The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2012, 11:00 PM   #1326
CURSED GEARS

Re: Kabwe's aka Bam's build

That chrome and paint are magical together.
CURSED GEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:03 PM   #1327
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CURSED GEARS View Post
That chrome and paint are magical together.
Thanks man, but the wheels are polished aluminum, chrome wheels are a curse word in my neck of the woods.lol
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #1328
gmjim4x4

Kabwe, you are a true craftsman ! You have done some outstanding work on this project. I am wondering if you have done or seen someone do a 55-57 hood modification using part of a 58-59 hood. As in cutting the area with lines on the 58-59 and putting that top area on the 55-57. just wondering if its been done. You do good work!
gmjim4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #1329
Low Elco

I usually go chromabase and Nason clear, works great. Color looks good!
Posted via Mobile Device
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #1330
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjim4x4 View Post
Kabwe, you are a true craftsman ! You have done some outstanding work on this project. I am wondering if you have done or seen someone do a 55-57 hood modification using part of a 58-59 hood. As in cutting the area with lines on the 58-59 and putting that top area on the 55-57. just wondering if its been done. You do good work!
Thanks a lot buddy.

Checkout out jjjmm56 build thread. He made fabracations to his 56 Chevy hood to make it look like a 58-59.

Here is a link to his build thread.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=350951

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
I usually go chromabase and Nason clear, works great. Color looks good!
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks buddy. I can't get chromabase here in Cali anymore. I can get the clear go figure.lol Nutty Cali law makers I guess.

Yeah I was pleasantly shocked by how well this Nason clear laid down. No yellow hue and like glass. I'm just a glorified shadetree type guy so it works for me.

Last edited by Kabwe; 10-30-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #1331
CURSED GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
Thanks man, but the wheels are polished aluminum, chrome wheels are a curse word in my neck of the woods.lol
You did say that earlier. Shows you how observant I am. The fact remains, they look good together.
CURSED GEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #1332
Dan in Pasadena

Bam,
Someone over on the HAMB board referred to you having taken off your roof to address rust around the perimeter between the inner and outer skins. Did you do this?

If so, I went backcthrough this thread and didn't see it. I am wondering if that work was not replaced when you lost your photos and had to re-post? If so, any chance you could post some photos (if you have them) and explain what's involved?

I have literally one inch of rust-through right where the passenger side gutter meets the roof skin - small, but I know there's more in there. I also have what I think is some old rust through inside that an old owner did some bad gas welding on in an attempt to just "cover the holes". This part is a guess but I THINK that's what happened.

I HAD planned to flap disc the interior weld blobs, MIG the exterior rust-through, reseal the gutter with modern sealant, and coat in between the skins with a heavy double coat of the Eastwood internal frame rust preventative stuff - mostly cause I don't have your fab chops or the money to pay others to do it!! Tell me how difficult the de-roof/re-roof is and your thoughts on my plan? Be honest, I can take it.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #1333
Roadkill58

Is there some green paint in your 55's future?
Attached Images

Roadkill's 69 Custom C20
Roadkill58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #1334
OKGMC4

What metal polish do you use? That wheel looks out of sight...Mothers in the can just hasn't done that for me and I been using it 20 years now. Thanks in advance!

69 long bed Chevy turned 67 gmc jimmy roadster:
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851167
OKGMC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:04 PM   #1335
fat56

Looks Killa Kabwe. the flake makes it pop, should look good over a large surface in the sun, and with a truck with so many curves on it.
LOW n LOUD
fat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #1336
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Yeah I will be doing everything on this project with the exception of stitching the interior.
Don't say you will help because you my just be called upon.lol

Except the interior? Wait what are you saying, the great, mighty and all powerful BAM, is not doing his interior? Say it aint so!
As for helping you, you know darn well your not going to call us cause we might accidentally pick up a tool and try to turn a bolt, and if it does not line up, your going to have blood on your hands. LOL!!!!

Yes im causing trouble again. That color next to the wheels, thats a killer combo.
VDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #1337
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Bam,
Someone over on the HAMB board referred to you having taken off your roof to address rust around the perimeter between the inner and outer skins. Did you do this?

If so, I went backcthrough this thread and didn't see it. I am wondering if that work was not replaced when you lost your photos and had to re-post? If so, any chance you could post some photos (if you have them) and explain what's involved?

I have literally one inch of rust-through right where the passenger side gutter meets the roof skin - small, but I know there's more in there. I also have what I think is some old rust through inside that an old owner did some bad gas welding on in an attempt to just "cover the holes". This part is a guess but I THINK that's what happened.

I HAD planned to flap disc the interior weld blobs, MIG the exterior rust-through, reseal the gutter with modern sealant, and coat in between the skins with a heavy double coat of the Eastwood internal frame rust preventative stuff - mostly cause I don't have your fab chops or the money to pay others to do it!! Tell me how difficult the de-roof/re-roof is and your thoughts on my plan? Be honest, I can take it.
Hey Dan,

I fixed that roof two times.lol So I don't know which one you are talking about so I will post pics of both. The first fix was when I just fixed the rust under the eye brown. I did that before I found out that they sold new roof panels.

First fix pics
Rusted area

Cut out the rust

Handmade patch panel

Welded it in and grind and primed.

Second fix
I found out they sold new roof panels so I purchased one. As you can see in the pic, the new roof has the area under the eye brow the is a rusted area on a lot of our trucks. It also comes with the drip rails. This is the part of the drip rails the ride on top of the cab's rails like a sandwich. I'm not running drip rails so I cut them off.

After a lot of measure I cut the roof of my cab. The eye brow section is spot welded on. If you are keeping the drip rails clean the area good and you well see the spot welds there also.

Completed Roof
Old 10-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #1338
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill58 View Post
Is there some green paint in your 55's future?
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKGMC4 View Post
What metal polish do you use? That wheel looks out of sight...Mothers in the can just hasn't done that for me and I been using it 20 years now. Thanks in advance!
Man thats how those wheels came. My buddy who is a wheel smith told me thats how forged billet Aluminum is suppose to shine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat56 View Post
Looks Killa Kabwe. the flake makes it pop, should look good over a large surface in the sun, and with a truck with so many curves on it.
thanks buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDOG View Post
Except the interior? Wait what are you saying, the great, mighty and all powerful BAM, is not doing his interior? Say it aint so!
As for helping you, you know darn well your not going to call us cause we might accidentally pick up a tool and try to turn a bolt, and if it does not line up, your going to have blood on your hands. LOL!!!!

Yes im causing trouble again. That color next to the wheels, thats a killer combo.
That's the great and powerful Oz to you, you little munchkin.lol
Old 10-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #1339
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabwe View Post
that's the great and powerful oz to you, you little munchkin.lol

lmao!!!
Old 10-26-2012, 11:36 PM   #1340
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Thanks for the info Bam.

I've got a lot of stupid questions about this but let me ask the most basic:

If I find those spot welds and use a spot weld cutter...is it then just a matter of carefully prying the roof panel to separate it from the cab? If so, once I'd repair any damage to the cab part, does the roof panel just drop into place (relatively) for plug welding?

I see surface rust on yours, did you use some kind of coating or weld-thru primer in there before replacing your roof?

Any other details about how relatively difficult/easy it is to do this repair?
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #1341
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Thanks for the info Bam.

I've got a lot of stupid questions about this but let me ask the most basic:

If I find those spot welds and use a spot weld cutter...is it then just a matter of carefully prying the roof panel to separate it from the cab? If so, once I'd repair any damage to the cab part, does the roof panel just drop into place (relatively) for plug welding?

I see surface rust on yours, did you use some kind of coating or weld-thru primer in there before replacing your roof?

Any other details about how relatively difficult/easy it is to do this repair?
First off, there are no stupid questions. There are only stupid people that make themselves feel big by trying to make other people feel stupid for asking questions. We learn by asking questions buddy.

Dan start with the spot weld first and that will guide you to what you may have to cut. There are also spot welds along the bottom ridge of windshield panel.

Yes I did wire brush the inner roof panel and coat it with zero rust primer.

Difficulty. I really don't find anything difficult just a lot of work and very time consuming. If you can weld, cut, and measure you can do this. It would not be my first project do some other rust repair until you build your confidence up and you will be able to do this no problem. Its about being confident man and you have half the job done.

Last edited by Kabwe; 10-30-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:13 PM   #1342
Low Elco

If you try this, get a spot weld cutter. Not real expensive and makes a lot of the sheet metal stuff on these old trucks a breeze. A knotted wire brush run down the channel will show the spots, centerpunch in the middle of the spot and drill them dudes!
Posted via Mobile Device
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #1343
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Well I got a little more done today. Slowly I turn, step by step, inch by inch.lol Well thats how I doing it.

I know its over kill by I base coat cleared the gas tank just because. No other reason.

Here is the tank installed between the frame rails.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #1344
oldman3

Tank looks super between the rails, nice job...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:34 AM   #1345
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Well I got a little more done today. Slowly I turn, step by step, inch by inch.lol Well thats how I doing it.

I know its over kill by I base coat cleared the gas tank just because. No other reason.

Here is the tank installed between the frame rails.

Step by step, inch by inch, I knew you were related to the Stoogers. You must be their other cousin on their other cousins side. LOL
Great work Bam, that tank looks good. But we would not expect anything less from you.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:58 AM   #1346
Kim57

Looks good.
Kim
Old 11-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #1347
duallyjams

No such thing as over kill , that's just normal in a car guys world.

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #1348
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDOG View Post
Step by step, inch by inch, I knew you were related to the Stoogers. You must be their other cousin on their other cousins side. LOL
Great work Bam, that tank looks good. But we would not expect anything less from you.
LOL. You got it huh? So you must be as big a Stoogies fan as me if you know the Niagara Falls bit.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #1349
_Ogre

Quote:
Difficulty. I really don't find anything difficult just a lot of work and very time consuming.
my new mantra
not many people think this way

tank install looks good too

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #1350
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
my new mantra
not many people think this way

tank install looks good too
Yeah man I'm glad you understood and took it the way I meant it.lol

I did not mean it in an arrogant way at all. I just believe that we are all human beings and can learn these skills. But after you learn the skills and you will if you keep at it. It still will be a lot of hard work. That is the one thing that will never change no matter how much your skills improve.lol