The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2022, 01:34 AM   #1
Soundmound

New in the NW

My '84 Scottsdale I rescued from Oregon on gotcha day. Picked this gem up last year after getting nostalgic for the '86 Silverado my dad let me drive to high school on occasion and seeing the SB Syndicate trucks.
Did my research and settled on an 81-86 2wd short. Might have cashed in my karma when I found this one. The frame appears to be mostly shiny black front to back under the dust. There was even an original set of GM spare keys taped up under it. The patina is barely getting started and it shines like near new. Mostly just light chips and stuff and I'm struggling to find evidence that it isn't original paint. Based on what I have garnered from the RPO codes it appears bone stock including the rub molding, possibly bolstering my original paint theory.
Attached Images

Soundmound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 06:31 AM   #2
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: New in the NW

Welcome to the truck board from central Iowa and beautiful short bed you have! That is a great find. You literally don't need to do much to that baby!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 08:24 AM   #3
The Rocknrod

Nice truck Soundmound, welcome to the forum.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 11:47 AM   #4
LT7A

Welcome neighbor. I really like that truck. Doesn't look patina'ed from here, looks like you have it shining nicely.

Last edited by LT7A; 03-04-2022 at 01:13 PM.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 02:46 PM   #5
MySons68C20

Welcome Soundmound, you have a fine squarebody there.
Congrats on finding such a clean unmolested truck!
MySons68C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 05:07 PM   #6
Soundmound

MySons68C20 you are near spittin distance away. We should plan a cruise to the Hot Rod Cafe in Monitor when I get the carb rebuilt this spring. Hell, even if you just need a hand with tinkering we’re close enough to figure out how we could help each other.
Old 03-04-2022, 07:40 PM   #7
MySons68C20

All good let me know!
Blake
MySons68C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 06:32 PM   #8
Soundmound

I must report that today my hopes were dashed. I have found clear evidence it has been painted, albeit by a very, very good painter. Was hanging in the garage daydreaming of mods as one does and leaning on the bed my hand brushed a wire under the bed lip. Instantly I knew it was welding wire from the bulbous end. Grabbed a flashlight and got to snooping real deep and under the bed rail I see where they patched the holes from original bedrails. Closer inspection of the passenger jamb revealed a ridge of clear from a tape edge. Now again, this guy was real good and it has molding and the wear characteristics of being a vintage job. So, all in all I'm not mad just disappointed. Either way she looks good for her age and no one would hesitate to give her a second look at the light.
Old 03-12-2022, 12:35 PM   #9
cab4word67

Yes welcome, enjoy that clean new find. Hope we see more of it

Chris
cab4word67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 04:58 AM   #10
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundmound View Post
MySons68C20 you are near spittin distance away. We should plan a cruise to the Hot Rod Cafe in Monitor when I get the carb rebuilt this spring. Hell, even if you just need a hand with tinkering we’re close enough to figure out how we could help each other.
And just like that, the 206er gets summarily ignored, haha.
Old 03-16-2022, 05:01 AM   #11
LT7A

Quote:
I must report that today my hopes were dashed. I have found clear evidence it has been painted, albeit by a very, very good painter. Was hanging in the garage daydreaming of mods as one does and leaning on the bed my hand brushed a wire under the bed lip. Instantly I knew it was welding wire from the bulbous end. Grabbed a flashlight and got to snooping real deep and under the bed rail I see where they patched the holes from original bedrails. Closer inspection of the passenger jamb revealed a ridge of clear from a tape edge. Now again, this guy was real good and it has molding and the wear characteristics of being a vintage job. So, all in all I'm not mad just disappointed. Either way she looks good for her age and no one would hesitate to give her a second look at the light.
I wouldn't sweat it man. I had a similar truck that the more I looked it over, the more stuff I found that was surprisingly original. And then in the right light, I could see where somebody had tried to touch up the paint on the fender and gotten the color off just a little bit. Truthfully, it was a bit of a relief. Now I won't feel bad misting some paint onto the areas that are thin and doing some minor touch ups.

Last edited by LT7A; 03-17-2022 at 01:19 AM.
Old 03-16-2022, 09:24 AM   #12
Soundmound

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
I wouldn't sweat it man. I had a similar truck that the more I looked it over, the more stuff I found that was surprisingly original. And then in the right light, I could see you where somebody had tried to touch up the paint on the fender and gotten the color off just a little bit. Truthfully, it was a bit of a relief. Now I won't feel bad misting some paint onto the areas that are thin and doing some minor touch ups.
Truth be told I am also relieved. I was so torn over being the guy who takes a "survivor" and modifies it, but now I know she's seen some things I don't feel anywhere near as bad. Yesterday I found the thinnest little bondo area on the bottom of the front edge of the driver fender behind the bumper. Also, while P'Blasting the bed bolts preparing for removal, I found one of the longer ones was replaced with a hardware store carriage bolt and is about 1/3 the normal size. Digging into the frame rail to get that nut off should be fun....
Old 03-16-2022, 09:39 AM   #13
Soundmound

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
And just like that, the 206er gets summarily ignored, haha.
Not at all! I just doubt anyone would want to cross the mountain to get greasy and go home That said, I am strongly toying with the idea of starting a truck show in Leavenworth. I wonder how many would make the trek for that?
Old 03-16-2022, 12:38 PM   #14
Timothy E
Account Suspended

Nice truck Soundmound
Timothy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 01:27 AM   #15
LT7A

Quote:
Not at all! I just doubt anyone would want to cross the mountain to get greasy and go home That said, I am strongly toying with the idea of starting a truck show in Leavenworth. I wonder how many would make the trek for that?
Okay, you got me there, haha. Not impossible to head over to help out, but I could definitely see doing a day long drive to go to the hot rod cafe. And a truck show in Leavenworth sure would be cool. It's likely you could get the three of us who are talking on here to gather and hang out impromptu, and then gauge the interest from there for something more organized.