The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-14-2015, 11:08 AM   #1
Tusky

Towing C10..... what do I need ?

Hey guys I'm new here so please bear with me cause honestly all I know about is f-bodies.
I'm a owner of a 2000 Z28 that I will be towing to the track sometimes and up to bowling green to the LS fest. My car go be driven most of the time but om occasions I also want to go to down to Baton Rouge and run with some close friends of mine. Well Bowling Green is 6 hours north of me and Baton Rouge is 6 hours south from me. I live in Mississippi and it's tons of square body trucks all over the county roads begging for a new life and honestly I can't afford a 50k truck. I'm familiar with the LS motor as I am a LS guy. Looking into getting a 73-79 model cause i like those headlights over the square lights. My questions are:

How much of a motor I need to tow my car 6 hours away from home ? 6.0 or 5.3 ?
What mods will be best for towing?
What transmission would be best?
Long wheel base or short wheel base ?
What gear ratio in the rear I need to get the weight moving?

Remember guys I'm not towing a 50 ft trailer loaded with iron. My Camaro weight around 3400 and the trailer weigh around 1800 lbs. So 5500 lbs max is what I'll be towing. Thanks in advance and I'm sorry if I asked a "stupid" question.
Tusky is offline   Reply With Quote