The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2017, 05:08 PM   #126
rustytruck50

Re: Dumptruck Dolly

Great progress!!!

'05 RCSB Sierra 2WD
'71 Sierra 2WD Longbed
'98 Silverado K1500 Xcab...sold
'72 Highlander"Raymond"...sold
rustytruck50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:30 AM   #127
fishnixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytruck50 View Post
Great progress!!!
Thanks!...Just trying to keep busy with it while I am looking for more parts. I have to do some wiring in the back, and with some melting temps coming this week, I may be able to get a pic of my plow frame, plow, and a huge front bumper that carries the plow lights.
fishnixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:36 AM   #128
fishnixon

Black Friday results!...Raincheck is good for a month.

12K pound winch for $278 dollars...tough to beat. I guess I’ll “have” to put this on the plow bumper, which has a pocket for winches. Maybe I can get a pic of that on Tuesday.
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2017, 10:28 PM   #129
fishnixon

I’ve been working on small items...hooked up the rear running lights, but signal portions didn’t work. I replaced the flasher with a known working flasher from one of my parts trucks, and the light turned on but wouldn’t flash. While manipulating the turn signal lever, I notice that the lever will not hold its flash position. The plan is to switch to a new “used” one from the parts truck. What’s holding me up is that I do not have a steering wheel puller. That should be remedied tomorrow.

I still need to get reverse lights hooked up, which are a couple spotlights the previous owner put up.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:17 AM   #130
fishnixon

Purchased the steering wheel puller and started work on the replacement part. As you can see, the column is out of the truck.
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2017, 12:22 AM   #131
fishnixon

Pulling the guts out one layer at a time. There are two tabs to open, as I'm pointing to them with my fingers. I remove the spring clips to remove the top assembly.
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2017, 12:25 AM   #132
fishnixon

A couple more pictures showing the anatomy of the column. I have a lot to do tomorrow away from the truck, so I hope to get to the column on Dolly either Saturday or Sunday.
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2017, 08:49 PM   #133
fishnixon

So, I got back to the project today. I am using the turn signal mechanism from my blue column. I found out why there was such a sloppy feel to Dolly’s turn signal mechanism.
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2017, 08:56 PM   #134
fishnixon

Here’s the swapped in signal mechanism. Now the lever engages correctly, with a firm click we are all accustomed to.

However, that didn’t solve the lack of blinker...so I went to the fuse block and tried a a different flasher; the one I am pointing to..this did the trick.

If I confused you about the flasher I replaced earlier, it was the one on the right, the hazard flasher. All is working well, now.
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2017, 08:58 PM   #135
fishnixon

Hazards are working and signals are working!
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2017, 09:46 PM   #136
fishnixon

It’s been -20°F here in northern Minnesota. Went to start Dolly this morning… I DID NOT plug her in, and the 292 fired right up. I was mildly impressed. Just saying.

Merry Christmas! Happy New Year!
Old 12-26-2017, 10:12 PM   #137
flashed

That is just way too cold , I will stick with Ga cold .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:57 PM   #138
fishnixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
That is just way too cold , I will stick with Ga cold .
Yesterday morning on the drive into work, I read -35 F on the car!! We will be like this for the next week! My nephew from Statesboro says, “why would you live in a place that’s colder than your freezerator?”...sometimes I have to agree with him...
Old 12-29-2017, 04:02 AM   #139
Advanced Design

Cool project. Tagging along for more. Neat dirt movers in the background too.

Dumb question...is the bed hydraulic lift? I didn't see the pump and reservoir.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:19 PM   #140
68Gold/white

I had a 67 Bel Air when in high school. lived in Northwest Iowa. My car was only one on block that would start in extreme cold. When I tore the 283 down years later, all the rings were stuck in the ring lands, yes it had an oil usage problem, before rebuild...no wonder my engine cranked when others would not...
68Gold/white is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:44 PM   #141
fishnixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Cool project. Tagging along for more. Neat dirt movers in the background too.

Dumb question...is the bed hydraulic lift? I didn't see the pump and reservoir.
Electric over hydraulic. Here’s a pic of the pump in front of the passenger side rear tires.

...and having dirt movers is a blast (and not a bad investment as I seem to get my money 💰 out of them when jobs are completed)...
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2017, 03:47 PM   #142
fishnixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gold/white View Post
i had a 67 bel air when in high school. Lived in northwest iowa. My car was only one on block that would start in extreme cold. When i tore the 283 down years later, all the rings were stuck in the ring lands, yes it had an oil usage problem, before rebuild...no wonder my engine cranked when others would not...
🤣😂😁
Old 01-08-2018, 11:03 AM   #143
fishnixon

I am looking to purchase a seat cover and dash pad in the fawn color such as in this picture that I borrowed from SoCoC10... looking at the major suppliers for our trucks, I'm not finding this color listed. Is it under another name? I looked in the 1966 years as well and did not find "fawn". Suggestions of where I could get this color? The seat cover DOES NOT have to be Houndstooth like the pic. Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by fishnixon; 01-08-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:58 PM   #144
fishnixon

Does anyone have connections for a “Fawn” dashpad and seat cover? I continue to look and call suppliers for these items.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:31 PM   #145
fishnixon

Hopefully I am gaining ground on my “Fawn” interior quest. Thought I’d share the progress, and this is not an endorsement. This company is going to send me three swatches...2 different Fawn colors and a Champagne color...see color charts...I am crossing my fingers.
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2018, 11:01 PM   #146
BlueBullet

Nice build!! My vote is four wheel conversion but I am biased. I have been tossing around the idea of eventually having a flatbed/dump truck. I am building a K30 at the moment and going to just be a flatbed for now. I have family up in the Ely area. I will have to keep my eyes peeled for your trucks if I am up in the area. If interested check out my build in the 4x4 section called Big Bird. Keep up the good work!!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753294
BlueBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:18 AM   #147
fishnixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBullet View Post
Nice build!! My vote is four wheel conversion but I am biased. I have been tossing around the idea of eventually having a flatbed/dump truck. I am building a K30 at the moment and going to just be a flatbed for now. I have family up in the Ely area. I will have to keep my eyes peeled for your trucks if I am up in the area. If interested check out my build in the 4x4 section called Big Bird. Keep up the good work!!
Thanks for checking out my build. Yes, when you come up to Ely, keep your eyes peeled...or better yet, message me. I definitely will check your build...I am lining up another K20 for A future transformation.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:32 AM   #148
fishnixon

I received the swatches from the business listed above. Here's a pile of pictures. The closest ones that they had, don't quite seem to work. They seem to work with the paint scheme, but are not like the original fabric color. I'm not sure what I will do. I contacted one of the vendors that does seat covers and advertise on this forum and I am waiting for a reply.
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2018, 12:34 AM   #149
fishnixon

2 more
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2018, 11:46 PM   #150
fishnixon

Between cold weather, snow, two kids in basketball, work… I haven’t had time to work on Dumptruck Dolly. I have been looking for parts in the meantime, and would consider the time being well spent… Tonight , I have secured the purchase of a 1968 K20 , 283 V-8 with 4 speed. I will be utilizing this truck for the transformation of Dolly into a four-wheel-drive dumper. I do not have pictures of the truck presently, but I do know the truck. History on this one goes back to 1994. I was working in Willmar Minnesota, and a farmer had this truck in his field, with a for sale sign. When I moved to Ely, I drove it home, but stalled out on highway 35 North when the distributor give up the ghost… The points worked themselves loose and you can imagine the rest of the story. After getting at home, I put dual exhaust on it, drove it around for a while, and then sold it to my brother. He did not use it much, it’s been parked in his driveway sinse 1996. Now it will come back home to me. When I dig it out of his snowbank, I will put up some pictures. 👍

Getting it out of the snowbank might take some time yet, and I may have time to work on the truck as it sits now with 2 Wheel drive, so if the moderators can hold off from moving this to the 4 x 4 section until I start tearing the K20 apart, that would be great. Thanks