The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2015, 02:34 PM   #1
HEADTURNINGC10

CORVETTE HUD conversion/ swap

alright, i know im not the only one here thats thought or wanted to install a corvette style heads up display in their truck. I'm trying to find more info about doing it. I'm not worried about the minor notifications coolant temp, oil pressure unless i can find a place to mount the switch for the display. Just like the speed and rpms, mainly. The rpms i cant imagine being to hard just the normal tach wires to distributor, power and ground. although the mph will be tricky with a digital read vs the standard cable the trucks are equiped with. im trying to find a HUD from corvette and just rewire it.
Any more with more insite it would help alot, Thanks.

1969 c10 short bed step side {under the knife}
HEADTURNINGC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:29 PM   #2
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: CORVETTE HUD conversion/ swap

You got me to looking on the net and I didn't find much info except for the Iphone stuff. The corvrtte stuff can be bought out of wrecked cars I guess but how would you mount the mirror and the dash part to work in the truck cab?
If you find any more info please share. I did down load a I phone app to play with though.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:04 PM   #3
Advanced Design

Re: CORVETTE HUD conversion/ swap

Also, double check on the windshield glass. I remember GM HUD applications have a non parallel windshield glass to eliminate a fuzzy display. The angle of the windshield to the projector will probably have some influence on display quality too.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:41 AM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: CORVETTE HUD conversion/ swap

I used the I phone app this morning coming to work. Although it was a free one it has the reflective part and it was nice seeing my speed on the windshield. I'll try and see how it works today going home in the day light and try and get some pictures of it tonight after it gets dark again. For free it's OK. Would like to find one that did speed and RPM's both but I'm sure I will have to pay for that and have it hooked up to the computer in the truck.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:12 PM   #5
HEADTURNINGC10

I was unaware of an iphone app that projected on the windshield. I'll have to look into that, although my phone seems to die and run out of data to fast for that.
To install the corvette HUD, I was going to cut the top of the dash and adjust the angle of it to look right on window. Also for the visblity of the display put a strip of tint on the bottom section of the glass.
Its very common for people to install HUD on their c5's that didnt com factory with it. plenty of write ups about all the needed steps and parts But cant find anywhere about someone using for other cars. They install the switch, a new dash and a small wiring harness that all seems so it is plug and play.
I'm ok with splicing the wires. Im still searching for an aftermarket one thats maybe a little more simple
Old 07-22-2015, 12:33 PM   #6
HEADTURNINGC10

I have found some for obd 2 cars which are cheaper than grabbing some from used corvettes... They will be cheaper and hopefully easier to trick into displaying my rpm and speed. I know i will also need a digital speedomter read out for the transmission to make it possible.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:31 PM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: CORVETTE HUD conversion/ swap

I've got the OB2 all ready and the GPS speedo from www.speedhut.com

I've installed a 6.0 LS motor with 4l80e transmission in mine so all I need is a good aftermarket HUD kit.
Reading the corvette stuff I found the main part could be fitted under the dash a cut a slot out of the top of the dash are even use the original speaker opening maybe.
I do like the simple phone app though but a hard mounted one would be very cool indeed!
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 07-23-2015, 06:27 PM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

Lightbulb Re: CORVETTE HUD conversion/ swap

Some more food for thought, well if you have a ECU in your truck.

I bought a Scan Gauge 2 for my LS swap and it has all the info the ECU has and it's hooked up all the time to the ECU through the data port. I wonder if we could get scan Gauge to make a new head unit that would project the reading up on the windshield. It turns on/off with the key switch and it has any gauge you want to show.

http://www.scangauge.com/

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 07-23-2015, 06:35 PM   #9
Andy4639
Old member

I sent them a request for anything they knew of for this idea. I will see what they send me.
Dang it man you got my wheels turning!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 07-23-2015, 10:05 PM   #10
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

lot's of Grand Prixs out there with HUDs. They're cheap up here for parts. My 97 had one.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 05:49 AM   #11
D13

GM HUD's are tuned for windshield shape and specific geometry of the vehicle. The midlayer of the windsheild is a wedge tuned to the particular HUD and vehicle combo. Unless you find a vehicle with curvature very close to yours in the viewing area, and can set the HUD to the exact angle and distance as original, you will have focus issues, ie fuzzy and / or distorted. Without the wedge you wil likely see double image and ghosting.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:00 AM   #12
Andy4639
Old member

From what I have found so far the windshield plays very little in the aftermarket side of it. For a GM product maybe but on the Corvette forums that I have read so far they say it not that bad not to worry about it.

I don't think a HUD out of a GM product are any other vehicle would fit any place under the dash to make it worth the trouble to modify the dash.
I'm hoping Scangauge will send me something back.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 07-24-2015, 10:57 AM   #13
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: CORVETTE HUD conversion/ swap

Since I have the OB2 connection in the truck, Tahoe, s-10, and treverse I may go with this setup. Just move it back and forth to the vehicle I'm going to be driving!
I also found the double pin connector to.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBD2-HD-HUD-...d4aa4a&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBD2-OBDII-1...396147&vxp=mtr

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 07-26-2015, 08:41 AM   #14
HEADTURNINGC10

Andy you have the jump on me with the obd2 and LS haha im still running behind on technology.
I wasnt aware the grand prix's had them. i might be making a trip to my local pick and pull and checking prices.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:45 AM   #15
HEADTURNINGC10

were the pontiac's only mph displayed?
Old 07-26-2015, 02:54 PM   #16
Andy4639
Old member

Been messing with my I phone apps and at night this one works pretty good. Day time is another story though. I like the effect and it does seem to keep your eyes on the road at night. The pictures are not the best in the world but you can see how it works. The numbers are very clear looking out the windshield though.
You can set a speed limit and when you go over it the speed turns red to notify you you are speeding. It will also play your music that you have on your phone without swapping it on the phone.

Been messing with my I phone apps and at night this one works pretty good. Day time is another story though. I like the effect and it does seem to keep your eyes on the road at night. The pictures are not the best in the world but you can see how it works. The numbers are very clear looking out the windshield though.
You can set a speed limit and when you go over it the speed turns red to notify you you are speeding. It will also play your music that you have on your phone without swapping it on the phone.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 07-26-2015, 02:58 PM   #17
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEADTURNINGC10 View Post
Andy you have the jump on me with the obd2 and LS haha im still running behind on technology.
I wasnt aware the grand prix's had them. i might be making a trip to my local pick and pull and checking prices.
I think I read they had turn signals and such but they where all wired into it.

There was one that was a over head projection also.

The Bonnivills and caddy's had them also.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 07-27-2015, 12:13 PM   #18
HEADTURNINGC10

I looked into that app you were talking about, my phone is too old for it haha. I was really hoping for a rpm and speed. blinkers and other gauges im not too worried about honestly.
D13 i dopnt think the 1969 c10s windsheild were to far off curve wise from the vettes just the slope which i could adjust from the mounting angle
Old 07-27-2015, 03:01 PM   #19
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: CORVETTE HUD conversion/ swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEADTURNINGC10 View Post
I looked into that app you were talking about, my phone is too old for it haha. I was really hoping for a rpm and speed. blinkers and other gauges im not too worried about honestly.
D13 i dopnt think the 1969 c10s windsheild were to far off curve wise from the vettes just the slope which i could adjust from the mounting angle
I see your form Mechanicsville,Va. You don't happen to know my cousin Thomas Carneal do you?
He is from Tappahannock,_Virginia.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 07-28-2015, 12:01 PM   #20
ERASER5

Buick LaSabre also has a HUD.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote