The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2018, 07:40 PM   #1
dondb

to many options

I just bought a 1969 c10 ss lwb and have some paint option questions. I put por 15 on my 69 camaro did not like it, i used eastwood rust encapsulater, worked ok some what. So as I take the wood out of my bed in the truck i see surface rust. What would you paint guys recommend to hit it with along with the frame. I want to clean things up as i do projects and would like to hear from the board on your recommendations and experience with different paint on or rattle can options. Mind you i have no experience in the paint world....my strengths lie in the mechanical side.

Name:  69t4.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  62.4 KB
2002 Camaro SS LE Rag Top #937
dondb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:33 PM   #2
04ls1gto

Re: to many options

I prepared mine with degreaser and a wire wheel, self etching primer and rustoleum professional and it came out great. Also allowed me to do it in sections
04ls1gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:46 AM   #3
notsolo

After it's clean. I like metal prep. ( Phosphoric acid) can be painted over when it dries. For pitted rusty metal Mastercoat silver, ( Good Respirator needed with this) Hammerite is a good top coat. I am not a fan of POR-15, but love the POR Engine enamel. Great looking truck...BTW.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:10 AM   #4
blazer2007

I see lots of fancy rustoleum paints but never see them in the stores and in Canada where I am hardly ever see rustoleum products, always tremclad rust paints. Is there a place to order these paints.
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:33 PM   #5
Foot Stomper

The only thing you should ever put on rusty steel that's been properly prepped is epoxy primer. SSPC2 or SSPC3 is generally all you need to do to prep. http://www.blastal.com/images/SSPC_Chart.pdf

Don't buy into the rave for certain brands of epoxy because it doesn't matter which one you buy. True 2K epoxy primer is all you need. What you paint over the epoxy is far less important.

Spray Max sells a 2K epoxy primer in a rattle can but is fairly expensive. Gallon kits give more coverage value for the money but if you don't need much and/or you don't have spray equipment, then the Spray Max aerosol might be the way to go. http://www.spraymax.com/en-us/produc...poxy-primer-1/

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989

Last edited by Foot Stomper; 05-01-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:39 PM   #6
Foot Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer2007 View Post
I see lots of fancy rustoleum paints but never see them in the stores and in Canada where I am hardly ever see rustoleum products, always tremclad rust paints. Is there a place to order these paints.
Rustoleum Industrial Coatings can be purchased from AGI, Gregs and Lordco.

If you are in Vernon, I'd recommend seeing the guys at NAPA in Kelowna (on Roxby Road) as they carry a couple different brands of paint but not Rustoleum.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:30 AM   #7
dondb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Stomper View Post
The only thing you should ever put on rusty steel that's been properly prepped is epoxy primer. SSPC2 or SSPC3 is generally all you need to do to prep. http://www.blastal.com/images/SSPC_Chart.pdf

Don't buy into the rave for certain brands of epoxy because it doesn't matter which one you buy. True 2K epoxy primer is all you need. What you paint over the epoxy is far less important.

Spray Max sells a 2K epoxy primer in a rattle can but is fairly expensive. Gallon kits give more coverage value for the money but if you don't need much and/or you don't have spray equipment, then the Spray Max aerosol might be the way to go. http://www.spraymax.com/en-us/produc...poxy-primer-1/
Thanks to all with the reply's
I guess i'll go with the 2K epoxy primer rattle can. What paint would you recommend for good adhesion to the primer?
Old 05-02-2018, 08:55 AM   #8
Foot Stomper

Make sure you read and fully understand the tech data sheet for all products you use because they will describe many things including what needs to be done to topcoat it.
What you want to paint it with is your call since the epoxy is the most important coating. If you're OK with brushing, then Rustoleum alkyd enamel might be considered but again, just about any paint you get from a gallon can will work. Stay away from rattle cans.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:36 PM   #9
dondb

Thanks for the paint help.....No rattle cans for the paint over the epoxy...Paint on
Old 05-03-2018, 03:24 PM   #10
dondb

The best pricing i see for the spray max 2k epoxy is through ebay....and all in beige. Anyone have any good sources price wise, I would think color doesn't matter if it's going to be painted after?