The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2015, 11:56 AM   #1
ChevEE

Question Help Pulling Ignition Switch Cylinder

I recently purchased a 1970 C10 and one of the things I noticed on the drive back home was the key will fall out of the ignition, very easily, while in the run position. I picked up a new cylinder with keys and went to change it out but can't get the old cylinder out of the dash.

I looked up how to change it and found the pin hole, was even able to turn back to the left, past accessory, but I can't get the cylinder to come out. Does it slide out or twist past that? Since the key comes out easily, when I pull the key, the key is the only thing to come out. I even tried getting it to that position and use needle nose to pull the cylinder out with no luck. Any suggestions?

It also seems like I can't remove the trim ring with the cylinder in, so I can't get it out of the dash to a bench to work on it. Help please!
Old 03-10-2015, 12:15 PM   #2
DarkFlounder

Re: Help Pulling Ignition Switch Cylinder

Because your key falls out, it'll be a bit more difficult to get the cylinder out. Since you can turn it past accessory, try using a thin screwdriver or a small hook to catch it, it should just slide out.

Mine was similar, but I couldn't even get it to go to accessory. I eventually just removed the trim ring by brute force (destroying it and the threads on the ignition switch) and forced the cylinder to rotate with vice grips.

Thankfully, replacement parts through The Truck Shop are pretty cheap. New trim ring and switch were less than $20 + shipping.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:26 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

I don't know if this is the instructions you read or not. If the key won't stay in it bend a hook on a wire that will fit onto the key hole and use that to pull it out. Do not put excessive force on it or you will bend the tumblers and the key wont work in it any more....

-
Turn the key to the left as far as it will go BEFORE you insert a straightened paper clip or stiff wire into the hole in the face of the cylinder and “gently” push the spring loaded pin in. Turn the cylinder further to the left to remove it.

After you push the spring loaded pin in with the stiff wire and turn the cylinder further to the left you have to pull the wire out to finish turning it or it will bind. You can also turn it too far after you pull the wire out. That is when you have to wiggle the cylinder back and forth a little bit. If you wiggle it too much the pin will pop back out and you will have to start over. You should not have to put excessive turning pressure on it or push down hard on the spring loaded pin. Gentle and patience are the key words here...

For the people that read this thread that do not have an ignition key take the passenger door lock out and take it to your local locksmith. It should have a code number stamped into the lock case and the locksmith can cut a key from the code number. If none of the locks have been changed the key will fit the ignition. If the door locks don't have a code number on them they can be disassembled and a key cut by reading the wafers.

Here is a picture of the code # location on the door lock.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 03-20-2015 at 01:24 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:29 PM   #4
RRR18

Follow LockDoc's advise. Knows his ****.

Follow on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/rtimes3c10/

Ryan
RRR18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:43 AM   #5
ChevEE

Still no luck! Lockdoc, one reason I am replacing is I can turn the cylinder with a screwdriver if I wanted and it doesn't hold a key. Could that be causing it in any way to hang up? I don't know how everything lines up inside. I am starting to think I'm going to have to bust the trim ring and pull from truck to disassemble. Sad thing is I can tell the ignition switch has been replaced not long ago.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:43 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I don't think that would cause it to hang up. If you are getting the lock cylinder turned past the accessory position there is no reason it should not come out. If you look at the pictures below you can see the two tabs on the lock cylinder that line up with slots on the inside of the switch. If those tabs are lined up with the slots it should slide out. Like stated in my post above once you get it turned past the accessory position you might have to wiggle it a little up & down and side to side to get the tabs lined up. That is where the hook on the end of a stiff wire comes in handy. Put your finger on the face of the cylinder while you are pulling/wiggling to help hold everything steady.

Let me know what happens....

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote