The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2011, 12:16 AM   #1
1968robinsegg

Question c20 suspension recap?

hello everybody another newbie here, found this site the other day and have been reading ever since! awesome site-so much information its unbelieveable and everyone seems so happy to help! its very appreciated!!

my question is this- i just got a 1968 c20 with rear leafs, 8 lug, manual steering and brakes.

from what i gather and excuse me if this incorrect- the front suspension from a 73-87 1/2 ton chev or gmc truck/van will bolt in place to get 5 lug bolt pattern,front disc power brakes? also i can use the booster and master and the p/s parts?

the rear diff will be wider by about a inch and a half and will need new perches welded on with a 2 or 3 degree down pinion angle?

last ?? i was thinking of using the 5" lowering leafs from early classics, has anyone used these? good or bad??

thanks for the help!!!
1968robinsegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:00 AM   #2
SCOTI

Re: c20 suspension recap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968robinsegg View Post
my question is this- i just got a 1968 c20 with rear leafs, 8 lug, manual steering and brakes.

from what i gather and excuse me if this incorrect- the front suspension from a 73-87 1/2 ton chev or gmc truck/van will bolt in place to get 5 lug bolt pattern,front disc power brakes? also i can use the booster and master and the p/s parts?
Correct.

Quote:
the rear diff will be wider by about a inch and a half and will need new perches welded on with a 2 or 3 degree down pinion angle?
1/2 tons? Yes. 8-lug 3/4 tons might be the same width.

Quote:
last ?? i was thinking of using the 5" lowering leafs from early classics, has anyone used these? good or bad??

thanks for the help!!!
Just about everything from their catalog is a quality part. But for 5-6" of drop, flipping the rear to the top of some stock 1/2 ton springs might work just as well.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:11 AM   #3
1968robinsegg

thanks for the reply good point about the axle flip i guess that slipped my mind. my hope is to get a donor truck and get all my parts in one bunch, hopefully will be a winter spent in my garage!!

if i did the axle flip--if i weld the perches parallel to the original ones i'm thinking my i wont have enough pinion angle?(probably be around 0 deg.) or would it stay the same?

Last edited by 1968robinsegg; 10-14-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:26 AM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968robinsegg View Post
thanks for the reply good point about the axle flip i guess that slipped my mind. my hope is to get a donor truck and get all my parts in one bunch, hopefully will be a winter spent in my garage!!

if i did the axle flip--if i weld the perches parallel to the original ones i'm thinking my i wont have enough pinion angle?(probably be around 0 deg.) or would it stay the same?
If you have to weld the perches, might as well set the pinion as close to ideal as possible. Shims can adjust more after that if needed.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:27 AM   #5
1968robinsegg

sorry everybody i see now going farther back this has been talked to DEATH!!!
thanks for the help and patience though!!
Old 10-14-2011, 03:55 AM   #6
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Welcome to the board!
There are quite a few subjects that get "talked to death".
But that's why we are here.

Keep us posted on your project,... and remember,... we like pictures!
Ha.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote