The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-03-2007, 06:50 PM   #1
Zoomad75
K5Camper

New mini-project: A washer pump that works!

I'm tired of the PITA mechanical washer pump on my 75. I've rebuilt it once and it worked fine for maybe a month. Then the pump would stick and stay running anytime the wipers were on and drain the little pint of fluid in about 30 seconds. The last straw was driving from Denver to Pueblo (100 miles or so) after the recent blizzard with no pump action at all. Given the fact that the boneheads at CDOT started using mag-chloride for ice control it made my problem even worse. Nothing like mag-chloride and snowmelt for an absolutely filthy to the point of zero visibility windshield. I lost count how many times I pulled over to throw snowballs at the window to clean it.

DirtyLarry here did something that I'm going to rip-off him for my K5. He got a washer bottle with electric pump from a late model Step-van. In usual fashion his install looks like it was supposed to be there. I'd use the same part if my Dad didn't already have one for a 93-94 S10 Blazer. Key word here is ***FREEEBIE***

The only difference I can see from the S10 to the step van is the S10 part has an extra pump for use on the rear window. I'm not thinking this is a bad thing. I'd love to have a wiper on the back window, but it's more work than I have time for to engineer. SO, what to use the extra pump for? Should I set them up to run one pump to one nozzle (most likely overkill, but thats cool too ). Or should I cap the rear pump off and not use it at all? Or should I use the extra pump for something else? Headlight squirters, ala mercedes? As a more devious use I could set up a nozzle to shoot out from the grill to hit other cars/people.

I'm leaning towords using one pump per nozzle but I'm open to ideas.

Wiring should be easy as I figured a way to control the pump from the stock switch. All the switch does is provide a ground for the washer solonoid. Pull power from the power into the solonoid to the pump and run the ground back to the ground wire for the solonoid to the switch. Just need to make sure the pumps don't pull too much amperage for the wiper fuse.

I'll get to work on it this weekend since I'm too busy and it's too cold right now. Will take pics if people want it.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote