The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2014, 11:05 AM   #126
no1udknow

Re: Where/How did you find your Truck ?

My dad had a 72 2wd long bed from the time I was 2, till about 25. I always wanted one, but never had the money for a descent one. My friend John offered me a deal on a 58 for $1000. It was clean with little rust, and the only thing really missing was the engine. My dad and I pooled some money to buy it as a father-son project back in November of last year. He passed away in April and I decided that the 58 wasn't really my dream truck, and I would try to find a 67-72. I was at a wedding for a another friend, and I was sitting at a table with my friend John and our other friend Will. Will told me that he really wanted to buy the 58 from John but that I had beat him to it. I told him I was looking to sell it because I really wanted a 67-72 like my dad had back in the day. He told me he had a running, registered 68 at his house, with a 67 parts truck for body parts, and he would trade me straight across for the 58, and the 86 2wd chassis and engine I was going to put it on. I was stoked. He wanted to put the 58 on an 86 4x4 chassis and only really needed the engine and wire harness from my 86 parts truck, so I was able to steal all the disc brake and front suspension/cross member from the 2wd chassis.

My build : 68 C10 Short Bed Conversion
no1udknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:06 PM   #127
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1udknow View Post
My dad had a 72 2wd long bed from the time I was 2, till about 25. I always wanted one, but never had the money for a descent one. .....snip..... I was able to steal all the disc brake and front suspension/cross member from the 2wd chassis.

Nice story. Made me do some body work...Hahahahaha!!!
Left the hard stuff (real stuff) for you.

But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:54 PM   #128
jtinpdx

Found it on the side of the road while out for a bike ride with my girlfriend. Bought it same day.

-Jeff
Attached Images

jtinpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:07 PM   #129
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

From 1983 - '87 I had a 67 swb stepside that I really liked. It was a fun project at the time, but was never a daily driver. I had replaced the I-6 with a 455 olds/400 turbo combo. I divorced in '87 so it went away along with other toys in the "Grand Purge". I never stopped missing it. Fast forward 10 years to 1997. I was really wanting another one, and began my search. I put out feelers, and had a few friends on the lookout for me. After looking for about six months, a buddy of mine in Southern Cal pointed me to this one. Sitting for 9 years, and partially disassembled, I bought it for $500. It's been my daily driver since early 1998.

How I bought it.

In '98

Currently
Old 10-31-2014, 03:20 PM   #130
sierragrande71

Nice truck looks very similar to my old '69 that I had, still miss that truck wish I didn't get rid of it.
sierragrande71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:44 PM   #131
no1udknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwakeenercew2jh View Post
Nice story. Made me do some body work...Hahahahaha!!!
Left the hard stuff (real stuff) for you.
Yah, but here it is now... a short bed with disc brakes.... getting close

Last edited by no1udknow; 10-31-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:55 PM   #132
magwakeenercew2jh

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1udknow View Post
Yah, but here it is now... a short bed with disc brakes.... getting close
Nice. And one for guys like me....

Couldn't help myself.
Attached Images

But always a rat.

Last edited by magwakeenercew2jh; 10-31-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:34 PM   #133
kjdolphins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtinpdx View Post
Found it on the side of the road while out for a bike ride with my girlfriend. Bought it same day.

-Jeff
You found that on the side of the road?! One lucky guy!
78 Z/28 Camaro - "Rocky"
89 Camaro RS 305 TBI DD - "Betsy"
kjdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:07 PM   #134
no1udknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwakeenercew2jh View Post
Nice. And one for guys like me....

Couldn't help myself.
Actially this is my future paint scheme.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:09 PM   #135
no1udknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwkns View Post
From 1983 - '87 I had a 67 swb stepside that I really liked. It was a fun project at the time, but was never a daily driver. I had replaced the I-6 with a 455 olds/400 turbo combo. I divorced in '87 so it went away along with other toys in the "Grand Purge". I never stopped missing it. Fast forward 10 years to 1997. I was really wanting another one, and began my search. I put out feelers, and had a few friends on the lookout for me. After looking for about six months, a buddy of mine in Southern Cal pointed me to this one. Sitting for 9 years, and partially disassembled, I bought it for $500. It's been my daily driver since early 1998.

How I bought it.

In '98

Currently
Thats a pretty truck man, nice job.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:57 AM   #136
jtinpdx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjdolphins View Post
You found that on the side of the road?! One lucky guy!
I know. Couldn't have asked for more. Straight as arrow. Clean interior. Original paint. Runs and drives great. I got really lucky.
jtinpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:22 PM   #137
wesmigletz

I found mine on CL while I was in Afghanistan and had it shipped to my house in Tacoma. It fired right up a few months later when I got home, and my son and I drove it that day.

As purchased

First Drive

Last day in the Army, on my way back to CA... Rockers, cab corners, and replacement roof courtesy of Livrat.
1964 Malibu SS
1957 Corvette
Pics
www.picturetrail.com/wesmigletz
wesmigletz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 02:37 AM   #138
no1udknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesmigletz View Post
I found mine on CL while I was in Afghanistan and had it shipped to my house in Tacoma. It fired right up a few months later when I got home, and my son and I drove it that day.
Thank you for your service!
Old 11-02-2014, 05:42 AM   #139
pointbreak

Found the 68 c10 on kijiji when my wife and I were on a road trip with our niece. I paid 800 bucks for her in Kimberley BC and drover her 1400 kms home. She burnt 15 quarts of oil. But made it. She doesn't burn oil anymore but I dunno if she will ever be done haha. I have my eye on an 83 diesel half ton also on kijiji I'll let yas know how that turns out
Attached Images

pointbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:04 AM   #140
R.L.

From a friend of mine from back home, he has a mechanic shop junk yard. He would scour N. Louisiana in search of old cars and trucks. I had just sold a 56 and for something different I thought I'd do something a little more modern.
Attached Images

R.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 12:34 PM   #141
midniteblues

I was out in the sticks throwing my old cbr through some turns tryin too get myself lost when i come down a road and saw a bunch of old 20's30's vehicles that were turned into "equipment".
up around the turn was the house and there was a 64 lwb entombed in the weeds alongside a garage.
I figured wth stop an ask about it.

a very old guy came out and started tellin me all about the old truck and how he much loved it all those years. and at the end of his storie he said i would rather see it sit and rot than sell it.

now one would think that on my behalf "we've all heard that storie".
but on his behalf i could hear/feel the passion he had for the old girl so i left it go.

so not giving up we solwly walked around i could tell he was really enjoying that somebody was intrested in hearing all about the old stuff he had laying around.
we rounded a few trees and out in the back field i spotted a swb 67 between a few makeshift sheds built with truck caps for roofs.

so i asked if it was for sale(tryin not too sound too intrested)

he said "well that one isnt mine" then started tellin me about it.
"that belongs to a young fellow that spent alot of money on a rebuilt engine and it grenaded the first hour of running".
discoraged he pushed it out here and there it sat for 6 yrs.

without me sayin anything he said i'll get you his phone # so you can ask him yourself.

deal was struck for $500 and a time was set up too do the transfer.
i thanked the old guy and told him we'll be back next weekend too pick it up after the paperwork was done.

I got home that day an said too the kid I found your first car.
he really wasnt excited about a "truck" he wanted a nova.

on the way too get the title transfered i ran into a accident in a construction zone and was held up for almost an hour.

lucky me the fellow heard of the accident an figured i was held up and he waited.
the place even stayed open waiting for me.
deal done.
headed back too the truck too show the kid and there was the old guy with a trailer waiting for us.he said where you want me too take it?....I said home please.

he was happy too help.

20 min ride home.

I worked on the truck for 3-4 yrs and when it was road worthy i sold it too the kid for $1 he drove it pretty much for a year or two.

I revisted the old fellow a few times afterwards and he allway was happy too talk or show me something. he showed me a awesome 36 chevy truck he had stored in a garage. I offerd him 9k for it and he said you know about the "64".

missed him one whole summer and in that fall i took the kids 67 up too show him and EVERYTHING WAS GONE.
r.i.p ray

i heard that the church auctioned off the 36.

if anyone would see the kids 67 today you would know he's still not excited about it.

my 67 easy find on cl. posted at 5:57 am i called at 6:15 and by 10:00 am i was driving it home i drove it around the rest of the summer.
now it a slow project.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:59 PM   #142
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Cool stories. My '70 Longhorn acquisition is bittersweet. My father in law bought it in '73 as the second owner, just as you see it in my avatar, except when he had it repainted, the lower section got painted orange where it should be white. I will address that at some point, because I like that White/Hugger Orange/White color scheme. My wife and I got it after he passed away. Bitter, but sweet, because it cost me nothing. I never would have figured on getting that truck. I wasn't really interested, but we've been married 33 years, so that truck has been used by us occasionally over the years, camping or pulling a trailer loaded with wood for an addition I built on my house many years ago. Gotta love that 400 grunt. Funny part- my wife went to college in downtown LA driving that truck back in the '70s! 100 pound girl driving that Longhorn with a camper shell, threading through traffic, what a picture. I'm going to replace the camper shell. I'm thinking I'll have to build it, because this style can't be purchased new anymore. I'd rather toss that shell and make it a real truck, but little miss 100 pounds ain't going for it.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:29 AM   #143
magwakeenercew2jh

Mine's really a story about a couple of good buddies and a great wife that put up with me over the last approximate fifteen years. Now, they
all put up with me for way more years than that......especially the Boss (Irene), who's stood and either hammered me or supported me, as the
case needed, since we married in 1972.

Brothers Mike and Jack have been around longer that that, too. But they all have had to hear my whimpering around the truck thing since I
built the first '72 short bed. In fact, all three of us were building trucks...Mike was driving his...at the same time back in 2002.

Shorten the story. I built that purple '72 with the help of both of them and particularly with the sweat of Mike's son, a healthy dose of ECE for
parts and info, and Forum Members. It made it into a smaller feature in March, 2004 Classic Truck Magazine (I think that was the name of the mag).

Then, I got a wild hair to sell it. Don't know why. Stupid. But the local guy who bought it for half of what I had in it was happy. I still see that
purple truck and the "new" owner around town. I'm happy for him.

Fast Forward: Mike calls me while The Boss and I were on a four-door run in Northern California back in 2008. "Want the two cabs and suspension,
etc.?" "You know, the '68 with the extra '71 cab and front clip? " "Linda asked me if I was ever gonna finish it."

"Ill call you back", I said. Turned to The Boss....."You are retiring". "You might as well get it." "It'll keep you outta my hair."

"I don't know." "I had so much dough in that other one." "I need air conditioning again if I'm ever gonna put together a driver."

I called Vintage Air and dropped $1,300 before I even called Mike back. And the journey was on.

Mike, Jack and Irene (with her no b.s. sense of humor), have been there every step of the way. So have so many Forum Members Tom, C-10 King,
Kevin, Reno Keene and so, so many more. Now, those of us close to home are all enjoying RAT.

Here's a little story board (That's me with the bass, Mike with the strap, and Jack in the chair in the shop...The Boss has the pizza. And the finger):

If you want, click "slideshow" in the upper right of the page.

http://magwa.smugmug.com/The-Truck-Story/i-ksvJQ5z

It's more than a truck.
Thanks to everyone.
Attached Images

But always a rat.

Last edited by magwakeenercew2jh; 11-03-2014 at 12:38 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:48 PM   #144
justin_nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwkns View Post

How I bought it.

In '98

Currently

Awesome looking truck! What size are those steelies? 15x8? And what is the backspacing on them if you remember. I love how they look and Im in the market for some steelies.
justin_nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:15 PM   #145
slow-1

Some time around the early 70's I noticed that my Grandfather had a green truck instead of the old car he used to have (a 67 Impala I have learned from family photo's). When I would spend summers with my Grandparents, I would sit right next to my Grandfather as he drove, watching him shift the three on the tree, turning on and off the windshield wipers for him when it rained, listening to "The Entertainer" on the radio.

We would go to the beach (a 4 hour ride), my brother and I in the back sitting on pieces of carpet under the camper cover, stopping along the side of the road and eating beenie weenies and saltine crackers if it got to be noon before we got there.

When I turned 16 in the early 80's, my Dad bought Ole Green from my Grandfather for a small sum and I have been driving him ever since.
Original 350 (3 rebuilds)
700R4 from Bowtie Overdrives

slow-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:27 PM   #146
Tropical Snowstorm
Lurky lurky

Found my latest one on Craigslist. I always try to keep an eye out for stuff and this one was listed for several weeks at a pretty high price. It was pulled and I figured it was sold. A month or so later it popped back up at a great price, the pics were terrible and I figured it was a waste of time but it was close by and I'm a sucker for these trucks. I met the guy and it was too good of a deal to pass up, I called my poor wife and gave her the news... Driven it to work trouble free a few times and have been pretty happy so far.
Tropical Snowstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:11 PM   #147
SCHRUMGMC

Anymore stories out there?
Old 12-10-2014, 07:10 PM   #148
Blue/72

I was up at my grandmas when I was about 4 years old and that was the first time I rode in my truck. At that time it was in eastern oregon. After many trips to her home for things like holidays and such I finally convinced my dad to Purchase it from her and brought it back home where she now lives. Then in 2013 I was sitting in my science class and saw a 1972 Chyenne just on the other side of the road. The guy wanted 2500$ for the truck and I only wanted to give him 800$. After going back to his house 1 or 2 times a month for 3 months he finally gave in! Sweet! I really only wanted the deep dish rally wheels off the trick and planned to part out the truck, but after the guy actually started the truck and I drove it home after it sitting for 5 or more years and less rust than I expected I haut spawned wheels and tired with my truck and sold it whole for 1900$ that summer! The. About a year later I was looking at a 69 c20 in a car lot. After talking to the owner about how my little brother was looking for a mustang he told me that I should drive to the original business owners home because he was a serious car collecter and he thought he had a mustang for sale. After taking the short drive to his house he informed us that he did not have a mustang but he looked over and saw my truck and asked if I wanted to see his car collection. Of course I did!! So he took us out to the shop and when we walked in my jaw dropped. Cuada, beliars, chevy truck (not 67-72), superbirds and the list goes on. He did have a mustang but it was a super clean kr500 convertible all original and the thing looked new. After an hour of gawking at the cars he told me that he had another truck, not super clean or rare out back. We walked out and on the back side of the barn growing in the blackberry a was a 1972 c10 with a 67 clip. The truck was restored 10 years ago but on the drive home from the shop the truck ran out of gas so it was parked and left. No rust, new jegs 350 crate motor, new interior and lowered. Now the truck was super dirty and fairly ratty but clean. He said it was his sons truck. He had a brain tumor and passed away last year. After a few hours of talking we struck a deal on the truck. 1350$!! We came back the next day and loaded it up on the trailer. Now the truck has a 3/5 drop, deep dish rally's and a returned interior. Oh and it is my 14 year old brothers truck.!ive gotten really lucky with the trucks I have purchased so far. It is the best feeling in the world to find one of our trucks out in a field and then be able to get them back on the road, running and driving again!!
•1972 Cheyenne Super. Sold
Blue/72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:16 PM   #149
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Time for a bump !!!

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 05:16 PM   #150
coopdog

My grandfather bought it new in 72, parked it, 20 years later me and my dad decided to retore it.
Attached Images

coopdog is offline   Reply With Quote