The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2019, 09:23 PM   #1
_ABC_

Anyone swap newer front/rear axle/brakes into 1970 C10?

Hello, I am looking to possibly upgrade my brakes/suspension on my 1970 Chevrolet C10 LWB, which I am also going to be shortening to a SWB. I was wondering if anyone has swapped a newer rear axle (full setup with brakes) into a 67-70 truck. I have seen some people from the forums use 1971/2 parts to get disc brakes, but I would like to use something newer (preferably from the the 90s GmT400 series as that is what is most abundant and cheapest where I live, and the newer the better). I would like to have disc brakes in the front and drums in the rear. My truck currently has drums in the front (2wd) and drums in the rear (trailing arms with coils) and I would like to keep the trailing arms, I just want newer brakes really.

Should I keep the original brakes and just replace the internal parts and brake lines? Or do a mix of both newer used and original parts?

The rest of the plans are as follows (over the next year):
2004-2006 5.3l truck engine from junkyard along with trans and ecu
shorten frame and bed to swb length
And replace rusted cab rockers, corners, floor supports (floor itself it pretty fine except for in the back corners)
***This truck is meant to be a weekend/trip to the lake cruiser***

Any info would help, thanks!
_ABC_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:47 AM   #2
Overdriven

Re: Anyone swap newer front/rear axle/brakes into 1970 C10?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
The above link is a guide for “bolt in” drum to disk using factory parts. 73-87 parts including the front crossmember bolt in. Anything newer is not a bolt in affair, requiring re-engineering and major fabrication. Think custom suspension arms or grafting in the entire front suspension.

As for the rear axle. It can be done, just buy the trailing arm axle pads and weld them to the axle of your choice. But what are you gaining? The used axle will be unknown condition and likely need brakes rebuilt, just like your current axle probably does. You said you’d like to stay drum in the rear so why change out the axle?

Brake lines. I say they’re 50 years old and should be replaced entirely. Brake fluid is hydroscopic meaning it absorbs moisture and can rot the lines from the inside out and they’re your brakes after all. But if you’re really confident in the hard lines keep em and replace all the hoses at the very least.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:35 AM   #3
_ABC_

Thanks for the reply! That link is perfect for what I need. I should probably change out all the old brake lines and as for the rear axle, you are right. I probably would be better off keeping the old one and just replacing the brakes. Thanks!
_ABC_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:03 AM   #4
michael bustamante

if youre wanting to go 5 lug in the rear though, look into axles made aftermarket just for these housings that are 5 lug. I believe cpp has them as well as early classic industries.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:51 PM   #5
mcampbell

My heart's "in service life" shortened up while I drove 70 drum brakes for a few years. When a light changed red in front of me there was panic until I learned if I stiffen my whole body and brace for impact with the car ahead it stops just before their bumper.

On my 70 I found a 72 suspension on Craigslist and used A arms, spindles and all. The only way to tell it's not stock is the brake hard line is not routed same as 72. Early Classics told me what fittings to buy and adapt 72 discs to 70 hard lines. While switching brakes it got a full rebuild and added a sway bar. Rides great, turns nice, and stops without panic.

I rebuilt a 72 2wd Blazer and when torn apart the A-arms wouldn't go full travel. Early Classic's front end rebuild kit cost more than anyone else's but it came with the dog bones that I couldn't find with other kits. I drove the Blazer for years after rebuild and worried at first the 4/6 drop might be too low for Utah roads but the ride was outstanding.

There's a mid 80's rear end in the garage waiting. I cut off the leaf spring perches, got it rebuilt with posi, put on a disc kit (likely mistake), and bought (Early Classic commercial here) trailing arm perches to weld on once I decide on drop and can set pinion angle. All because I couldn't find a 5 lug trailing arm rearend in local junkyards.
mcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:14 PM   #6
michael bustamante

yup... 5 lugger trailing arm rear ends are only found on 71-72 chevy trucks im afraid.