The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-02-2009, 11:14 PM   #1
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Wing or vent window rebuild

I am finally getting around to getting this together. For now it will just be the teardown. I will finish up mine and post some pics of the steps taken hopefully within a week. If you can't wait til I do that, just reverse the tear down. I'm not going to list part numbers because there are several vendors that carry the items needed.

Parts needed

Vent window rebuild kit (it comes with the rivet tool)

Window/door weatherstrip kit (it's generally cheaper to get everything together)

New vent window latch (if needed)

I will leave the tool choices up to you.

Most important is to make sure the pin that is in the glass channel that the latch pivots on is in good shape and not missing. As of right now there is not a repair kit for it.

Step 1

Remove roll pin from latch handle and remove handle and spring washer (picture above) and inspect pivot.

Step 2

Measure how far the stud sticks out from the nut. Then spread out lock washer. Notice the placement of washers. The flat part of the top washer that is like a triangle goes towards the front.

Step 3

Drill out pivet rivot

This is the placement of hardware (Pay attention to orientation make notes. Be sure you install everything right before you install the pivot rivot. If the washers are not installed correctly the window will not open right.)

Step 4

Grab the top of the window and pull it out of the track. I've been told by Tim Christian that all of the glass from 60-67 does not have a hole in it where the lever goes. 68 and up has a hole with the lever pivot pin goes thru the glass. I've removed 5 glasses and they all come out easy since the rubber is dry rotted.

Step 5

Remove rubber from channel that holds glass in.

Step 6

Remove the main vertical weatherstrip that the door glass goes up and down in.

Drill 4 rivets on the vertical rubber and remove.

Step 7

Remove the rubber that the glass seals against. Grab one end and pull out. It comes out pretty easy depending on how dry rotted it is. Nothing holds it in place except for itself. The rubber squeezes into the channel.

Step

Last edited by Alan's Classic; 03-13-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote