The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2017, 10:15 PM   #1
fb111ewo

Engine build..one step forward..two back

When I bought my truck (68 stepside) previous owner had done some cobbled together things. The truck had a tired old 283, that had passenger type exhaust manifolds (rear dump). The motor mounts were a mish-mash, one side being welded to the frame.
So… I’m trying to build back with as much stock appearance as possible. I did buy a new crate motor for less than what was being requested to rebuild the 283. (I know the 283 was offered in 67 not 68) I then purchased stock motor mounts and perches. I planned on using the same exhaust manifolds so I cleaned them up and repainted them. So far, so good… and that’s when the problems begin.
My first issue was that the original type motor mounts would not work with the exhaust manifolds as the manifolds interfere with the mounts. I decided to go with the ram style angle manifolds (which will require me to modify or purchase new exhaust components). However, it now seems that the angle ram type manifolds are going to be interfering or coming real close to the starter. Anybody else have this issue with ram exhaust manifolds and the starter? I guess I can always take the original starter off and install a mini-starter for more room… and the fun continues!
Attached Images

fb111ewo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:31 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Engine build..one step forward..two back

-
I wonder if the swept back manifolds would work with big block frame brackets. It looks like they might.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 02:53 AM   #3
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
I wonder if the swept back manifolds would work with big block frame brackets. It looks like they might.

LockDoc
They do, but the big block frame stands push the engine back 1-1/4''
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:45 AM   #4
fb111ewo

Thanks for the suggestion, but I think that I will put the ram horn manifolds on, and see how much of an issue it will be. If I have to, I will go to a mini-starter, even though I had my original starter re-done. If I start changing motor mounts, I'm afraid it will have a ripple effect.. drive shaft issues, distributor against the cab, etc.

Thanks for your help!
fb111ewo is offline   Reply With Quote