The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-15-2009, 07:06 AM   #1
cmcolfax

Keep What I got... Or buy another project...

OK Chebby guys... I know you all have an opinion on everything... so...

WHAT I WANTED:

When I bought my pickup a coupla months ago I really wanted a manual transmission'ed, carb'ed V8 with minimal electronics.

WHAT I GOT:

89 2WD Chevy 1500 with the 4.3L and a 5-speed (unfortunately it is NOT the NV3500).

I paid $800 for it and put about $200 in to it to get it driving safely (See brake issues threads in Tech.)

It runs decent, shows 243K on the clock body is fairly straight and solid, with the exception of one cab corner rotted thru and some dents in the bedsides.

PO claims the motor was rebuilt at 200K and claims a "new" clutch.

It's ugly as sin. Was white, but has been rattle canned with black spray on bedliner.

In every nook and cranny, but NO prep work or masking done. Just sprayed on.

WHAT I FOUND:

Found an 85 2WD 1/2 Ton Chevy with a 305 and a TH350 for $500.

Current owner says it runs and drives, but the "carb needs adjustment" and it "has no reverse"; 70K original miles.

Body is straight and solid, original mid-80's two-tone brown and tan paint.

Found a complete carb-to-oil pan 350/TH350 combo just pulled out of a running, driving 78 1/2 Ton chevy for another $500.

Found a set of re-done heads from an 86 350 truck, an Edelbrock performer cam and lifters and a set of Edelbrock chrome valve covers for another $200.

(These parts were supposed to be for his own truck project, but he found a 454...)

So... WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Would you keep what I got?

Or buy all the pieces and build (mostly - I can deal with it being an auto) what I wanted?

It would primarily see use as a weekend hauler, yard truck, and back-up DD if my Grand Cherokee is down for maintenance or repairs and the weather is not nice enough to drive Wrangler.

I figure I could easily sell the 305, and the "bad" TH350, as I put the new rig together.

And then sell the 89 when I was done.

-cmc-
cmcolfax is offline   Reply With Quote