The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2006, 02:44 PM   #26
HotRod71
Short, Fleet, Slammed, V8 Club

Re: Who wears a wedding ring while working in the garage?

I do alot of paint and bodywork so I can't wear a ring doing that. I don't even wear my necklace while doing that either. My wife doesn't mind at all. I used to wear it when I was a cable tech installing computer network cable. Learned my lesson there let me tell ya. It goes into my left front pocket when I am working and then right back on when I would hit the timeclock. Now I lost some weight and that big size 13 won't stay on my ring finger anymore so I have to wear it on the middle one. I have yet to have someone see it and think I was single. Besides my wife and I have been together for 13 yrs. We even got divorced once and she didn't even take her engagement ring of the whole time we were apart. I wore mine around my neck for the whole year.

My brother on the other hand wears his wedding ring on his necklace. He lost a butt load of weight and it will not fit ANY finger. He does wear another ring on his ring finger on the left side though. He is married to a red head and thank goodness they been married dang near 16 yrs or should would have done shot him.

I respect those who will not take their's off reguardless. Actually it is admirable.

71 Chevy SWB Fleetside (WIP)

www.4x4grace.com
HotRod71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:53 PM   #27
redneckgirl

My hubby, centsless actually owes most of the fingers on his left hand to his wedding ring. Not long after we got married he was working for a company that makes tin signs. He was repairing one of the presses when the safety cut loose and a 400lb+ die dropped on his hand. The only thing that was holding the plate from crushing his hand was his wedding band. He was able to wiggle his hand free, and then got help to lift the die and retrieve the ring. It's still a little egg-shaped, but he has all his fingers!

Last edited by redneckgirl; 09-09-2006 at 11:54 PM.
redneckgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 12:50 AM   #28
rfmaster

Hey

Since I got married I never took my band off. In my family it is considered a sign of bad luck!

RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 11:34 PM   #29
Don T.
Procrastinator Supreme

I guess my working with electronics and such has kept me from thinking twice about it; too many picturres of the disembodied fingers of others to want to add mine to the collection. It's bad enough that I lost about 1/4" off the tips of my right index & middle fingers back in `89; no point in losing any more! I don't wear any jewelery at all anymore (not even a watch) so it's not that odd to my wife of 21 years that I'm not wearing a ring anymore. It's not like there's anyone out there that's looking at my fingers longingly, anyway...

`66 GMC SWB SS - 327 & TH350, factory PS & PB, current project truck

`01 Jeep XJ - Solar Yellow 2D w/6" lift, 33s and 4.56 posi
`04 Scorpa SY250 - my newest off-road vehicle!
Other asst. yard ornaments... inquire within
Don T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:04 PM   #30
papawswrench

Been married 32 years and I will take my ring off when safety requires , but generally it stays on . For a few years it would not come off anyway due to me being a big fat guy !
On the other hand , my wife only wore her ring for about 2 years , then it went in the jewelty box , where it has resided for at least 29 years . As for sentiment , I have never depended on seeing a ring on my finger to remind me of the committment we made to each other .
papawswrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 04:22 PM   #31
Trucks
Is that a Chevy 69...?

I want to hear a horror story from a guy who got in trouble wearing it while working on his vehicle. I kinda think its so rare that it actually doesn't happen.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:41 PM   #32
redneckgirl

I don't take mine off. There have been 3 times in 13 years that I have taken mine off for anything other than a cleaning. While pregnant with our second son, I had a severe swelling problem, and one weekend my hands were swollen so bad I had to get my brother to cut my engagement ring & wedding band off with a pair of bolt cutters, as my finger was purple...after having to pay to have them repaired after he was born($$$), I wore them on a chain around my neck for our 3rd & 4th children...
Old 09-16-2006, 12:02 AM   #33
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

I wear a wedding ring, but not the wedding ring. I have a simple, plain gold band that I wear everyday. My nice ring stays in the safe.

Story - My Dad use to work for the county road and bridge department. He was getting out of his road grader, turn around and started down the ladder with his back away from the grader, then went to jump off the last couple feet. His ring got caught on a small piece of welding slag on the ladder and left him hanging there with his feet off the ground! I was too little to lift him, but he was eventually able to get himself up and unhooked. I had to cut his ring off with a pair of side cutters. He still has the ring, both pieces of it

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 09:46 PM   #34
7387chevys

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
I knew a guy. Who was an owner of a service station. He was wearing his class ring, While working on a car. Some how it got caught not sure on what, But it didn't just take his finger. He lost his hand as well.
bulky class ring comes off when working on stuff that could grab it/or get it warm/or when painting
7387chevys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 02:03 PM   #35
Trucks
Is that a Chevy 69...?

My thought is why are people sticking their hands around the fan and belts while a car is running? That seems to be the problem not the rings. Its almost like an "urban legend". The one where he's jumping off of a peice of construction equipment is somewhat different, as that type of thing seems to have happened out in the open.
The scare people tell me i syou will get your hand stuck (say behind a starter or something) and not be able to pull it out. Wierd stuff.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:49 PM   #36
mtndewmaniac66
Do the Dew!

Sorry guys, I WILL NOT wear a ring when I am working in any type of physical environment. I work on my truck, jeep, and anything else that my wife and I own, I do carpentry an framing work, and I also to some electrical. Even when the gloves are worn, the ring comes off. I have had my gloves get snagged on a nail, or a wood sliver. I have personally seen my old shop instructor in woodshop actually lose a finger while spinning a lathe, the tool got lodged against the spindle and kicked the tool back. My instructor was left handed, which didn't help. Just imagine seeing all that blood when you're 16 years old and in school. My wife fully understands when I take my ring off, besides, it saves the finish on the ring when I don't wear it.
mtndewmaniac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 02:39 AM   #37
RACINJASON22
GEARHEAD

My brother got hung up by his wedding ring at work didn't lose the finger, but it was pretty bad. He still wears his everyday go figure. Personally I threw er away counld not stand her anymore the wife that is. My girl freind is much better and she did not come with a ring

SUBSCRIBE HEREBOARD VENDORS HERE

NORWOOD MEET SURVIVOR!
RACINJASON22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:12 AM   #38
Mickey_D
Dirteh Kitteh

As an electronics technician in the Navy working on high power radars, we had keyring hooks just inside the shops for both Seasparrow and CIWS. They weren't for your keys, they were for your rings and other jewelry.

We also had an area about 3' X 3' on the floor just inside the door marked off with red tape. You were facing disciplinary action if you stepped over that red line without taking any and all jewelry off.

And the rules applied to everyone. As a lowly E-4 (equivilant to a corporal) I asked the captain (ranked the same as a Colonel) to please step back behind the red line. When the puzzled look crossed his face, I reminded him he was still wearing his wedding ring. Amazingly enough, he agreed with me and removed all his jewelry before proceeding into the space.

Sometimes you can actually come across a good officer. Not often, but occasionally.

I still to this day remove my wedding ring (I don't wear a watch or my dogtags anymore) when I'm doing anything involving electricity or moving parts.

1955 Willys CJ-5 all original and the oldest CJ-5 on the road.
2001 Dodge Neon (wife's car)
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Edition SOLD
1981 K15 Custom Deluxe 4X4, rusty but trusty wood hauler. SOLD
1993 S-10 4X4 Tahoe SOLD

RIP ESLL
Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:06 PM   #39
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

since ive been married to my second wife, who i adore i didnt want to take the wedding ring off until one day when i was upstate and i had changed the oil in my truck. I had oil on my hands and i went to wipe my hands well apparently the ring came off and went flying. I was frantic. My wife and i searched for almost 20 minutes before we found it. I was so glad to have this ring back...its a claddaah ring and she picked it out special for me.. she said it called her .. well since then when i work ( and she works with me) i remove the ring and she holds it for me.. sometimes if she is working on something messy with me she willplace the ring on her chain.. as soon as im done the ring goes right back on my finger

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:41 PM   #40
retodd7711
chrome makes it go FASTER!

We were too poor when we got married to afford wedding rings.A few years later I saved up enough to buy my wife a ring. I just don't care for rings so I got our weddding date tattoed instead.
and she brings me beer.
She can stay for now.
EDIT:: But she left me anyway,
So forget her.

1962 GMC Stepside V6 4 speed
My rolling resto thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=324226
My old farm truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3465005
retodd7711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:14 PM   #41
hdflstf

Don't wear it except special occasions.

Reasons:
Can scratch car when washing.
Batteries, welding, power tools, already covered.
Working on and around expensive space flight hardware where a scratch in the wrong place could blow up a rocket.
Working on and around aircraft control system hardware for which I'm not interested in being the cause of some damage or leaving a finger behind in it.
hdflstf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:20 PM   #42
68K20 x Drill

No jewelry at work.
My buddy got his ring lit off by a battery, and it burned him pretty good.

84 Chevrolet Suburban K20 6.2 Banks turbo TH400/NP208 Now with G80

68 GMC C20 Parts? Truck

And a few cars
68K20 x Drill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:13 PM   #43
willis0107
67lwb

I have seen many of people hurt from wearing their rings at work. I have even done it to myself.

A year or so ago I was doing sheet metal work on my truck when I weld I only where a glove on my hand holding the gun as I was welding my ring contacted the ground and coupled with a bad gun I got a good shock.

At work though I work with a lot of rotating assemblies (motors and pumps) I have seen guys get their rings caught while checking for alignments on pumps and get the ring clamped onto their fingers. Ring clamps are always a good way to go the the ER.

At home I never wear my ring for a couple of reasons. First I have taken off gloves and thrown my ring away.(found it later in the burning barrel) secondly my hands are always dirty from working in the garage or yard and I do not want to have to clean grease and dirt off of my ring. Not to mention safety while cutting wood or working on my vehicles.
willis0107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:43 PM   #44
65VOL

I'll be getting married in a few months and haven't decided on my ring yet. I've had friends with tungsten and titanium rings lose/gain weight and need to get totally new rings because once they're forged they're done. I've also heard horror stories of tungsten rings needing to be put in a vise if you break your finger. I guess when it comes down to it I'm going to use my best judgment when working on something. I'm sure if my lady picks my ring then I'll do my darndest to keep it pristine. I do however think I'm going to get a similar ring design tattooed for the times that I do take it off. haha any reason for me to get another tattoo I like.
65VOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:47 PM   #45
monte0185

Back when i was married I wore my wedding ring all the time till one day I was working on my car and had my hand up near the starter feeling of wires checking fusable links and my ring got caught between the posotive post and something and it arched it. I luckily yanked my hand back and only the ring had a chunk out of it but from then on if i was doing any electrical work i took it off. I havent wore one in like 7 years so when i get married again its gonna be weird wearing one again but im sure the wife will understand when i take it off. My last one was barely recognizable after 5 years as a wedding band.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
monte0185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:08 AM   #46
dammitmitchell
the pollock

i worked high voltage high amperage avionics for 6.5 years..
i USED to take off my ring...
but is topped careing =-)
my wife understood but i lost stuff all the time.. and really did not ever like the idea of insuring my ring and having to use it...
but if worse came to worse i would once in a while when i KNEW i would be working in live wires..
if you have a chain.. or some five fifty chord (green army rope) you can always tie it around your neck..
or my buddy has a keyring he keeps just for his wedding band when he removes his... but his is pretty ... all shiny and frilly n such

and yes she will understand.. just show her the pictures of what happens when arc burn hits yer finger..

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=343538
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=386042
dammitmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:57 AM   #47
justcuz

I never wear my wedding ring, heres why. I am a fireman and we went on a water leak call once. It was under a sink that was the old stainless steel type that had the electric stove built into it. When I reached under the sink to shut the water off, the minute I touched the handle on the valve I grounded out and shocked the hell out of myself and burned my finger. Many of my co-workers have injured their fingers in wedding ring related accidents. So me and most of my co-workers do not wear our rings.
justcuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:01 AM   #48
Sub-versive
Boss Hogg

Sweet, old thread.

I quit wearing mine after a close call with the table saw. The ring got caught in between the board and the fence. And after discussions with wife about degloving, she was OK with that.
Sub-versive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:26 AM   #49
Adams74Chevy

I wear mine for 2 reasons:
A.) My finger got fatter since getting married, my dad says that's due to good cooking
B.) She'd beat me if I took it off
1987 V20 Custom Deluxe 350 TH400 NP208 "farm truck" getting parted out.
2016 Nissan Altima grocery getter/commuter
Adams74Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:45 AM   #50
Lugnut64052
Middle-aged Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn View Post
Ive been working on cars for almost 30 years & now run CNC machines & have always worn a ring. Never had any problems but I can also see the danger in it. Anything can happen, with or without a ring as far as that goes. Ill take my wedding ring off the day Im no longer married.
I'm the same way. Every once in a while I'll have a close call, hook it on something slightly and think "I really should be taking it off," . . .

About ten years ago I was prying on something heavy under a hood. I think it was the rear head on a Chrysler minivan. It finally popped loose and banged my hand against the inner fender, crushing my ring. The inside curve got bent into a "W" shape. I ran in the house, slopped some dish soap on it and just did wiggle it off before my finger swelled up. Hurt like hell. So far that's the closest call I've had.

Check out the site's Truck Tech FAQ.
Be a site supporter.
My more-or-less pathetic build thread.

Board members I've met:
------------------------------
Longhorn Man
Dieselwrencher
jholley
big mike71
Lugnut64052 is offline   Reply With Quote