum is priceless.
2.5 CPP Spindle, 1" CPP Drop Spring, CPP Front and Rear Sway Bars/DJM Flip, new General Spring KC 5 spring pack, HEI /IntReg Alt
20x8.5 OldSkools 5" BS, 275/45 Falkens
sKnNyPpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:22 PM   #18
projectking

My dad has had 2 vac secondary 500's on top of a 6-71 since the late 70's. If you get me your email address I'm sure he'd be happy to assist you.
90 Mustang Notchback
projectking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:36 PM   #19
custom10nut

I see you have a B&M setup. They're supposed to be very compatable with stock setups, as the boost is controlled enough that it's not going to destroy your bottom end. These shops that are advising you to sell it to them say this because they want it.
Get with projectking and he should be able to help you through it. Blowers look intimidating but really are not that difficult. The first thing you might want to do is contact B&M (or Google) to get an installation and tuning manual.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:39 PM   #20
projectking

I'd really like to know what carb is on there, can you please post a pic if it without the air cleaner?
90 Mustang Notchback
Old 10-12-2016, 09:31 PM   #21
custom10nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom10nut View Post
I see you have a B&M setup. They're supposed to be very compatable with stock setups, as the boost is controlled enough that it's not going to destroy your bottom end. These shops that are advising you to sell it to them say this because they want it.
Get with projectking and he should be able to help you through it. Blowers look intimidating but really are not that difficult. The first thing you might want to do is contact B&M (or Google) to get an installation and tuning manual.
Update. The first time I looked at your engine pic, I didn't have my specs on. Now I see you have a Wiend st up. A little more boost than a B&M. I would hope that whoever built your engine did it the right way. I would go with a carb jetting issue, as mentioned before. What kind and size is the Carb? If you find the type, get the numbers off it and one of the expert can tell you what size you have. They can also advise you on what you might need to change.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:47 PM   #22
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg96 View Post
this is great information thank you all. I know what lope sounds like and would really love to have it again. I just sold a 64 el camino that had a real nice cam in it lunati voodoo. I really liked the sound just the wrong vehicle.

I decided to keep it but still need to find someone local that is willing to help me put a plan together. As for it running rough I mean during driving if you step on the gas a long hesitation and if not careful it will stall.

I am thinking maybe I should buy a carb setup for a SC. I just had the float bowl and power valve replaced. It is not fast it actually feels slow but I am being extremely careful not to break something and end up stranded.

I don't know anything about supercharged engines but on a normal carbed engine the symptoms you describe could point to a bad accelerator pump in the carb.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:55 AM   #23
cmg96

great, I already replaced the accelerator pump. I have a picture of the carb without the cleaner and if we need specifics I can take another picture.
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2016, 12:28 PM   #24
projectking

See what color cam is on the accelerator pump linkage. If it's red I'd bet that's most of your trouble.
90 Mustang Notchback
Old 10-13-2016, 12:49 PM   #25
Bigdav160

Double pumper. It probably needs new accelerator pumps. The ethanol in the gasoline eats them up. They sell an ethanol compatible version of the pumps. That's what I use.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote