The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 60-66 Suburbans

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-06-2015, 04:53 AM   #1
argonaut

Accessing Inside of Rear Quarters

How do I get access to the space between the inner and outer rear quarter sheet metal? Do the rear inner wheel wells come out? I haven't tried taking anything apart yet but I don't see any obvious method of access on the suburban.

1972 K5 Blazer CST, Turquoise
1966 K20 Short Fleet Pickup, Big Ugly
1964 C10 Short Fleet, Gertrude

2001 Porsche 911 Carrera
1996 Ford Bronco XLT
1980 Jeep Wagoneer

2008 Honda CBR1000RR
2005 Honda RC51
1981 Honda CB750C

No dis-assemble Johnny Five! No dis-assemble!
argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:38 AM   #2
65chevysub

Re: Accessing Inside of Rear Quarters

I access mine through the 6x9 speaker holes in the rear panels, or the hard way to do it, is to remove the side windows and get to them through the opening below the glass. I have thinking of using the expanding foam in the panels to use as a sound deadener. Good Luck
65chevysub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:40 AM   #3
rossboss

Removing the tail light and using a flashlight will give you a pretty good look inside but as far as accessing it, that's a different story.
rossboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:17 PM   #4
argonaut

My concern is about built up dirt, crud, moisture at the bottom of those rear quarter panels. I know that this stuff likes to collect in the bottom of the front fenders, doors and rockers so thought it might have also snuck behind these rear panels and be rotting things away from the inside. Maybe I just have to bore access holes though the bottom of the inner panels in front and behind the rear wheel?

2001 Porsche 911 Carrera
1996 Ford Bronco XLT
1980 Jeep Wagoneer

2008 Honda CBR1000RR
2005 Honda RC51
1981 Honda CB750C

Old 01-07-2015, 02:03 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

This is what I would do. The buildup of dirt and such between the inner and outer can and will lead to rust through

Quote:
Originally Posted by argonaut View Post
My concern is about built up dirt, crud, moisture at the bottom of those rear quarter panels. I know that this stuff likes to collect in the bottom of the front fenders, doors and rockers so thought it might have also snuck behind these rear panels and be rotting things away from the inside. Maybe I just have to bore access holes though the bottom of the inner panels in front and behind the rear wheel?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:51 AM   #6
gostranger
65 suburban vortec 5.3 bagged

I would drill holes on the inside bottom of the quarter under the floor and use undercoating plugs after you cleanout or spray some sort of rust stopper in there that will help a lot!!
gostranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:20 PM   #7
60-66

Argonaut , I had the same concern and issue on my 66 Panel. I just removed the taillight assembly and pressure washed all the dirt out of the inside quarters . Little tough reaching the front but water eventually came out clean. Had to do this to the doors in front also. I do this to many of my trucks and it helps preserve them. I usually like to put some type of oil then inside to stop the rust . Where I live these vehicle seem to never stop rusting so drying them out is a must.
WANTED :1964-1966 PANEL TRUCK
60-66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:33 PM   #8
65chevysub

There are 2 n the rear quarter behind the wheel, on each side that should be able to drain any water out of it. They look like half moons. I'd take pictures, but I can't get anything to upload to the site.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:34 PM   #9
65chevysub

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65chevysub View Post
There are 2 drain holes in the rear quarter behind the wheel, on each side that should be able to drain any water out of it. They look like half moons. I'd take pictures, but I can't get anything to upload to the site.
This was supposed to say 2 drain holes. My laptop doesn't like to put all the letters in sometimes
Old 01-07-2015, 07:47 PM   #10
padresag

there are right in the rear corner; there are like a square section which brings the corner together. they need drain holes as I have taken a few apart; there appears to be none.
looking at the picture is is rounded on one corner where it follows the curve at the corner.

ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:50 PM   #11
argonaut

Thanks guys! I think I'll go ahead and remove the taillights first, as suggested and try to see what I'm dealing with. Then I'll probably try a power washer first. My sub isn't too terribly rusted but it does have some. if pressure washing doesn't work I'll be forced to neatly cut some additional holes.

2001 Porsche 911 Carrera
1996 Ford Bronco XLT
1980 Jeep Wagoneer

2008 Honda CBR1000RR
2005 Honda RC51
1981 Honda CB750C

Old 01-16-2015, 11:55 AM   #12
hemifalcon

You'll be well served removing the tail light assemblies and getting a good light to illuminate the inner cavity between the inner wall and quarter panel. There WILL be plenty of dirt and debris inside there--
Also--there are drain holes in the bottom of the quarters/rockers from front to rear which will assuredly be clogged with dirt/rust/junk (mice). I cleared mine out having a long nozzle air gun extended through the tail light mount area to agitate and loose all the dust/dirt. I also used the compressed air to loosen up the dirt directly through the drain holes.. Have a skinny screw driver or metal rod (clothing hanger) to reach in and loosen up the junk. There are also plastic plugs behind the rear bumper at the very rear of the quarter panel that you'll want to remove to gain access as well--
You'll most certainly be making a mess during this process and will want to have a well-ventilated space (outside) to make said mess. Depending on how bad rust or the spot weld surfaces are secured tight or loosely fitting--more junk can be inside there.
I personally would not want to use the pressure washer as you're only introducing more moisture to initiate the corrosion process.
have fun!

And it's story of being 'saved'
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=631495
hemifalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:22 PM   #13
argonaut

I did have a look through the taillight cavities last weekend. Some dirt buildup in the area rear of the wheelwell but not too bad. I couldn't see the area in front of the wheel well. How can I get at that area?? I see no way to do it.

Seems they should have made the rear wheel wells removeable, which would provide nice and easy access to maintaining and cleaning this space.

2001 Porsche 911 Carrera
1996 Ford Bronco XLT
1980 Jeep Wagoneer

2008 Honda CBR1000RR
2005 Honda RC51
1981 Honda CB750C

Old 01-16-2015, 01:50 PM   #14
Ratpin

My drivers side rear quarters are really easy to get to the inside since they have rusted open on the outside. On the passenger side I used air while banging on the inside of the panel with a mallet. If you have some spare brake line laying around you can make nice custom shaped air wands that can be attached to a vacula style air gun with a piece of rubber fuel hose. These come in really handy when cleaning out rockers and hard to access areas on old cars.

I just ordered the patch panels for mu burbs quarters from banana this week. I'll take some pictures while I repair them.

The areas pictured above are worse on my burb than those in the picture. This looks like a pretty difficult area to repair while still on the truck. I may just cut out the bottoms. I really see no reason they need to be closed off. Since it will just collect cap again.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:33 PM   #15
3 On Da Tree

See if you can rent or find a plumber who has one of these camera's.

Then you can see way down inside the cavity
Attached Images

3 On Da Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 02:22 PM   #16
notsolo

I made a long wand extension for my air hose and stuck it and a vacuum hose in thru tail lite hole and back up lite hole, cleaned the majority of crap out.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote