The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
Agent915

Swaybar question.

I just received a swaybar that I purchased on-line from a salvage yard. Its for my 69 C10 SWB chassis. When I first contacted the yard it was because they had one available for a 1 ton truck. I believe it was a 1 1/4". I bought it. The guy from the yard calls me later that afternoon and tells me there is a problem with the swaybar. I asked if he priced it wrong? He said "No, my guy cut it getting it off." I was like.....what!? Anyway, he had one from a half ton so I bought it instead and it arrived today. Now my question is this. Should I use the swaybar from the half ton or wait and find a heavier one? Is there that much NOTICABLE difference in the handling between the two?

Thanks!
Agent915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
DesertCat

Re: Swaybar question.

To what degree you could tell the difference depends on many variables. That said, some swaybar is waaaaaay better than no swaybar.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
Agent915

Thanks for the reply! I have completely rebuilt the frontend with poly bushings and a MgGuaghy's drop/disc kit, so everything is new with the exception of the a-arms. The only thing I didn't have was the swaybar. I measured the one I got today and its a 1 1/16th, the one I wanted was 1 1/4 inch. I hate that moron cut it, I mean its not like the sawsall slipped and cut it in half! I just thought the larger diameter bar might make it handle better. I'm not building a pro-touring slot racer, just a solid BBC/TH400 combo for fun on the weekend. A guy here told me to go with the 1 1/16th one because the other one from the 3/4 or 1 ton would be too stiff and would have a negative effect on the ride quality. He said it would be too harsh to enjoy.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent915 View Post
A guy here told me to go with the 1 1/16th one because the other one from the 3/4 or 1 ton would be too stiff and would have a negative effect on the ride quality. He said it would be too harsh to enjoy.
I love it when people offer advice that do not have a clue as to what they are talking about. Tell your buddy to get his facts straight before he offers any more assistance.

I have a 1 1/4" bar from a C20 on my 77 Cheyenne thats bagged. It made a very big improvement in the handling and body roll. It did NOT make my ride stiff or harsh in any way.

The 1 1/16" should work just fine, but the bigger bar would be better.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
I love it when people offer advice that do not have a clue as to what they are talking about. Tell your buddy to get his facts straight before he offers any more assistance.

I have a 1 1/4" bar from a C20 on my 77 Cheyenne thats bagged. It made a very big improvement in the handling and body roll. It did NOT make my ride stiff or harsh in any way.

The 1 1/16" should work just fine, but the bigger bar would be better.
Exactly.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #6
Agent915

Thanks guys!

I'm going ahead with the one I have but I'll keep my eyes open for a 1 1/4" bar. The yard told me they would refund the cost of the swaybar if I decided I didn't want it, but it would be cheaper just to keep and use it than to pay shipping to return it. When I do find a 1 1/4" I'll swap them out and who knows, there may be a board member who would be interested in the 1 1/16" bar.

Thanks again!!

One more thing. Should I use the ECE mounts or just bolt the bushings straight to the frame? I've seen several done both ways. I have a 4.5" drop with roughly 28" front tire.

Last edited by Agent915; 03-20-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Thanks guys!

I'm going ahead with the one I have but I'll keep my eyes open for a 1 1/4" bar. The yard told me they would refund the cost of the swaybar if I decided I didn't want it, but it would be cheaper just to keep and use it than to pay shipping to return it. When I do find a 1 1/4" I'll swap them out and who knows, there may be a board member who would be interested in the 1 1/16" bar.

Thanks again!!

One more thing. Should I use the ECE mounts or just bolt the bushings straight to the frame? I've seen several done both ways. I have a 4.5" drop with roughly 28" front tire.
Do you already have the ECE mounts? If not, try installing the bar w/o them & see if things go together easily.

My drops are typically 5-6 in the front so I just bolt the bushings directly to the frame (spindles + spring or bag drop). I planned to do the same w/my dually but I dropped it a little differently (spindles + notched x-member) & the bar seemed to be in bind (under compression sitting in the shop) so I utilized the frame stands.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:49 PM   #8
Agent915

No I haven't bought them yet. Will the swaybar be just as effective if I bolt it straight to the frame?
Old 03-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #9
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
No I haven't bought them yet. Will the swaybar be just as effective if I bolt it straight to the frame?
yes.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:32 AM   #10
andrewmp6

I have never seen where going up in sway bar size had any problems handling or ride.I think he was thinking about springs if you run a real stiff springs it will ride rougher.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:33 PM   #11
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
I have never seen where going up in sway bar size had any problems handling or ride.I think he was thinking about springs if you run a real stiff springs it will ride rougher.
It can. A sway bar's function takes away some of the "independence" of an independent suspension, so it can make rough roads worse. Big potholes and bumps that would only have an effect on one wheel transfer to both. The bigger the bar, the more it acts on the whole truck.
On good pavement, no, you will never notice a ride stiffness change.
It can be over-done on either end, balance is the key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote