The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
DBear

SPID Axle Question

hey guys....on my 71 K10 burb, my SPID has no Axle ratio info on it, and I was looking tonite at the front axle, and there is a tag on the pumpkin cover, which say 3.07. I then looked through a 1971 chevy truck options book, and it shows for the engine, trans combo that 3.07 was standard for that vehicle. I am just a little taken back because this whole time I just figured it had 3.73's. My question is this: if it came originally with 3.73's, would it be on the SPID???
DBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:33 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: SPID Axle Question

Tommy,

Usually if they came with the standard axle ratios there wouldn't be anything on the SPID. If they had anything other than standard it would be listed. My '69 C10 burb came with a 327 engine, th400 trans and a 3.07 rear. I can tell you this, the 3.07 is too tall of gear for the 700r4. It will make the trans overheat on the road. I have to drive mine in 3rd gear with the 2004r OD transmission, I can't use the OD. I will be installing the 3.73 Posi I have the first thing next spring.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 12-30-2012 at 12:44 AM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:27 AM   #3
DBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Tommy,

Usually if they came with the standard axle ratios there wouldn't be anything on the SPID. If they had anything other than standard it would be listed. My '69 C10 burb came with a 327 engine, th400 trans and a 3.07 rear. I can tell you this, the 3.07 is too tall of gear for the 700r4. It will make the trans overheat on the road. I have to drive mine in 3rd gear with the 2004r OD transmission, I can't use the OD. I will be installing the 3.73 Posi I have the first thing next spring.

LockDoc
Hey Leon.....that is what I was afraid of. Would u happen to remember what gears that are in that suburban frame I got from you? Thanks and hope ur family had a great Christmas!
Posted via Mobile Device
DBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:05 AM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBear View Post
Hey Leon.....that is what I was afraid of. Would u happen to remember what gears that are in that suburban frame I got from you? Thanks and hope ur family had a great Christmas!
Posted via Mobile Device

I never did know what the ratios were on that. If I remember right I couldn't find a code on it.

We had a great Christmas here. Hope you did too, and I hope Santa was good to you...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote