The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2015, 02:00 PM   #1
daily_danger

Summer is here, and so is vapor lock. How'd you plumb your fuel?

If you're still shoveling snow, and all like "Summer my arse!" I'm in south Florida.

I picked the hottest day so far, 90ish, to run errands in the truck. Sitting in traffic when good and hot, the engine would idle vvvvery low, and I could hear my fuel pump ticking like crazy. Now I haven't ruled out ignition issues, but my fuel hoses and cheapo regulator need go anyways.

My question:

How have you plumbed up your small block? Especially if you're hot climate like me. Where did you mount a regulator?

Pictures much appreciated!

Current setup:

Edlebrock 1806 650 cfm
Wood spacer
Slight cam
Headers, very hot!
Mr Gasket f/p regulator
Stock looking mechanical pump
Napa ticky ticky style fuel pump (seriously don't know what that style would be called)
Behind the cab tank, no evap vent.
leaking gas cap on turns.

I'm considering running a/n hoses, return style regulator, back to a modified stock sending unit, haven't settled on a pump. My a/c will one day make a return so mounting the reg there isn't and option. The a/c will also increase my under hood temps. I'd like to avoid and electric pump since I'll probably only run a 63 amp when I replace the harness.

I haven't ruled out going back to stock manifolds. Everything header back needs to be replaced. And I don't know how I'd run a stock compressor with headers, haven't looked that far ahead.

Truck is a daily (hence the name) so down days for R & D will suck.

Cheers!
daily_danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:11 PM   #2
Daner

Re: Summer is here, and so is vapor lock. How'd you plumb your fuel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daily_danger View Post
If you're still shoveling snow, and all like "Summer my arse!" I'm in south Florida.
Ha I clicked on this thread purely to see where you are located lol.
49 GMC Grain truck 235 1 1/2 ton
76 Chevy 350/4 speed 1/2 ton
Daner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:47 PM   #3
aod92

Me too....we just got 4" of snow this morning in the Chicago area!
aod92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:28 PM   #4
AirSpeed

Californy is the place you ought to be!
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:57 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by daily_danger View Post

I picked the hottest day so far, 90ish, to run errands in the truck. Sitting in traffic when good and hot, the engine would idle vvvvery low, and I could hear my fuel pump ticking like crazy. Now I haven't ruled out ignition issues, but my fuel hoses and cheapo regulator need go anyways.

My question:

How have you plumbed up your small block? Especially if you're hot climate like me. Where did you mount a regulator?

Pictures much appreciated!

Current setup:

Edlebrock 1806 650 cfm
Wood spacer
Slight cam
Headers, very hot!
Mr Gasket f/p regulator
Stock looking mechanical pump
Napa ticky ticky style fuel pump (seriously don't know what that style would be called)
Behind the cab tank, no evap vent.
leaking gas cap on turns.

I'm considering running a/n hoses, return style regulator, back to a modified stock sending unit, haven't settled on a pump. My a/c will one day make a return so mounting the reg there isn't and option. The a/c will also increase my under hood temps. I'd like to avoid and electric pump since I'll probably only run a 63 amp when I replace the harness.

I haven't ruled out going back to stock manifolds. Everything header back needs to be replaced. And I don't know how I'd run a stock compressor with headers, haven't looked that far ahead.

Truck is a daily (hence the name) so down days for R & D will suck.

Cheers!

You don't say what you have for an engine but to me that is a lot of carb for a small block, even with a cam. Are you sure you aren't running rich? That's what I had on my 402 BB and it was plenty of carb for it.... Just a thought.

Anyways, I guess I would start with the sock filter on the fuel pickup tube in the tank, if it is still there. If it is plugged it would create a vacuum in the fuel line and make the pump sound like that. Then while I had the fuel line disconnected at the tank I would unhook the fuel line at the pump and blow air through it to make sure there isn't any obstructions in it.

I have never ran a fuel regulator with a carbed engine so I can't help you there.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:41 PM   #6
Swar

LockDoc, those are good points, too much carb for a stock engine can cause problems. However, I'm running dual quads - 1,000 CFM on a worked 350. No problems with starting, I can drive it in any weather. The two most important things to check first is fuel mixture and ignition. A weak spark can cause the problem your having, as well as being too lean. Check your exhaust system too for any leaks. Too much air and not enough fuel can have the same effect.
Swar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:23 PM   #7
daily_danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daner View Post
Ha I clicked on this thread purely to see where you are located lol.
Glad to be of comedic service. I grew up in Buffalo, so I know the struggle. Stay Strong northern friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
You don't say what you have for an engine but to me that is a lot of carb for a small block, even with a cam. Are you sure you aren't running rich? That's what I had on my 402 BB and it was plenty of carb for it.... Just a thought.

Anyways, I guess I would start with the sock filter on the fuel pickup tube in the tank, if it is still there. If it is plugged it would create a vacuum in the fuel line and make the pump sound like that. Then while I had the fuel line disconnected at the tank I would unhook the fuel line at the pump and blow air through it to make sure there isn't any obstructions in it.

I have never ran a fuel regulator with a carbed engine so I can't help you there.

LockDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swar View Post
LockDoc, those are good points, too much carb for a stock engine can cause problems. However, I'm running dual quads - 1,000 CFM on a worked 350. No problems with starting, I can drive it in any weather. The two most important things to check first is fuel mixture and ignition. A weak spark can cause the problem your having, as well as being too lean. Check your exhaust system too for any leaks. Too much air and not enough fuel can have the same effect.
I appreciate the responses. I guess I had over looked the possibility of running too rich. I guess I jumped to it being a vapor issue because of the noise the electric pump was making. And noticing how friggin' hot the fuel lines get after driving it.

Its a 350 and I totally agree its too much carb. But its what the truck came with and its gonna stay for the time being, unless it becomes too bothersome. I've fiddled with the mixture/idle/choke a bit, but I'm still learning this carb black magic.

I'll check the sock soon. Having not seen a Sun ign analyzer that works in years, I'm curious how to check for weak spark?

The fuel hoses all need to go regardless, because ya know.... Fire.
I'd like to stick with a mechanical fuel pump but all the pumps seem to be too high pressure. Edlebrock seems pretty firm on nothing over 5 1/2 psi. I've had mixed experiences with non-return pressure regulators, and read far worse.

Thanks for the help!
Cheers.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:10 PM   #8
Hubscrub
Cruzin

I've never ran a regulator on a carb of any type, including edelbrocks without trouble on stock pumps.

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:01 PM   #9
ElKotze

350 with 600 Edelbrock carb, wood spacer, braided fuel line, headers, stock pump, no regulator. Runs like a dream anytime no matter the temperature.
Life's a beach
Attached Images

ElKotze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:38 PM   #10
daily_danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKotze View Post
350 with 600 Edelbrock carb, wood spacer, braided fuel line, headers, stock pump, no regulator. Runs like a dream anytime no matter the temperature.
Life's a beach
I love how clean that engine bay is! One day I hope mine looks that good. Well mechanically at least.

I appreciate all the input. I'm going to forgo the return regulator. Replace all my old lines and hoses. Ditch the electric pusher pump. Use heat resistant wrap where the exhaust is near. And finally install a pressure gauge. Still need to pull that sender out.

Any preferences on fuel pump? Stock or spring for an edelbrock?

Run 1/2" lines or 3/8"?

Thanks
Cheers.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:21 AM   #11
Swar

I'm running a high flow mechanical pump with 3/8" lines. And that's with dual quads. You shouldn't need anything more than that.
Swar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:44 AM   #12
engineer_gregh

My setup; Edelbrock mechanical fuel pump, braided fuel line from pump to carb with inline filter. Its all Edelbrock as I didn't want to have to run a regulator or pressure gauge. All of this was done after I replaced my in cab tank and sending unit. My truck had sat for a long time and the tank was full of rust and the sock was completely evaporated. I'm running Edelbrock 650 on my small block truck and 750 on my BB with no issues.
1975 K5 4x4 full convertible

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=645165

Greg Smyrna TN
engineer_gregh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:16 AM   #13
special-K
Special Order

No matter where you are, it just turned Spring. Summer begins late June on the Summer Solstice.

Stock fuel line has always worked fine. No need to change routing or fuel pump on anything but mean and nasty motors. I have used high volume mechanical fuel pumps for engines 375h-450hp and electric for my pro-street trucks with 450+ hp

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 03-25-2015 at 09:46 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:34 PM   #14
Jobe72

Read this yesterday and guess what? Started having vapor lock issues yesterday afternoon. Got up to 90 here and would start wanting to stall after sitting in traffic or a redlight...would take off then lose power/putter for a few seconds then back to normal.

Going to remove my inline metal fuel filter and see if that helps any.
Jobe72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:00 PM   #15
daily_danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
No matter where you are, it just turned Spring. Summer begins late June on the Summer Solstice.

Stock fuel line has always worked fine. No need to change routing or fuel pump on anything but mean and nasty motors. I have used high volume mechanical fuel pumps for engines 375h-450hp and electric for my pro-street trucks with 450+ hp
In South Florida we have two seasons: Hot and Humid, and less so. Only a few days transition in between.

I really appreciate the info. I'll report back once I get everything replaced. I am beginning to think my hot idle issue could be a rich running issue. Also worth noting, after 5-30 mins of sitting, it seems to be flooding on hot starts. I hoped the spacer would clear that up, but it hasn't.

Thanks a lot!
Cheers.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:20 PM   #16
MagmaJct

Unhappy Re: Summer is here, and so is vapor lock. How'd you plumb your fuel?

May be running rich, as you eluded to. But in case anyone's reading this thread for inspiration...

My 71' w/350 mostly stock, except for the Carter AFB, started having vapor lock type symptoms. Once got stranded at the land fill. Once got stranded at night, in a left turn lane. Both times, after sitting for awhile, fired right up.

Well, almost. In the left turn lane, it was still running a bit rough. The light was green to go straight. Fearful the engine wouldn't last to the next green arrow, I ran the red arrow and went straight.

The photo enforcement flashed all around me as I "ran the red". I never did receive a citation. I figure on account the cameras were setup for left turns and likely couldn't make out my plate, and the fact I'd been stranded for half an hour. Many photo enforcement also records live video the moments leading up to the incident.

I'd considered the later pumps with a vapor return. Ultimately, the truck refused to start in The Home Depot parking lot. Thought maybe the fuel tank sending until failed, and it was empty. Had it towed home.

After adding gas, diagnosed the problem to be a failed fuel pump! Installed a new one, and 4 - 5 years later, NOT A SINGLE PROBLEM!!

Vapor lock symptoms can be a fuel pump pre-failure.

--Mike

The C10 and the Super Beetle run, the Fastback is just not there yet!

Please visit my Super Beetle and Fastback profile on TheSamba.
MagmaJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:22 PM   #17
MagmaJct

Oh! I forgot to mention my locale!

The Arizona desert. It can get up to 116F here. And yes, when I got stranded at the land fill, it was over 110F that day!

The C10 and the Super Beetle run, the Fastback is just not there yet!

Please visit my Super Beetle and Fastback profile on TheSamba.
MagmaJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:50 PM   #18
East Tex

This is a schematic of the best anti vapor lock set up that I've used. Just disregard the part numbers ect. With this set up, it keeps a steady supply of fresh (cool) fuel up to the carb.
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2015, 07:33 AM   #19
Hubscrub
Cruzin

I did have these symptoms once on a hot day but ended up my gas tank was full of crap and the filter was full of rust after I clean the tank and lines out never had a problem again.

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:48 AM   #20
67 chevelle

Hey , I have had this issue , Make sure you have a good vent , and cap , should solve it , AN lines or metal line to the carb , you could wrap it , and your headers . West Palm here
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote