The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2020, 12:34 AM   #1
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

People that do nice things for you

I moved out the minute I turned 18. I had no plan. I had a lousy job at a gas station that didn't pay well and a beat up truck. but I loaded it up and left.

Not exactly the smartest thing to do. But I couldn't stand it at home anymore.

So. I was broke. I made just enough to pay for the room I rented and my bills. There wasn't a whole lot left over after that. I would go hungry. My parents were mad at me and there was no way that they were going to help me out. So I scraped by on what little I had.

The gas station that I worked at was right next to a hot dog/burger place. I could smell the food. I was starving and I had no money.

So. I took two bucks out of the register and bought hot dogs.

I felt terrible about it and the next day I went and confessed to the owner what I had done. And waited to get fired.

But she didn't fire me. She hugged me and said not to worry about it. That she knew what it was like to be down on your luck. She was a very nice woman.

I learned a lot from that. And I've always tried to be like her. I've always tried to show compassion towards the people that worked for me. Everybody screws up. I certainly have. What's the old saying "People in glass house's shouldn't throw stones" or something like that.

She was just very nice to me when I really needed it. And I did pay her back when I got some money. I am not a thief. I was just starving at the time and it was only 2 bucks. She didn't even want the money back but I insisted as a matter of principle.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:35 AM   #2
Keith Seymore

Re: People that do nice things for you

Very nice.

I am always astounded when people are so nice to me and my family.

Free stays in a condo in Myrtle Beach; paid for trips out west, concerts, that kind of thing.

I imagine my wife's connections (and demeanor) have a lot more to do with it than me

We try to do something similar. We have a small apartment attached to the back barn and we rent it out at a very reduced rate to folks who are in a tight spot or transitioning between life situations. We've had a couple small families and a few individuals stay while they make preparations to move up.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 06-04-2020 at 12:43 PM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:49 AM   #3
The Rocknrod

Cool story Fleetside, ya I was a taskmaster when I was in the Nav but when someone was in trouble or having a hard time in life I'd take them along side and mentor them. I did it because someone did that to me when I was a young guy starting out in the Nav. People don't know how to be human unless they see it action personally in someone else. It's like children they sponge up literally everything they see.
In fact I have people still contacting me saying what good help I was to them. You always wonder when your doing it if someone will learn or benefit later in life, but it does make a difference.
Again great story.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:08 PM   #4
davischevy

I have worked for myself since I was 18. I grew up in construction, so that is what I knew. My dad did his best to get me to do something else, but I liked construction. I started out painting and roofing houses, then went to work with my dad when I was 20, but, uh oh, that is a whole 'nother story.

When I was 27 our oldest daughter was born with a problem with her right leg. She became a patient of Shriners Hospital (Great People) in St Louis. She had to have surgery and stay in the hospital for 6 weeks after for therapy.

Somebody put an article in the paper about it and unsolicited donations started coming in. We ended up getting enough money that we could afford to stay with our daughter the whole time in St Louis.

The Shriners Hospitals and those donations kept us from going broke. You can bet that The Shriners are at the top of our philanthropic list every year, and we seek out people with kids with health needs to help where we can.

Oh, and my daughter. She's fine. She has a Masters Degree and two kids.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:32 PM   #5
mongocanfly
Post Whore

A great story other Larry...never heard a bad thing about shriners..
and the others are great stories also
As far as someone going out of their way to help others my parents come to mind...they are constantly helping someone

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 12:04 AM   #6
flashed

I have been a landlord for 27 years , the last seven I had wonderful tenants , almost always on time with rent . Young couple , his first child , a son , he had no rights to as they were not married and she split with the little boy at 1 yr old . He was a stay at home Dad that first year and was heartbroken when she took his son . This was 7 years ago , he called me in tears . I went to see what was going on and he told me he had to move out as he could not afford the rent on his own . I told him no , he could not leave as his son had to have a home to come home to . I hired a lawyer whom got him his rights to his son , joint custody a year later . My wife and I were in their area and rode by in my wifes Malibu Convertible as we always did in case they needed anything . We were passing by when he hollered for me to stop , I backed up and pulled in the driveway . I stepped out of the car and his little boy came running and jumped into my arms crying and said to me , Papa John , Im home . I melted hugging that little rascal , both of us crying , I had no idea that was the day he got 1/2 custody of him . He is now married to a wonderful young lady with a little girl too . Kinda my Grandkids now . I just last year sold them that house for $48,000 , about a third of its value as I wanted those kids to always have a home , I financed the last $8000 interest free and they just paid it off . Im so proud of those kids , love them as my own .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 12:10 AM   #7
Chevyland

That’s awesome, flashed
Chevyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 12:22 AM   #8
Gotenntitans

I have always tried to do for others. My mother always did and I saw her many many times doing good things without expecting anything in return. My sweet mother had a brain aneurysm on May 22 and underwent two surgeries, but to our sadness will not be able to recover. Her tired body is still lingering and she's coming home under hospice care. We have all come to terms with this and have told her that it's OK for her to go. Until she does, it'll be time for her to have some of the good things she always did bestowed upon her.

I will continue doing for others as she would want me to do, and I'll think of her while doing it. Thanks for this thread. It should prove to be a good one.
2003 Chevy Silverado
Gotenntitans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:25 AM   #9
4u2nv

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
I have been a landlord for 27 years , the last seven I had wonderful tenants , almost always on time with rent . Young couple , his first child , a son , he had no rights to as they were not married and she split with the little boy at 1 yr old . He was a stay at home Dad that first year and was heartbroken when she took his son . This was 7 years ago , he called me in tears . I went to see what was going on and he told me he had to move out as he could not afford the rent on his own . I told him no , he could not leave as his son had to have a home to come home to . I hired a lawyer whom got him his rights to his son , joint custody a year later . My wife and I were in their area and rode by in my wifes Malibu Convertible as we always did in case they needed anything . We were passing by when he hollered for me to stop , I backed up and pulled in the driveway . I stepped out of the car and his little boy came running and jumped into my arms crying and said to me , Papa John , Im home . I melted hugging that little rascal , both of us crying , I had no idea that was the day he got 1/2 custody of him . He is now married to a wonderful young lady with a little girl too . Kinda my Grandkids now . I just last year sold them that house for $48,000 , about a third of its value as I wanted those kids to always have a home , I financed the last $8000 interest free and they just paid it off . Im so proud of those kids , love them as my own .
Your a good man.
4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:11 AM   #10
Rich84

Nice thread.. It's getting harder and harder to find positive things to read nowadays. Sometimes you just have to stop and remind yourself that everybody doesn't suck.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 12:29 PM   #11
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

I love "pick me up" threads. Keep em coming .

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 03:34 PM   #12
SCOTI

Dammit guys..... Now I 'gotta go get a tissue.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:49 PM   #13
weq92f

That gas station owner and people like her are the real heroes in our society. We need to hear more of their stories.

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:39 PM   #14
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I have a light duty one. We were shoveling dirt, bricks and concrete into a dumpster yesterday. I started out alone while my one son was getting up from bed to help. I shoveled maybe 10 cubic feet and my back was giving me grief already. I leaned on the dumpster to stretch it out. Later, a guy came by and said, "It looks like you could use some help!". I was going in the door to the house to get some Naproxen to knock the pain down, so my son talked to him. That guy came back later and helped load the dumpster for about half an hour! He had seen the crippled old man (me) leaning on the dumpster with 3 cubic yards left to shovel up! Then he had a call from home that the plumber was there to repair a leak he had in his plumbing. He left, and when he came back we were basically done, since my other son came out and did some shoveling, too. I used to be able to stuff like this all day long. Those days are gone, unfortunately forever. Two hours, it was done, and so was I. I fell asleep on the couch and got yelled at by my wife because she couldn't hear whatever she was watching on the TV.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:46 PM   #15
67C10Step

I can’t count the people that have helped me through my life. I’d have to sit and think really hard knowing, regretfully, I would omit someone.
However, I will tell you that while I was in college I worked weekends on a retired colonel’s farm outside Fayetteville. We worked around Mr. Robinson’s farm but mostly travelled around NW Arkansas tearing down old barns and houses to recover the wood. I can tell you the money he paid me paled in comparison to the example and advice he gave me.
Flash forward a few years and my wife and I had been married about two years. Found out her nephew was essentially abandoned at home by his mother (my sister in law). He was 12 and we went and got him and moved him in with us. We got together on the white river one weekend with the guy I worked for and his family and brought the nephew. When Mr. Robinson told me we were doing a good thing it made me proud.
The nephew is 37 now and still contacts me on Father’s Day.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:46 AM   #16
Sheepdip

Thumbs up Re: People that do nice things for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10Step View Post
I can’t count the people that have helped me through my life. I’d have to sit and think really hard knowing, regretfully, I would omit someone.
However, I will tell you that while I was in college I worked weekends on a retired colonel’s farm outside Fayetteville. We worked around Mr. Robinson’s farm but mostly travelled around NW Arkansas tearing down old barns and houses to recover the wood. I can tell you the money he paid me paled in comparison to the example and advice he gave me.
Flash forward a few years and my wife and I had been married about two years. Found out her nephew was essentially abandoned at home by his mother (my sister in law). He was 12 and we went and got him and moved him in with us. We got together on the white river one weekend with the guy I worked for and his family and brought the nephew. When Mr. Robinson told me we were doing a good thing it made me proud.
The nephew is 37 now and still contacts me on Father’s Day.
You set an example for that young man and the world observing you and the wife just as Mr. Robinson did for you.....as they say "Pay it Forward"
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:13 AM   #17
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: People that do nice things for you

Mine is nothing like most of yours but still worth sharing.

A few weeks ago a young man & his girlfriend pulled up in front of the beach house on Sunday and asked if I knew of a place to put air in their tire. I said pull around back and I can pump it up since I knew nothing was open on Sunday.

They pulled around back and as soon as I looked at the tire I saw a nail. I told them if he would go over to Walmart and get the plugging kit I plug the tire for them. They had another vehicle across from us at the beach house they where renting.
They came back and I had found another nail so it needed 2 plugs. I plugged it and told them they needed to get a tire as soon as possible. They tried to pay me but I wouldn't except it. I told them I would want someone to help my son are daughter if they needed help.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 01:37 PM   #18
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Andy that does not surprise me a bit with you. You and yours are good people. Doing good things comes natural.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:54 PM   #19
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
I told them I would want someone to help my son are daughter if they needed help.
That's it right there. You never know who will need help when. Put yourself in their shoes and it's hard not to help.

I got my chance at buying that Doeskin Tan '85 diesel Jimmy I had by stopping to help someone with their hood up on the side of the road.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:07 AM   #20
A1971Blazer

great stories...
my philosophy...
I try to help others as much as I can...I believe that someday I will need help
and if I don't help others now...I cannot expect them to help me then
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:22 AM   #21
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10Step View Post
Same here. I'll try to focus in on something special, but it's such a large pool to choose from.

When I was a teen working on his own car, I had two older mechanics that really helped me out. Two different shops. I could stop by and ask any question and they'd explain what I needed to learn no problem. I never brought my car in and they never collected a dime from me. If my car needed work I was afraid was over my head, I would try to arrange bringing it in. No way, they wouldn't have it. "Bring it over and fix it on the lot. If you get stuck I'll walk you through". I gained knowledge and confidence from those guys. Also learned how to treat younger people with my knowledge.

One time I had an axle u-joint that just would not break loose from the yoke. I had already experienced a broken stub shaft from a u-joint going out while in 4wd. George asked why I wanted him to do it and I told him I was afraid I'd break the yoke. He said, "What's the difference if I break it? Either way you'll need another yoke". The help went way beyond learning mechanics.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 10:12 PM   #22
72 tigger

Great stories on this thread. Saw this one and thought it fit
Attached Images

Kirk

Last edited by 72 tigger; 06-22-2020 at 06:09 AM.
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 10:19 PM   #23
flashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 tigger View Post
Great stories on this thread. Saw this one and thought it fit
That is a really cool story .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 09:05 AM   #24
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 tigger View Post
great stories on this thread. Saw this one and thought it fit
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
that is a really cool story .
x2

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 11:19 AM   #25
72c20customcamper

Dont know if it's being nice or just my nature to screw with people but sometimes I pay the toll for the car behind me. All day their probably racking their brain trying to figure out who I am to them
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote