The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2016, 11:47 PM   #1
70 c10 rook

Questions about heater core and switches

I've been educaTing myself(or powering up my brain like I tell my son)on this forum and let me tell you there is endless info and I learn every time I'm on here. So my questions are where might the best place to get a new heater core or should I have mine repaired the hoses that come thru the firewall are loose and broken where they attach to the core itself and does anybody sell the rubber gasket that seals the unit against the firewall and also there's a switch attached to the back of one of the plastic pieces is that availableI don't have a clue what it's called. This is a 1970 a/c cab all original so while I have it tore apart I'd like to replace the 45 yr old part. Thanks for any help
Attached Images

70 c10 rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:27 AM   #2
Hellbent
Don't blame the messenger

Re: Questions about heater core and switches

I would just replace the heater core, they are relatively cheap. Yes, the gaskets are readily available. I believe the "switch" as you put it is the heater resister. One of the best things you can do is arm yourself with as many vendor catalogs as you can get. I really like the LMC catalog. Their exploded views and diagrams really take the mystery out of part identification and location. Good Luck!

On the Level
Just a guy with a hammer and a grinder. OH!, and an HOA- enough said...: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372525
"Some drink from the fountain of knowledge while others just gargle."
Hellbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:53 AM   #3
BrianG

My heater core was doing the same thing. I took it to a radiator shop and they soldered it back up, flushed it, and checked it for leaks. I can't remember how much that cost, but it was not very much. Probably less than an aftermarket new core. And without any of the hassles that some people are getting with the aftermarket ones. It's at least worth having a shop look at it before buying a new one. The gaskets are available through many of the dealers. I chose to not use the one that I bought because I wasn't really happy with the quality of it. I used a high temp putty type window seal material instead. I believe it was some sort of butyl tape.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:38 AM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
There is a vendors forum on here and if you look through it you may find a vendor in your area so you can go pick the parts up and save on shipping.

Scroll down to the bottom of this page and you will see the "Forum Jump" box. Click on the little down arrow on the right side of the box and scroll down to "Vendors Marketplace".

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:20 PM   #5
hdff

I have mine out right now. Your stock heater core is probably 2 1/2" thick and no one sells one that thick. So if you want a new one you will have to rig it. I sent mine to be rebuilt and was told here is only on place that sells copper core that thick. I am also having my box refinished to look like new.
If the switch is on the outside of the box then it is probably something called an AC switch, the heater resistor is inside the box. I agree LMC catalog is great for picture reference.

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote