The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #1
CHEVY_BOI93

wheres the hidden vin?? Help?

so i am going to buy a 1970 chevy c10 swb. And i noticed it doesnt have any vin ID tags on it. guy who is selling it says the title goes with the truck. but im not buying it. I was just wondering if anybody could tell me where the hidden vin is on the frame or cab on the 67-72 c10 trucks,

All input is welcome
CHEVY_BOI93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:20 PM   #2
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Re: wheres the hidden vin?? Help?

VIN tag is in the driver side door pillar. The glove box door also has a sticker on the inside that has the VIN and the options. The will also be stamped on the top in the driver side frame rail in the engine compartment.

Good luck!
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:22 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

the one on the metal plate on the cab side of the drivers door jamb under the striker is the ONLY one that LEGALLY identifies the truck.
Without that, you have an illegal truck
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:58 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
VIN tag is in the driver side door pillar. The glove box door also has a sticker on the inside that has the VIN and the options. The will also be stamped on the top in the driver side frame rail in the engine compartment.

Good luck!

I'll add that there is also one on top of the driver side frame rail under the cab...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:01 AM   #5
Jenkins Classics

Partial vin on the drivers side upper frame rail,right at the gearbox area.You might have to do some scraping to see but if he has a title these numbers on the drivers frame rail will match the last 8 or 9 numbers on the vin number stated on the title.If you are looking for a opinion I would not mess with a vehicle with a vin tag,it will give you problems down the road.
Jenkins Classics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:05 AM   #6
Jenkins Classics

Excuse me I ment I would not mess with one without a vin tag
Old 07-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
CHEVY_BOI93

i appreciate all the help guys. but i didnt find anything. i found some number under the cab on the frame rail but they dont match the vin. and i checked my dads 70 c10 and it also has numbers but they dont match either....maybe im not looking for it correctly. if someone could post a picture of where your truck has it or maybe seen it. i would really like that. i cant pass up a truck like that
Old 07-04-2011, 01:19 PM   #8
Jenkins Classics

You mean that the numbers under the cab do not match the vin# on the title that he is producing,correct?
Old 07-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #9
Jenkins Classics

If I could I would take pics. of my vin#locations on my frame today for you,but my frame is being sandblasted 42 miles from me at this point.Hate to see you get into something that might not be right.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #10
bruceman1968

Chevy, There is more than one set of numbers on your frame. If you found the numbers on the side of the frame they won't match anything. If you find the numbers on the top of the frame they will partially match the vin.

But I see a big red flag here. If the cab has NO vin plate then DON'T buy that truck. As said in post #3 it won't be legal. If you don't have a vin plate on the cab, then you don't have a truck (Except for parts) The vin plate is on the drivers side rear pillar under the striker.
Name:  P1130204.jpg
Views: 58664
Size:  39.5 KB
Old 07-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #11
bruceman1968

There are two places for a frame partial VIN number on the frame. One place is on top of the frame under the cab. This one is hard to see with the cab on.
The same number will also be on top of the frame in the engine compartment. It is much easier to find and see. Driver side top of frame across from the front of the engine block. Here is a pic of mine. My PS pump is what you see at the top of the pic.
Name:  P1130461.jpg
Views: 61861
Size:  38.8 KB
Old 07-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #12
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

on a 70... there would only be one plate in that location... but without it, you have a parts truck
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:52 PM   #13
Shane
Account Suspended

you also can't see the VIN stamp on the frame rail under the cab without removing the cab. it is on the top surface of the frame rail, not the side.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:24 AM   #14
CHEVY_BOI93

wow thanks bruceman1968!!! you were a very big help. i found them. turns out you couldnt see them cause it was painted over. it was scratched off and bam! the numbers match

and yeah i know if it doesnt have the cab plate its not legal. but the glove box and door have stickers. and ill live with that. i was just concerned with the chasiss i appreciate all the help guys.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #15
Shane
Account Suspended

in alabama, without the door tag you won't be able to get it registered which means no license plate, regardless of the frame markings ... just a thought
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:21 PM   #16
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I have heard that having the frame numbers matching the title, is sufficient here in Arkansas. I already have the title to my truck, but am going to be using a '68 cab. Yeah, the numbers don't match my title, but my frame does. I'll be taking the tag off of my '69 cab, just for tickles and grins. I have a bill of sale for my replacement cab, but I'd rather have the numbers to match across the board.

I'm gonna get a pair of the rosette rivets and I know they are not cheap, but that's what I'll do.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #17
SmokeShadows

I have a 68 gmc longbed and I'm having difficulty with finding the Vin stamped on the frame, when did they start stamping on the frame and did gmc's receive these markings also? And can anybody post a picture of approximately where the one under the cab should be.? Thanks :-) oh and if there's no stamp on the frame near the steering box will there be one under the cab?
Posted via Mobile Device
SmokeShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #18
tlcrz1972

Don't remove the vin plate off of any cab for any reason, if the cab came with the tag that is the identifier that is isn't stolen. In Texas I had to take a truck with a different cab to DMV theft division to have it verified and paper work done to denote this change in Austin. Now the truck is totally legal even though the cab vin plate DOESN't match the frame rail numbers. I just had to have proof of purchase VIA a sales receipt from the salvage yard for the cab. Plus the title for the frame, And proof of purchase of other parts that went into the truck.

Again DO NOT REMOVE THE VIN TAG OFF OF THE ORIGINAL CAB AND PUT ON THE REPLACEMENT CAB. Call your DMV and ask questions before you do the dumb mistake I did before I learned the correct way.
tlcrz1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:41 PM   #19
chewychevy67

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeShadows View Post
I have a 68 gmc longbed and I'm having difficulty with finding the Vin stamped on the frame, when did they start stamping on the frame and did gmc's receive these markings also? And can anybody post a picture of approximately where the one under the cab should be.? Thanks :-) oh and if there's no stamp on the frame near the steering box will there be one under the cab?
Posted via Mobile Device
I have a 67 GMC that doesn't have any frame #'s stamped either. Had it blasted and powdered and no visible #'s. I think some early gmc's were like that.
chewychevy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #20
Tinkermc

be very carefull about buying a truck or a pile of parts.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #21
SmokeShadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewychevy67 View Post
I have a 67 GMC that doesn't have any frame #'s stamped either. Had it blasted and powdered and no visible #'s. I think some early gmc's were like that.
I look all over for a Vin, and nothing, there are numbers on the side of the frame but not on top, I spent a good while scraping off dirt and crud off the frame and looking for one with a mirror and flashlight but found nothing, anybody able to decipher the numbers?
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #22
SS Tim

Restarting on another thread is not going to automatically make your truck with its rust, butchered vin plate and a lot of title/paperwork/fees problems better. If you have more questions you should just keep them on your first directly relevant thread.

If there isn't a number stamped by the steering box it is not likley to be under the cab and early GMC trucks are less likely the Chevy to have them. If it is there it will only be a partial with the last eight digits. The number stamped into the sides of the rails are frame part numbers and of no real help to you.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=585978
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #23
SmokeShadows

Dude Tim you need to calm your tone, I'm trying to learn more about these trucks not troll over the forum, it's unnecessary to nag like that, all you should say is that the frame numbers are part numbers and be a nice guy and give information about said frame numbers instead of your remarks about my truck
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-27-2013, 12:18 AM   #24
Spartan

Resurrected threads drive me nuts. Don't know why...perhaps they confuse me.
It sounds to me like you looked and didn't find any. With the tag at the jamb or pillar missing...you will have issues.
I registered my truck but they didn't need to see the truck, then again my DMV knows me and that I do good in my community.

Call the DMV, or read their site. If I remember you were only thinking of buying, but from info here it seems you bought. No tag no luck is the rule for most DMVs. Tim gave you good info the first time. Iirc. Perhaps the info you are looking for or hope to hear isn't to be found?

Or maybe you are trying to find a work around for no vin?
I don't know but I think the best answer will be at your local DMV
2 cents
Posted via Mobile Device

"orange rhymes with door hinge"
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:35 AM   #25
67c10rustbuket

No VIN plate = no truck. It is illegal to not have a VIN plate PERMANENTLY attached to the body. Partial VINs on the frame are just that "7A12345" year, plant, assembly sequence. No model info there is not a complete VIN other than the plate and glovebox. Some states will issue a new vin but the red tape and loss of value kind of kill that for a classic/ collector vehicle. Best bet is to contact your local DMV and highway patrol and ask.
Posted via Mobile Device

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote