The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
AZ DESERT DOG

AZ DESERT DOG Project - "Shop Truck"

Well I am starting a new project this year sort of by accident… I just sold a ’55 Chevy Pro Street project that needed a complete update and overhaul… floors, cage, rear suspension, wiring, motor, transmission etc… and I was going to just wait until after the New Year before jumping back into another car but you guys and gals know how it goes… when something good comes up, you gotta jump on it. Well… I diffidently jumped on it! I picked up a 1955 Chevy Big Window Short Bed Step Side project and so it begins… my Son (21 years old) and I won’t be doing much to this truck through the end of the year but watch out come income tax return time… lol

This truck is pretty rough but it is still a good foundation to build a “Shop Truck” on. I am going to keep this one pretty simple so I can get it back on the road the beginning of the Summer hopefully. It needs new steps replaced, lower passenger door is rusted, toe boards are already playing peek-a-boo with the ground, floor pans will be replaced blah, blah, blah… I can do all that once it’s drivable. Right now, I just want to get it back on the road and start enjoying it while making the necessary repairs.

First goal that I should be able to accomplish before the end of the year is to get the tire and wheel combo done. The previous owners had already moved the leaf rear springs inboard of the frame and hacked up the bed for the 295/50-15 tires that are on it now. I am cleaning up their hack job and making larger radius wheel wells to fit a much larger tire. I am going to try and stuff some 31” x 18.5” – 15” MT tires under her and run with a set of smoothy wheels with beauty rings and caps for now. Down the road I’ll replace the stock rear end & suspension with my Ford 9” and 4-Link, then put some fancy shoes on her.

AZ DESERT DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
AZ DESERT DOG

Re: AZ DESERT DOG Project - "Shop Truck"

Since somebody has already moved the rear leaf springs inboard on the frame, I’m going to try and stuff some 31” x 18.5” -15” Mickey Thompson Sportsman’s underneath it. I picked up a used pair on Criagslist for $50 with about 50 % tread remaining. I don’t plan on using them as daily tires once I get it running but for $50, they will work well for mock up and trial fitting the tires and wheels. As you can see from the pics below, it will be a tight fit. I have close to an inch on inside wheel lip and that is before I roll the edge. I have about another 1” before I hit the frame. With body flex and suspension roll it, will be very close. Initial trial fitting, it also appears that the stock rear wheel wheels will cover the tires.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
AZ DESERT DOG

The interior is pretty much stock right now and I will probably keep it that way for the most part. As you can see in the pictures the floor pans and toe boards will need some attention once I get her running.

One really KOOL item this truck has is the clock that is mounted on the dash. From the research I’ve done on the web, I am pretty sure that it was never an option from Chevy but it still looks pretty cool.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
AZ DESERT DOG

I bought the truck from a body shop owner and knew that both cab corners were needing replaced. So before I made an offer on the truck I called around and got a few estimates on replacing them then made a low offer on the truck knowing that I would have them do the repair before I brought her home.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #5
Kim57

Welcome.
From the pics it looks like a truck that is very fixable.
Nice to see another pro street being built.
Kim
Old 10-29-2012, 07:05 AM   #6
Rude Dude

There was a clock it was a dealer installed option very rare. I have one some where but looks a little different than yours. I have only seen a few mostly on fully loaded cameo with all the option installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ DESERT DOG View Post
The interior is pretty much stock right now and I will probably keep it that way for the most part. As you can see in the pictures the floor pans and toe boards will need some attention once I get her running.

One really KOOL item this truck has is the clock that is mounted on the dash. From the research I’ve done on the web, I am pretty sure that it was never an option from Chevy but it still looks pretty cool.

Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
JML55

I like the clock, never knew it was an option.
55 Belair
99 S10

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316140
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=806011
JML55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:41 AM   #8
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

So you are over here also huh? Cool I have two places to check your build out. This is Bam55 from the other site.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #9
AZ DESERT DOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
So you are over here also huh? Cool I have two places to check your build out. This is Bam55 from the other site.
Hey Bam...
Old 01-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #10
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Any updates? Inquiring minds want to know.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #11
_Ogre

i've never seen a clock in a task force truck
how many of those you think they installed?

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #12
OrrieG

I wonder if the dash profile is the same as any other GM autos and it might be an auto clock??
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:23 AM   #13
BC Toy chest

Very nice, look forward to seeing more pics as it comes along.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=432758
BC Toy chest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #14
Dinos63
chevy only

great start dig the big meats on the back
Old 01-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #15
Russell Ashley

I think that clock was probably off of a 51-52 Chevy car, but could have been offered as an option since it looks like it fits the contour of the TF dash. Here's a pic of a 51 car.
Attached Images

Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #16
Rude Dude

Tried to put my clock on my brothers 51 didnt work, it didnt follow the shape had gap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
I think that clock was probably off of a 51-52 Chevy car, but could have been offered as an option since it looks like it fits the contour of the TF dash. Here's a pic of a 51 car.
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:23 PM   #17
AZ DESERT DOG

Here's a few updates on my build, haven't spent much time in the garage since the holidays and with work lately, but hoping to change that starting this week...

While searching local Craigslist, I picked up (2) Turbo 350 cores for just $50 (the guy would not sell me just one). First transmission was a short shaft the other long shaft. I plan on getting the short shaft Turbo 350 rebuilt, the other Turbo 350 with the long shaft I am going to put back on CL as a core and try to make back a few dollars. For now though I tore down the transmission (which was all kind of fun for a first timer, thank goodness for YouTube... lol) so that I can use for mocking up my transmission mount. Much, much lighter now to move around... lol

Then the other night a buddy donated a 350 engine core thats been taking up room in his backyard for years. Earlier this AM, my son and I tore it down as well. Nothing special, just a mid 70's, 2-bolt main, smog head 350 but once again I just needed it for mocking up the engine mounts.

Below are just a few pics, coolest thing was spending a couple of hours walking my son through the tear down and explaining all of the V8 componets and how they all work together. My son has general engine knowledge from when we built and raced our Quads at the Dunes but this was his first V8 motor.

And as you guys will find out... I'm a Craigslist "Whore". I can always find some kind of deal for car & truck parts, motors etc... when I or a buddy is looking for something. Case in point was these (2) Turbo 350's and my Eninge Stand/Cart you guys see in the pictures, another CL pick up for $65!

Old 01-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #18
AZ DESERT DOG

Ok so far starters, my son and I removed the bench seat and factory gas tank & fill neck. Next I figured I needed to create a template so I took a large Post-it Note and put over the fill neck hole, I then took my shop light and backlit the opening and traced it. Then I transferred it to cardboard and trialed fit. As you can see, I still needed to clean up the pattern a little before I then transferred it to a piece of 18 gauge sheet metal that I picked up from a local metal shop.

Now this is where the fun began because as most of you know there is a slight curve to the fill neck area and I wanted to try and match it up as close as possible. So I used the anvil part of my bench vise and started to shape it. Man… this took a lot more time that I ever thought. Hammer, Hammer, Hammer… trial fit… over to the grinding wheel… Grind, Grind, Grind… then trial fit… Hammer, Hammer, Hammer… you guys get the idea.

The pictures below will show these steps and I think I’m pretty close, probably another :30 or so to really match the curve better before I start to weld it in place. From my research on the internet and talking to Bam55, I am going to spot weld it in several places then work small sections to complete the welding of my patch panel. This is done so that I don’t create too much heat in the metal and possibly warp it. I will then clean up the weld with my 4.5” grinder with a 36 grit and 120 Grit Flap Disc. Finally a little body filler and primer. I am hoping to have it welded in place before the weekend, that’s the plan anyways... lol

Old 01-13-2013, 10:28 PM   #19
AZ DESERT DOG

This is gonna make most of you laugh your ASS's off...

I picked this truck up off of Craigslist from an owner of a local Auto Body Shop that has many muscle cars projects going on and needed to sell it to finish other projects. In his CL add he simply stated big window Chevy p/u, no motor, transmission, body decent, some rust, stock suspension & brakes, good builder blah, blah, blah... When I called him and asked what has been modified to the truck he only said that the rear bed wheel wells have been cut out to allow for bigger tires and rear springs have been moved inboard the frame from previous owners over the years. When I looked at the truck it was just as he descibed with the mods to the bed and rear springs, rust in the cab corners etc... so I bought it.

Well I live near Phoenix, AZ and Baer Brakes is located here and I stopped by to check on front disc brake set up and they currently do not have anything for the '55 - '59 trucks with stock straight axle. But the salesman said that they have been talking about creating a kit for the older trucks. Kind of being a smart ass I said if you need a truck for R & D to create a kit mine is available and he said he would talk to their Engineers and let me know. I figured he has just being nice and never thought I would here from them. Well he called several days later and asked if I could bring in one of stock spindles so they can take a look at possibly making a kit for our trucks. Kool I thought but I needed to remove one of my spindles this week and get it over to them before they changed their mind. So tonight after dinner I went out to the garage to pull off one of my spindles and got a HUGE surprise. My truck already has an after market front disc brake set up!

I am pretty sure that if I were selling any car/truck, especially an old '55 big window short bed step side truck, I would list in my CL add - "After Market Disc Brake" set up on front! And when asked by potential buyers if there are any mods to the truck and I would tell them - YES!

So to make this story even longer, I Have attached a few pics of my after market disc brake set up. It looks a little rough but a good afternoon worth of work and detailing and these things will look brand new. They have alot of surface rust on the caliper bracket, caliper and rotor but should be easily cleaned up.

Lesson for today kids... when buying any car/truck from someone, make sure you check the vehicle out from top to bottom personally and don't take their word for it, especially if you buy from someone who you think is knowledgable about their vehicle they are selling... lol

I am pretty sure that the owner of the Body Shop that I bought the truck from had NO CLUE this truck had after market front disc brake set up.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #20
AZ DESERT DOG

I picked up a tubular engine and transmssion cross memebers with polyurthane mounts right after Christmas and started collecting engine parts for my rebuild. I am building a mild Tri-Power stroked 348 "W" Motor backed by a Turbo 350. Two weeks ago I picked up the top end of a 348" motor for cheap off of Craigslist so now I am in need of a block and crank. I am still searching for a 409" motor to build up but they are kinda scarce and most people are very proud of them if they are for sale, I'll just be patient until I find one.

Started to also do a little bodyman 101 repair on the rear inner bed wheel wells, these things look like someone took a ballpean hammer to them. I figured since I've never done ANY bodywork before, they would be good place to learn "Hammer Off Dolly" and Hammer On Dolly" techniques... gotta love YouTube... lol