The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-25-2018, 05:55 PM   #1
Mike_The_Grad

Help with 292 rebuild.

Hello to all,
I am currently in the process of rebuilding a 292 inline 6 for my dads 64 LWB C10. I have the engine basically back together(rotating assembly, cylinder head, oil pan,etc...)

The part I'm kinda stuck on is the intake/exhaust manifold. No, it is not an integral head type( the casting number i have is 331184)

My dad wants to run a dual single-barrel intake and a header for dual exhaust. Everywhere I look online or in the catalogs only seem to designate the multi-carb intakes as being for 235-261 inline 6 engines. Now I have read on here amongst other places that the intake mounting and bolt pattern is interchangeable between the i6's except the integral heads.
If this is indeed true, then any intake designated as being for any chevy inline 6(besides integral type) should bolt right up to the cylinder head I have installed right now, correct?

Yes i am aware that the intake needs a heating element of some sort to help prevent fuel from condensating to the intake runners, and having a header requires something to ensure this. I already have something in mind and is a non issue.

Depending on the answer is what dictates if I just run the stock single barrel setup in the meantime to find an actual "292 dual carb intake" if that is required. If any of the offy or Clifford intakes will work then I go ahead and wait to get one before I spend the time to clean up my stock intake.

The reason behind the part of me being stuck is my dad. He wants to drive his truck, but he doesnt want the issue of not having the dual intake to keep the project from moving forward. Which I get. But we dont have a decent stock exhaust manifold to run in the meantime either. The one I have came off the 250 we pulled out of the truck. And its cracked in more than a couple of places, also the heat riser valve needs to be replaced and the thermocoil. I'm advocating to spend the money and get the dual carb and header setup and run that. Rather than run the stock setup with a bad exhaust manifold only to later pull it all apart just to install what he really wants.

So, if I can run any of these dual intake setups I can work on that. But if I need a specific 292 dual carb intake, I'd like to know who and where I can get one so I can go that route. Thanks in advance for your time. Here are some pics of the engine and truck so far
Attached Images

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 10:34 PM   #2
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Re: Help with 292 rebuild.

In the past, I used Offy dual single bbl carb intake and 4 bbl intakes. I believe the dual single is an Offenhauser part number: 5415. For the exhaust, I would go with Langdon's manifolds.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:05 AM   #3
Mike_The_Grad

Hey Vin63,
Thanks for the input. I've been looking at various exhaust manifolds and headers. It's a toss up between the black ceramic coated headman header and the ones that Langdon offers

Old 12-26-2018, 12:59 PM   #4
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Here is my buddy's 292 with an Offy single 4 bbl intake and Langdon's exhaust manifolds...
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2018, 05:19 AM   #5
Mike_The_Grad

Awesome.
So is it safe to assume that what I stated regarding the various inline 6 engines is true? Most any of the intakes or exhausts will bolt up to the cylinder head on the 292 i am currently building?

Old 12-27-2018, 09:41 AM   #6
maydaymike

You need one for the later style 6. 194,230,250,292 are the same. 216,235,261 is the older pre 1963 engine.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Offen...ifold,813.html
maydaymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:03 AM   #7
geezer#99

Hey Mike!
Does your dad want the looks of multi carbs or the hoped for extra power?
If it’s just for the look it’s not hard to create a tri-power intake set up.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:03 PM   #8
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Yes, for the 194 through 292 L6. I found it at Speedway: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Offen...AaApvwEALw_wcB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_The_Grad View Post
Awesome.
So is it safe to assume that what I stated regarding the various inline 6 engines is true? Most any of the intakes or exhausts will bolt up to the cylinder head on the 292 i am currently building?
Old 12-27-2018, 02:16 PM   #9
The Rocknrod

Offy 5416 is a single 4 barrel.
I often wonder if those Aussie Speed products fit our six's. They have some cool products we don't have over here.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:02 PM   #10
GMDad

Mike if you pulled a 230/250 engine out of the truck and are replacing it with a 292 you will need different motor mounts and chassis brackets. The passenger side is different as the distributor is in a different position than the 250. Langdon's exhaust manifolds work really nice. Have had them on my truck for a year with a single 4bbl Offenhauser intake.
GMDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 02:37 PM   #11
Mike_The_Grad

Thank you all for the input. I always feel a little "warmer" response from the inline guys.

Geezer,
I think my dad just wants the dual carb setup for the "cool" factor. Plus I have 2 carbs, but just recently found out that they are different era's so it would be easier to find another of the correct year carb I have. Which isnt to hard or expensive.

Maydaymike,
Thank you! That's the kind of info I'm looking for. I knew there had to be a simpler way of identifying which blocks were common to each other.

Gmdad,
Yes, I know about this. We found a 292 with transmission pulled out of a 63 c10 on craigslist. Kind of good and bad. Good because the guy who owned it literally removed only what was keeping the engine and trans in the truck. So we got the mounts, adapters, brackets, and everything else that goes to the 292. And we know it to be the correct parts because the engine had literally never been messed with. It still had the factory pistons and main bearings in it. The bad was the guy who pulled it out wasnt the brightest. He took a sawzall to the header exhaust tubes about 5 inches from the flange. He also took his sawzall to the floor mount stick shifter. just a couple of bolts and a press and turn of the shifter retaining collar and both could have been salvaged. Also, the block had about a 4" crack down side of the block below the intake/exhaust. So the block was junk. But we found another 292 from the guy who my dad bought the truck from so I actually have the bolts,mounts, intake, carb, water pumps, from 2-292 engines. So we have a complete 250, 2-complete four speed with granny low transmissions, and 1 good 292.

Old 12-30-2018, 02:55 PM   #12
geezer#99

For the ‘cool’ factor not hard to make a fake tri-power. A sheet of aluminum, some carbs and linkage and no one knows the difference.
I knew a guy that made a fake set up for his 283. You had to look at it real close to see what it actually was.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:51 PM   #13
Mike_The_Grad

That is pretty cool. But I want to challenge myself to make this happen. Looks like next month after taxes will be the time to find out. I'm also c-notching the frame and rewiring the truck with an American autowire kit. Should be a pretty nice truck when I'm done with it.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:47 AM   #14
Heater63

I’m running Offy intake/ Edelbrock 4bbl carb, and Langdon split cast headers. HIGHLY recommend. I fabled a bellcrank throttle linkage. Be sure and use HEI, (Langdon mini HEI is what I use). And the American Autowire kit is great (Classic Upgrade for me).
A lot of info is at Langdon, and Tom at 12bolt, and Inliners, and Santucci’s book.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:56 PM   #15
Mike_The_Grad

I have the large cap Hei. And we'll see how it looks. If it's to distracting then I get the smaller cap hei and mount the coil on the inner fender. I'm glad you brought up the mini cap as I'll make sure to leave myself some room with the coil leads. I have about 4 hours into the classic update series kit on the truck and its pretty much half way done. I mean there's only about 15 wires that my dad is gonna use in the whole truck. But it's nice to have the options in case of future upgrades. I'm still trying to talk him into disc brakes and power steering at minimum. But he is set in his ways. Although he does plan on giving the truck to my nephew in the future(hes 11 now.) So I think he would appreciate the safety and convenience of those two upgrades.