The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2015, 03:44 PM   #1
Roadhog

71 GMC 4x4 "BOB" Big Orange Beast

Hello all,

This has been an ongoing project since 2008. Since that time she's sat in the driveway much to the dislike of my wife as it has "uglied up" the house. I would have to agree but only that it was primer gray with rust runs everywhere. Due to the economy the buikd has taken a few turns. We have moved 4 times in 3 years and a have taken a different job to get this thing back on track. I am happy to say that after 2 years of garage time and working on h e re and there she is finally able to sit in the sun. My wife still says it makes the house look silly, but she didn't say it was ugly, which is a step in the right direction!

This is where I started after picking here up in Vancouver Wa for $3500.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2015, 04:14 PM   #2
Roadhog

Re: 71 GMC 4x4 "BOB" Big Orange Beast

Into my garage from my dad's garage in Yakima. Made the trip without an issue. Original small block still runs strong! Other people on the road were afraid of me and they kept their distance. Washington drivers are a s strange breed. As you can see I removed the doors which later in the project I wish I hadn't (getting to re-a-line). Due to the new upper and lower rocker panels being replaced, it caused the door to not line up just right, more on that later.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2015, 04:28 PM   #3
Roadhog

As with all these old trucks, there were common areas of rust and cancer on mine as well. Both rockers inside and out, both floor pans, and both quarters. Thanks to LMC and Brothers, I got the parts I needed to fix them. Cutting wheel and die grinder here I come.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:35 PM   #4
Roadhog

Passenger side front rocker inside and out replaced. Since the the floorpan wasn't that bad (only in spots), I cut out and replaced what was bad and welded in new sheet metal.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2015, 04:39 PM   #5
Roadhog

Passenger side floor. You can see in the corner the rocker that was ate away before it was replaced.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2015, 04:42 PM   #6
Roadhog

Drivers side was just as bad if not worse. A lot more cutting and work involved to get it fixed. Rocker panel inside and out as well as cutting the cancer out of the floor pan.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2015, 04:47 PM   #7
Roadhog

After replacing all the rockers (including the 3rd door). Moved on to the quarters. Both needed to be replaced. As you can see, I had to also replace the lower section for the backup light. It had rotted out as well.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2015, 04:51 PM   #8
Roadhog

Passenger side quarter fixed. Man did I feel accomplished as this was beginning to look like a truck again not to mention a lot of work paying off!
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2015, 04:56 PM   #9
Roadhog

Drivers side was worse as it had a ton of bondo hiding a huge dent as well as rust. They must have hit a stump. Oh well cut and replace. Had to also replace the upper and lower turn signal and back up panel.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2015, 05:21 PM   #10
Roadhog

Since I live on the west side of Washington, rain and road salt is a huge concern! Due to this I wanted to take every precaution to prevent rust since I was done cutting it out and replacing a lot of metal. I was between Por15 and Chassis Saver from Magnet paints. I decided to go with chassis saver due to tons of positive reviews plus it is cheaper than por 15. I was also contemplating on using bed liner instead of paint to further resist the elements. I will also be using this rig for a hunt/trail vehicle. Chassis Saver inside and out after all body work was completed.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2015, 05:32 PM   #11
Roadhog

I decided to go with a bed liner material inside and out. I didn't want to go black so I started looking around. I got quotes from Linex and it was astronomical ($3000)...so to plan B, DIY project. If you have done any research on DIY bedliner it's enough to make your head spin. All of the companies claim to be the best with the toughest materials made. Well my experience was hit and miss😐 I decided to go with Monstaliner due to their uv ratings as well as the ability pick from various colors. Their customer service was good and we're helpful on making suggestions. I chose to go med quartz grey on the inside and road rash on the outside.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2015, 05:38 PM   #12
Roadhog

Interior work. Seats I got at the Goodguys swap meet from a guy that does handicap work in Honda vans for lift gates. He removes the middle row seats and sells them (3 piece) 2 buckets and a jump seat in the middle that also serves as a arm rest when folded down. Also built custom console to hold aftermarket stereo and speakers. Didn't want to cut the dash or the doors.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2015, 05:40 PM   #13
Roadhog

Finally out of the garage. First time to see the sun in well over a year!!!
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2015, 05:43 PM   #14
Roadhog

Thanks to Pro Touch upholstery in Federal Way, Chewy did a great job in matching the front seats in color and design.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2015, 05:45 PM   #15
Roadhog

Barn doors and custom boxes completed. Starting to look good!
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2015, 05:47 PM   #16
Roadhog

Door panels to match. Also cleaned up the arm rests and steering column.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2015, 06:10 PM   #17
Roadhog

Due to having 16.5 slotted mags that I did not to part with, I was between a rock and a hard place. As you may know, they no longer make tires that are 16.5. I was going to need to change my plans. I initially started out with a mix mash of tires 33s that had about 50% tread life. I wanted to go with 35s to balance out the look I was going for. I wanted the BFG All-Terrains but we're no longer available in 35x12.50x16.5. The only tires still being produced were swampers but didn't want to go that route because I still wanted to drive on the highway. I began to research options which are extremely limited. I was lucky to find Berg Tires in Fayetteville, NC. http://www.bergtires.com who specialize in military tires taken off humvees. They offer a variety of tires in different sizes and tread %'s. I got the 37x12.50x16.5 @ 95/100%. The price was right as I ordered 5 tires (1 for a spare) shipped to business to save on shipping for $815 total in less than a week turn around. Time to get them mounted up to see if they'll fit (under my 4-inch Rancho lift (fingers crossed)!
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2015, 06:20 PM   #18
Roadhog

Well tried to get them mounted at Les Schwab- Graham and they said they couldn't do it because they were "too STIFF". What a joke! I called ahead and gave them the heads up and they still turned me away. Well I took my business elsewhere and Tire factory Sumner hooked me up in about two hours. The only bad news is they barely fit under the 4-inch lift. I rub in the front at half turn and also in the rear over bumps. I will be installing the only lift that is available for these rigs offered from Skyjacker. Will be going with their 8-inch lift to cover all the bases. Wish me luck as this is the most recent work. I will post more during the lift install.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2015, 08:58 PM   #19
Jbsweezy

Thanks for posting this up, I just bought a 1971 suburban that has a lot of rust and was starting to get overwhelmed but just saw your post and feel like I can do it no problem now ha ha.
Jbsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:05 PM   #20
Roadhog

Smile Re: 71 GMC 4x4 "BOB" Big Orange Beast

Yeah it's a lot of work but it's well worth it in the end have patience you can do it
Old 08-02-2015, 10:15 PM   #21
pwdcougar

Looks great!

Paul
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:48 AM   #22
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Wow, what a transformation. I like it.

It's too bad about the 16.5's because I have some stock 8.25x16.5 rims for the '68 CST. I have found some good used 16.5's at the local salvage yard off of older motor homes & campers over the years.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:12 PM   #23
Average Joe

Cool Burb. Well done!

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:21 PM   #24
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage

Have to love a 4x4 GMC burb on slots! I think eventually I will have to go the same route with the 37s (unless they eventually make the new 17" slots in a 8 lug)
68SWB4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:28 PM   #25
pwdcougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
Interior work. Seats I got at the Goodguys swap meet from a guy that does handicap work in Honda vans for lift gates. He removes the middle row seats and sells them (3 piece) 2 buckets and a jump seat in the middle that also serves as a arm rest when folded down. Also built custom console to hold aftermarket stereo and speakers. Didn't want to cut the dash or the doors.
Hey Josh. Love the front seats. Are they adjustable? Finding a decent front split bench with a console in my price range is near impossible.

Paul
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote