The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2013, 01:04 AM   #1
cortcomp

66 SPID sticker language - share and learn!

During my brief research of RPO and SPID codes i've found that, although the list of option codes (and what you could get them on) is available, you need an original sticker example in order to put the right description.

Also, a lot of original stickers have letters after them, and the paint code, and i haven't found ANYTHING on what they mean. Like lets say option "laser beam" was option "G99" in the RPO list. On the decal it may say "FG99AA" "Laser Weapons System" and the paint code may be "910" but the sticker shows "910AF". If anyone knows what those letters may mean, throw it in.

There is a lot of examples of SPID stickers here, and i've PM'd a lot of you this last week asking questions, in order to properly list all the options my truck had (and is getting) in the glove box. To me, stickers are the best part of a restoration (Decals in the engine bay, etc) and i collect and save them until the car is "done", and it's a happy day when the car is done and clean and i get to put them on. They really make a restore job "pop". So, i think this is good info to have, because it seems lost for the '66s, but the 67 and later seems fairly well documented.

I have posted codes here (the base codes, not the extra letters, you can find them in the pics below if you wish to see examples of the extra letters) and the text that goes with it for those of you who may find it useful. If you have an original sticker or one copied exactly from an original sticker, please post it. If you have an option code and its correct text, please post away. If you want to know what an option is, (like hydraulic brakes, that's power vacuum brakes), ask, or look it up in the code manual.

Also, some options "include" another. Like i think A/C includes HD radiator. It'd be nice to be clear if HD radiator would be on the SPID or would it be omitted because the A/C code implies it? (seems the later would be the case), but option L30 327, requires option F60, hd front springs...and one tag shows both.

Here's what i found today:

V74 - HAZARD WARNING SWITCH
N01 - 21 GAL GAS TANK
B98 - SIDE TRIM MOLD EQ
F60 - HD FRONT SPRING
L30 - 327 CU. IN. V-8 ENG
Z81 - CAMPER SPECIAL EQ
K24 - CLOSED ENG POS VENT
Z53 - AMMETER-OIL GAUGE
J70 - HYDRAULIC BRAKE
M49 - 3 SPD AUTO TRANS
T60 - HEAVY DUTY BATTERY
Z20 - ENGINE CONVERSION
Z52 - FOAM SEAT
D32 - R/V MIRROR RH
G50 - HEAVY REAR SPRING
L32 - 283 CU. IN. V-8 ENG
U60 - MANUAL RADIO
A94 - SAFETY DOOR LOCK
A10 - PANORAMIC CAB
M35 - POWERGLIDE TRANS
G60 - AUXILIARY SPRING EQ
C60 - 4 SEASON AIR COND
V37 - CHROME-BUMPER FRT
Z62 - CUSTOM GROUP
Z62 - CUSTOM C&C EQUIP
K48 - OIL BATH AIR CLEANER
A11 - TINTED GLASS
A11 - TINTED GLASS ALL
Z61 - CUSTOM GROUP
Z61 - CUSTOM APPEAR INCL
Z53 - AMMETER
C42 - DELUXE HEATER
C42 - DELUXE AIR HEATER
F76 - FRONT WHEEL LOCK HUBS
M20 - 4 SPD TRANSMISSION
N40 - POWER STEERING
D29 - R V JR MIRROR RH&LH
DECAL - DECAL
V01 - HEAVY DUTY RADIATOR

Link to info packet for '66 which has more detail about options (descriptions, options required, what series you could get them one, etc.)

http://www.gmheritagecenter.com/docs...olet-Truck.pdf

Thanks OEM4ME and GM Heritage, for the link.

Last edited by cortcomp; 01-26-2013 at 11:02 AM. Reason: add link, typo
cortcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:07 AM   #2
cortcomp

Re: 66 SPID sticker language - share and learn!

Supporting documents:
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2013, 01:07 AM   #3
cortcomp

More supporting docs
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
yelmer

nice work i will try to post some as well
yelmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #5
cortcomp

The more info in one place the better...curiously, i wonder what decal - decal is? Shooting from the hip, i'm guessing the AC sticker on the rear window??
Old 01-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
cortcomp

There has been a lot of speculation on the printers used for this, some even speculating typewriters. I've read discussion across a lot of sites, and, from my tech experience, and knowing GM (why pay 1000 typists when you can spend 800 times that on a mainframe and some printers) i'm betting that this was the series used:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_1403

others have more info on this, but i haven't found anything that confirmed that, other than a gentleman on a forum claiming to have serviced them, but didn't remember the typeface used.

Here's a link to a similar discussion about font and machines used:

http://nastyz28.com/forum/archive/in...p/t-46459.html

And here's a guy working on making a font matching that typeface using the output from an actual IBM 1403, and his sample looks pretty good:

http://slantedhall.wordpress.com/201...e-in-progress/

Another link from someone else about the same project:
http://brainwagon.org/2013/01/23/an-ibm-1403-font/

Last edited by cortcomp; 01-26-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #7
VictoriaHardware

Also, a lot of original stickers have letters after them, and the paint code, and i haven't found ANYTHING on what they mean.

Those mean a lot to the Assembly Plant. For example, the A/C system parts that get installed on a 283 V8 will be different from those for a 230 L6 and different from a 292 L6. The Corvette guys have it all figured out and I remember reading a full explanation and decoding of them. Those codes will be different from 66 Corvettes and 66 trucks.
VictoriaHardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
This is from my Janesville built 1966 LWB C-10

L32 - 283 CU. IN. V-8 ENG
V37 - CHROME-BUMPER FRT
B98 - SIDE TRIM MOLD EQ
C42 - DELUXE AIR HEATER
F51 - FRT & REAR SHOCK ABS
D29 - R V JR MIRROR R & L
G50 - HEAVY REAR SPRING
P13 - SM WHEEL CARRIER
Z53 - AMMETER-OIL GAUGE
U60 - MANUAL RADIO
Z61 - CUSTOM GROUP

Z62 - Only the word CUSTOM is readable so I don't know which one of the following is correct. I would like to know.
Z62 - CUSTOM GROUP
Z62 - CUSTOM C&C EQUIP

On my metal ID tag the Z62AA is stamped in the "TRIM' location.(see picture)

I think the information would have to include the assembly plant and year to be really useful. Obviously different plants or different years used different wording. Just my 2¢ worth...

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #9
cortcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaHardware View Post
Also, a lot of original stickers have letters after them, and the paint code, and i haven't found ANYTHING on what they mean.

Those mean a lot to the Assembly Plant. For example, the A/C system parts that get installed on a 283 V8 will be different from those for a 230 L6 and different from a 292 L6. The Corvette guys have it all figured out and I remember reading a full explanation and decoding of them. Those codes will be different from 66 Corvettes and 66 trucks.
I'm glad to hear something about what that meant, it doesn't seem likely they just threw random letters on the sheet. Sadly, for 66 being a one year only tag, i doubt we'll ever get enough samples together to find a pattern.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #10
cortcomp

"Z62 - CUSTOM GROUP
Z62 - CUSTOM C&C EQUIP"

I have seen it both ways in stickers above, you could decode the vin to see if one of the assembly plants matches yours and decide which to go with.

"On my metal ID tag the Z62AA is stamped in the "TRIM' location.(see picture)"

On my trim tag, it's just Z62 and 544. no extra letters.

"
I think the information would have to include the assembly plant and year to be really useful. Obviously different plants or different years used different wording. Just my 2¢ worth..."

On the year, these stickers are only on 66's as i understand it? At least for this thread, 67-72 have their own threads with a ton of information.

If these were really mainframe printed with chain impact printers, and written in cobol, my guess is one group wrote the program, and did the data entry on the codes, and then sent the program copies to each assembly plant. 99% of the codes would read exactly the same, and if an option was changed or adjusted, the tech guy at that plant would likely change the relevant code.

That's just a GUESS, but that's why i'm thinking that 99% of these codes are identical even between series, down to the punctuation (like CU. IN. V-8, but another plant doesn't show CU IN V8. or CUB IN V8). So, my personal feeling, is that you could lift an option code and description off a similar truck, and be pretty damn sure you nailed it.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #11
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortcomp View Post
"Z62 - CUSTOM GROUP
Z62 - CUSTOM C&C EQUIP"

I have seen it both ways in stickers above, you could decode the vin to see if one of the assembly plants matches yours and decide which to go with.

"On my metal ID tag the Z62AA is stamped in the "TRIM' location.(see picture)"

On my trim tag, it's just Z62 and 544. no extra letters.

"
I think the information would have to include the assembly plant and year to be really useful. Obviously different plants or different years used different wording. Just my 2¢ worth..."

On the year, these stickers are only on 66's as i understand it? At least for this thread, 67-72 have their own threads with a ton of information.

If these were really mainframe printed with chain impact printers, and written in cobol, my guess is one group wrote the program, and did the data entry on the codes, and then sent the program copies to each assembly plant. 99% of the codes would read exactly the same, and if an option was changed or adjusted, the tech guy at that plant would likely change the relevant code.

That's just a GUESS, but that's why i'm thinking that 99% of these codes are identical even between series, down to the punctuation (like CU. IN. V-8, but another plant doesn't show CU IN V8. or CUB IN V8). So, my personal feeling, is that you could lift an option code and description off a similar truck, and be pretty damn sure you nailed it.

Although I have had a few '67-'72 trucks I am new to the '60-'66 trucks and didn't realize there were no SPID's before '66. So I guess the only thing that might help is listing the assembly plant.

Thanks,
LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #12
oem4me

As long as we are discussing the details of the SPID stickers, I wonder why mine is the only one with the white band and number at the top? My guess is that it was probably not meant to be there. Does this make my truck more rare/valuable? lol
Attached Images

oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #13
cortcomp

Honestly, that looks like that's part of the sticker that would stay on the whole printed sheet. I wonder if someone who put it on accidentally peeled it with it? Or it stuck to the option sheet so he didn't catch it? I'm guessing it was supposed to stay on the backing paper he peeled the label from, looking at what appears to be a seam there between the two pieces.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #14
cortcomp

One sheet shows 9512A - REAR AXLE, haven't seen that one in the lists, if anyone has info on what that is, throw it out there.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #15
60-66

Quote "Also, a lot of original stickers have letters after them, and the paint code, and i haven't found ANYTHING on what they mean"

Guys, those letter codes your asking about are the letters they put on the Build Sheets.Heres the build sheet from my 65 K10.

WANTED :1964-1966 PANEL TRUCK
60-66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #16
60-66

Heres the one from our 66 K20.

Last edited by 60-66; 01-26-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #17
60-66

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortcomp View Post
One sheet shows 9512A - REAR AXLE, haven't seen that one in the lists, if anyone has info on what that is, throw it out there.
The 4 digit number on these sheets your referring to I think is the " Special Equipment" number . Options that were not on the normal list of dealer options.

Last edited by 60-66; 01-26-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #18
VictoriaHardware

Here's two samples, both '66 Baltimore trucks. Both C10s, solid white,and 283 V8s. Serial number '4212 is a LWB stepside pickup and '1632 is a Suburban. Notice they both have Z62 Custom Group, but the stepside is Z62AA and the Sub is Z62CA because the Custom molding on the sides were completely different between the two.

Also notice the difference between fonts of the Serial # and the rest of the page. Look at the 3's and 4's. It appears that this sheet was printed at separate times on separate printers. I don't see that on Fremont trucks for example. Just one of the quirks between different plants building the same truck in a slightly different manner.
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #19
cortcomp

That does make sense about the extra digit codes, and it looks like we have a nice amount of samples so that those making labels can pick a similar truck to theirs and likely get all the right codes, not just the short option code.

I wonder if the stickers were printed with serial number in one place and then the rest of the options done at the plant where it was built? Or maybe the serial number was put on the sheet at a later point in the process? Seems unlikely, but would love to hear the stories of how these things are inconsistent between plants.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #20
jdl71

Looks like it's a little too dark, or bold I guess but still a good match I think.

Here's the link if anyone else wants to give it a try:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182...bably+IBM+1403

64 C10

66 K20
jdl71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:10 PM   #21
60-66

Here's an example of what I was trying to say earlier about build sheet codes. Those letters that are after the option code on the spids sheet will also be on a build sheet. Tomorrow I will try and get some pictures of the 66 I have with both sheets so we can compare. The picture below is of my 1967 trucks master cylinder, its a low miler with its original master cylinder. On the front there's a machined boss with the stamping AB. This will also be on the build sheet . ( will look for that tomorrow also) . This letter code told the person on the assembly line which type of master to put on the vehicle. A better example is lets say a 1967 Chevelle with drum brakes and one with disc brakes, two different master cylinders, both stamped differently with their own unique code.The master cylinder would also have a paper tag with that letter code and this would be on the build sheet..pho

This same 67 truck has a paper tag on the brake drum with letter codes. Build sheets are great when restoring your vehicle, the letter codes can help you ID parts like pulleys, fan clutches and many other parts as many of those items are either stamped or ink stamped. Things like trim as VictoriaHardware stated are a little harder to figure out by letter codes unless you have the info we all are providing on spids. I'm guessing here but there could be several different letter codes for all the different combinations of trim ??

Old 01-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #22
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
As long as we are discussing the details of the SPID stickers, I wonder why mine is the only one with the white band and number at the top? My guess is that it was probably not meant to be there. Does this make my truck more rare/valuable? lol
good question. My 66's SPID (shown below) did not have the white stripe on top. In later trucks (a 72 shown below, bottom), the white stripe was there - and sometimes numbers were in them.... And I don't, for the life of me, know what they mean. Maybe yours was a very late production year 66 truck (?) and they switched over to the 67-72 SPID style? (doesn't look like that - yours still has the "serial #" nomenclature vice the "VIN" label). But, I did note that the number in the top white row of the 72 and your 66 is a 6 digit # - some sort of sequence, etc?? Maybe production line info/sequential, who knows. It doesn't seem to correspond to anything else in the VIN ending numbers, etc.
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:41 PM   #23
VictoriaHardware

Here's more examples-
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2013, 10:43 PM   #24
VictoriaHardware

2 more-
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2013, 12:14 AM   #25
yelmer

i like that one that that use to be my old truck 126162
yelmer is offline   Reply With Quote