The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2023, 07:38 PM   #1
tex_waco_usmc
Project Heaven in my 67!!!

Headers and engine mount headaches…

67 c-10, lowered. Wanted headers that weren’t long tube for ground clearance issues. Ordered a set of chevelle mid length headers as many people on the forum said they fit perfectly and come out perfectly in line with the frame.

Truck is an original 2wd, and now has a 350/350 in it. Correct sbc mount perches and engine mounts from the 67.

Headers won’t fit in between the frame and engine block. It almost appears the engine is sitting too low in the bay. Is there a solution or am I just stuck trying to send these headers back and ordering something else?
tex_waco_usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 08:52 PM   #2
RustyPile

Re: Headers and engine mount headaches…

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex_waco_usmc View Post
67 c-10, lowered. Wanted headers that weren’t long tube for ground clearance issues. Ordered a set of chevelle mid length headers as many people on the forum said they fit perfectly and come out perfectly in line with the frame.

Truck is an original 2wd, and now has a 350/350 in it. Correct sbc mount perches and engine mounts from the 67.

Headers won’t fit in between the frame and engine block. It almost appears the engine is sitting too low in the bay. Is there a solution or am I just stuck trying to send these headers back and ordering something else?
If the fan blades on the water pump line up properly with the fan shroud, the engine is in the proper place. When engineers were designing these trucks, they didn't have header installation on their minds. However, this doesn't mean headers won't fit.. Starting in '68 or '69, the factory "trimmed" the top of the frame so that big blocks would have room for the exhaust manifolds. The removed strip is about 1/2" - 3/4" wide and runs a little longer than the length of the head. It doesn't seem to weaken the frame any, and provides lots of clearance for headers..

It's a big job to trim the frame if the truck is all put together and some disassembly is required, but it can be done.. If you use a torch, just be sure you don't set fire to something... Otherwise, just keep shopping for headers that fit...
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 09:12 PM   #3
PowerdbyChevy79

Hedman 69010 are midlength and fit between the frame rails.. I have used them on 67-72 and Squarebody trucks with factory frame mounts and they fit great.
1979 C10 Silverado "The BIG TEN" https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=841339
1982 C10 Silverado "Lucy"
C10 Club Texas -HMIC
PowerdbyChevy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 12:41 AM   #4
Hatzman

IM using Doug Thorleys. A bit pricey, but fit and work great.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=618848
Hatzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 07:49 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

What brand headers are you using? Got pictures?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 09:03 AM   #6
HO455
Post Whore

The PO of my 67 Burban installed some Chevelle headers and used a torch to get them to fit. Apparently he didn't have a grinder or any paint to clean up the mess after he torched the frame. See photos of the slice out of the passenger side and the piece off of the drivers side motor mount stand.

I'm not advocating this kind of work but it hasn't caused any problems other than of being visually annoying. I did go in and grind and paint the areas when I had the engine out so it's quite a bit less annoying than it was.

I don't know what brand but I believe the were for a 71 Chevelle.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 10:21 AM   #7
tex_waco_usmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
The PO of my 67 Burban installed some Chevelle headers and used a torch to get them to fit. Apparently he didn't have a grinder or any paint to clean up the mess after he torched the frame. See photos of the slice out of the passenger side and the piece off of the drivers side motor mount stand.

I'm not advocating this kind of work but it hasn't caused any problems other than of being visually annoying. I did go in and grind and paint the areas when I had the engine out so it's quite a bit less annoying than it was.

I don't know what brand but I believe the were for a 71 Chevelle.
Those are the exact spots these headers are hitting. And to answer the other questions they are the silver ceramic coated southwest performance headers mid length for a chevelle.

I wonder if I could use some tubular engine stands and solve the drivers side figment issues and I had already planned on removing 1/2” (roughly) from the passenger side frame rail in order to install a big block when it is done being built (building it slowly as $ permits so I get exactly what I want)
Old 04-12-2023, 01:58 PM   #8
RustyPile

The PO of my BBC equipped truck had it set up for the dragstrip. Solid Morroso front engine mounts along with a funky transmission crossmember made for a bad ride on the street. I removed all those parts and install POL engine mounts.. I have cast iron exhaust manifolds so I don't know how headers would fit...

https://www.performanceonline.com/19...-Brackets-V-8/
Old 04-12-2023, 02:18 PM   #9
tex_waco_usmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
The PO of my BBC equipped truck had it set up for the dragstrip. Solid Morroso front engine mounts along with a funky transmission crossmember made for a bad ride on the street. I removed all those parts and install POL engine mounts.. I have cast iron exhaust manifolds so I don't know how headers would fit...

https://www.performanceonline.com/19...-Brackets-V-8/
Those actually look like they’ll work! Do you have a picture of them on the truck with engine installed?
Old 04-12-2023, 02:34 PM   #10
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex_waco_usmc View Post
Those actually look like they’ll work! Do you have a picture of them on the truck with engine installed?
'63 - '67 is one application and '68 up is another application, because of the later frames are "trimmed" from the factory. I don't have any pictures of the install, but that wouldn't help you anyway.. My truck is a '71 and the engine is a big block. I can tell you this: The mounts are a perfect fit. They bolt into existing holes and use Chevelle insulated mounts.

I removed the fan clutch and fan shroud. Hooked an engine hoist to the engine and lifted it slightly. Removed all the Morroso stuff and bolted in the POL parts. Let the engine down and everything lined up perfectly..

[EDITED to add additional information]

OEM motor mounts fit POL mount brackets or they offer an assortment of mounts that also fit..
https://www.performanceonline.com/19...engine-mounts/

Last edited by RustyPile; 04-12-2023 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-12-2023, 03:18 PM   #11
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Headers should clear stock '69-'71 big block frame brackets. They have a dip where HO455's brackets are cut....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 12:52 PM   #12
tex_waco_usmc

Ok, so after looking at the mounts and stands I decided that I was going to use the big block aftermarket stands and mounts. Not tubular but cnc plasma cut. Summit brand. (Mainly because there’s a summit in Arlington and I can go pick them up) after I trim the passenger side frame rail and get those installed I’ll let y’all know if everything played out right.