The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2018, 12:27 AM   #1
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Castle Rock

It’s been 15 years since I climbed the rock at Castle Rock Colorado and almost 50 years since the first time I was at the top of the rock. Today I climbed it from a different section. Back when I was 5 or 6 we lived a block away. My mom was a Den mom and my brothers were in cub scouts. I was to young to be a Cub Scout but I was able to do some of the activities they did. Back then there was a metal stair case you could walk up. Well Mother Nature took those stairs out many years ago. I ain’t Alex Honnold free soloing El Cap but I feel like a kid every time I’m on that rock.
Attached Images

Last edited by LockDoc; 10-01-2018 at 06:29 PM.
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 12:36 AM   #2
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Re: Castle Rock

More pics.
Attached Images

Last edited by LockDoc; 10-01-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:42 AM   #3
kingsolver72
10/30/19

My wife and I should be in Moab tomorrow.
Attached Images

Last edited by LockDoc; 10-01-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:23 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Cool beans! I think I may know this place, Castle Rock, of which you speak. What I see is you in your adult life with the smile of a 5 year old. I think you are one who never lost touch with his inner child while aging and maturing only as necessary and nothing more. Never drift from what makes you happy. Age has nothing to do with that!

Note: Not saying you are old, understand?

Enjoy Moab and all points between.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:38 AM   #5
Coley

Very cool and good to still be in the game of climbing!!...its a heck of a sport and really something to watch the people who excel at it.
I've never been a fan of heights which has kept me finding other things to do that don't require looking downwards for than about 15 ft, lol.

well done!

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 12:02 PM   #6
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Looks like fun. Have a safe trip....

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:31 PM   #7
joedoh

my wifes good friends live in castle rock, its a really nice area, get there once in a while and even took the easy way up the rock once.

congrats on your climb!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:37 PM   #8
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Thanks fellas. I appreciate the comments. We made it to Moab early this am. Hiked 1.5 miles back into Arches. Then hit Canyonlands in the afternoon. Got the tent set up south of town. Probably swing on down to Brice Cayon in the morning. My wife has been to a lot of the nation parks growing up with her folks. She bought a pass to the parks and I think we are hitting the ones she missed.
First pic is in Arches. Second and third pics are in Canyonlands. Had to come all the way to Utah to get the view of the 3rd photo.
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2018, 06:27 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

And I bet neither of you had a dime to make a call ! Yeah, I know, hasn't been a dime in ages...if you find one. But that was the cost forever and used in songs, etc. Came to mean enough change to make a call.

I want to use this word that folks commonly use, but in this case I'm using it in it's absolute literal definition.... Awesome! It really is all that. I stand in awe viewing the circle I stand at the center of anywhere in the high deserts. I have people come back east saying they disliked it, "There's no trees" or "Everything looked dead". They couldn't be more wrong. Well, there are no trees and not much vegetation, but so so much to look at. I tell them "It isn't back east" or "You have to look harder to see the life". You are looking at the land itself. You are seeing the Earth left along to do as it pleases in spite of all. You are seeing what the first inhabitants saw, what the first settlers saw, what the animals that dwell there see, nature's own Earth. Having been there, I can feel what it's like to sit there just as the people in the picture. The dry air, the smells, the lack of sound, and the way sounds carry. Like I said, awesome!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:35 PM   #10
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Sounds like a great trip. Have fun and be careful out there....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:10 PM   #11
Roady’s truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsolver72 View Post
It’s been 15 years since I climbed the rock at Castle Rock Colorado and almost 50 years since the first time I was at the top of the rock. Today I climbed it from a different section. Back when I was 5 or 6 we lived a block away. My mom was a Den mom and my brothers were in cub scouts. I was to young to be a Cub Scout but I was able to do some of the activities they did. Back then there was a metal stair case you could walk up. Well Mother Nature took those stairs out many years ago. I ain’t Alex Honnold free soloing El Cap but I feel like a kid every time I’m on that rock.
50 years ago! Boy how castle rock has changed since the 60’s and 70’s.
I’m nearing 50 “ not trying to make you feel old”. My great grand parents and children moved from Chicago to castle rock back around 39 or so and started a small motel. Chances are you know of it and/or of them. The motel is on your left if your going north on the old highway going out of castle rock on the old u.s. highway 85 before 25 went through. Their names are Mr.&Mrs.Wadstien my mother stayed there with her grandparents a lot on week ends and summers. She grew up in Denver and told me many stories of walking into town and climbing castle rock.

Is the star still up Top and lit at night like it used to be?
Old 10-01-2018, 08:42 PM   #12
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
And I bet neither of you had a dime to make a call ! Yeah, I know, hasn't been a dime in ages...if you find one. But that was the cost forever and used in songs, etc. Came to mean enough change to make a call.

I want to use this word that folks commonly use, but in this case I'm using it in it's absolute literal definition.... Awesome! It really is all that. I stand in awe viewing the circle I stand at the center of anywhere in the high deserts. I have people come back east saying they disliked it, "There's no trees" or "Everything looked dead". They couldn't be more wrong. Well, there are no trees and not much vegetation, but so so much to look at. I tell them "It isn't back east" or "You have to look harder to see the life". You are looking at the land itself. You are seeing the Earth left along to do as it pleases in spite of all. You are seeing what the first inhabitants saw, what the first settlers saw, what the animals that dwell there see, nature's own Earth. Having been there, I can feel what it's like to sit there just as the people in the picture. The dry air, the smells, the lack of sound, and the way sounds carry. Like I said, awesome!
Thanks for your perspective. I know what you’re saying,.. all true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
Sounds like a great trip. Have fun and be careful out there....
Will do Leon and thanks!

LockDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roady’s truck View Post
I’m nearing 50 “ not trying to make you feel old”. My great grand parents and children moved from Chicago to castle rock back around 39 or so and started a small motel. Chances are you know of it and/or of them. The motel is on your left if your going north on the old highway going out of castle rock on the old u.s. highway 85 before 25 went through. Their names are Mr.&Mrs.Wadstien my mother stayed there with her grandparents a lot on week ends and summers. She grew up in Denver and told me many stories of walking into town and climbing castle rock.

Yes the star is still there and the flag! I said a prayer at the flag.
I didn’t get a good pic of the star but part it in is in this photo.
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2018, 08:55 PM   #13
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Made it to Bryce...lots of Hoodoos. Setting up camp here tonight.
Attached Images

Last edited by LockDoc; 10-01-2018 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:13 PM   #14
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roady’s truck View Post

Bet my parents knew of your great grandparents.
I was going through my pictures today and found this one.
I never forget what it looks like on top of that rock. That’s I-25 and I think that huge mound is called Black Hawk, but I’m not 100% sure.
Attached Images

Last edited by kingsolver72; 10-04-2018 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:38 PM   #15
kingsolver72
10/30/19

My wife and I spent some time hiking in Zion before we wrapped up our vacation. We hit the easier trails. We made it home today.
1st pic is Great White Throne on the right and Oregon in the left.
2nd just cool little river. I don’t recall the name.
3rd is Weeping Rock.
4th is Lower Emerald Pool.
5th is just an incredibly great view at the end off the trail at Weeping Rock. I think.
My beautiful wife has been planning this trip for a while now. I’m glad she pulled me away from the “farm”.
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2018, 04:55 PM   #16
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Actually this is Lower Emerald Pool.
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2018, 06:45 PM   #17
3757chevy

Cool pics , Thanks for sharing.
MIKE
3757chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:32 PM   #18
pritch

Hmm, probably the Virgin River, maybe Kolob Creek. I'm kinda surprised there's that much water, of course it has been rainy these last few days.
did you make it up to Dead Horse Point out of Moab? Highway 89 from from Bryce there's the Big Rock Candy Mountain, kinda drab when it's dry, but if you're lucky enough to hit it just after a rain when the sun comes back it is simply stunning! And Cedar Breaks is incredible! Just off the beaten path enough to not be too crowded yet. It's been a couple years since I've been down there, it's about time to make another run. Maybe come January when it's 20 below in Northern Utah I'll cruise down to find some sun shine.

Kinda gets back to the 'Why do you live where you do' thread.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:38 PM   #19
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Beautiful country. Good to see you still have the youthful exuberance to hang with mountain goats!
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:52 PM   #20
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritch View Post
Hmm, probably the Virgin River, maybe Kolob Creek. I'm kinda surprised there's that much water, of course it has been rainy these last few days.
did you make it up to Dead Horse Point out of Moab? Highway 89 from from Bryce there's the Big Rock Candy Mountain, kinda drab when it's dry, but if you're lucky enough to hit it just after a rain when the sun comes back it is simply stunning! And Cedar Breaks is incredible! Just off the beaten path enough to not be too crowded yet. It's been a couple years since I've been down there, it's about time to make another run. Maybe come January when it's 20 below in Northern Utah I'll cruise down to find some sun shine.

Kinda gets back to the 'Why do you live where you do' thread.
Now I’m thinking it was called Kanab river? We came down 89 hwy from Moab, Arches/Canyonlands. There was a river that ran along 89 called Sevier.. I think. Went to Bryce first and took 15 hwy over to Zion.
There was a lot of people there.
We didn’t make it to Dead Horse Point or Big Rock CandyMountain.
I probably should have posted here on the boards asking what to see along with the places my wife wanted to see.
I like cold weather camping but man 20 below is too cold for me.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:57 PM   #21
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Beautiful country. Good to see you still have the youthful exuberance to hang with mountain goats!
I don’t know that I can hang with mountain goats but have been called an old goat.
My wife spotted Bigfoot.
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2018, 11:51 PM   #22
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Great pictures Scott. Pat & I took a trip out that way quite a few years ago and really enjoyed the parks. Glad you guys made it home safe and sound....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:01 AM   #23
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
Great pictures Scott. Pat & I took a trip out that way quite a few years ago and really enjoyed the parks. Glad you guys made it home safe and sound....

LockDoc
Thanks Leon! I agree with what Tim said earlier about it being awesome. Traveling through the parts of Utah that we travelled was interesting to see. The mountains and rock were so different in color and shapes. I’ve never said “Wow” so many times in a week. I think I said it so often that I may have said it backwards.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:07 PM   #24
pritch

Yeah, the Sevier river runs along Highway 89. For those that are unfamiliar, 89 pretty much runs parallel to I-15, separated by a mountain range and some of the most spectacular views anywhere. Zion and Cedar Breaks is in between.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote