The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2014, 04:49 PM   #1
abohler1

Jacking up laid out truck

Hi All,

I have an electrical issue I need to identify and my air system is not running. All four corners are laid out and I can't get a jack under the front crossmember. I was able to jack up the rear end. Just looking for some alternate suggestions on how to get the front up. Thanks.
abohler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:28 PM   #2
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Re: Jacking up laid out truck

Drive up onto some ramps or blocks of wood, enough to get your floor jack under it.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:56 AM   #3
CMFT

Maybe remove the front bumper so you can get under the frame from the front?
CMFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #4
NEWFISHER

Scissor jacks are usually $5 at the wrecking yard. I carry a couple in each rig. They work well after the truck/car is up and you need to jack the axle down to get the tire out around the fender. They also lay flat when stored and take up very little room. If they start to rattle, you can unwind them and put pressure against something to hold them in place. On the rockcrawlers I weld a couple pieces of angle and unscrew the jack within the angle tabs to lock it into place.

If you start at the rear axle and get the truck off the ground, you place another on the frame then Indian chain the rear jack ahead of the other until you walk up to the front. It takes a couple moves but you will get there. Get an extra handle and cut the end off, weld it to some 7/16 round stock and insert it into a Makita cordless. Then you can speed up the rotation issue for up and down with the scissor jack.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:00 PM   #5
tinydb84

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMFT View Post
Maybe remove the front bumper so you can get under the frame from the front?
If you are laid on the crossmember you wont be able to get a jack under it even with the bumper off. I added this bar largely due to lateral flex of the front horns. I made it just high enough that I can slide a jack under it if absolutely necessary. I use that spot to jack it up now that I don't have my engine in but I would only use it in emergency situations once the engine is in due to the amount of weight.

The other option would be to cut your airline and put a schrader valve on it to manually fill it up.
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:57 AM   #6
andrewmp6

If your wheels have spokes or big enough holes to get a strap through,You could lift it up by the wheel with a hi lift jack or maybe a engine hoist.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:54 AM   #7
IIGW

you need to get the roller jacks. they can move the car around the shop. you roll it up to the tire, and press the foot lever until the tire jacks off the ground. super easy.

here is a pic

Amazon.com: Hydraulic Vehicle Automotive Moving... Amazon.com: Hydraulic Vehicle Automotive Moving...
IIGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:42 AM   #8
Rochlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFISHER View Post
Scissor jacks are usually $5 at the wrecking yard. I carry a couple in each rig. They work well after the truck/car is up and you need to jack the axle down to get the tire out around the fender. They also lay flat when stored and take up very little room. If they start to rattle, you can unwind them and put pressure against something to hold them in place. On the rockcrawlers I weld a couple pieces of angle and unscrew the jack within the angle tabs to lock it into place.

If you start at the rear axle and get the truck off the ground, you place another on the frame then Indian chain the rear jack ahead of the other until you walk up to the front. It takes a couple moves but you will get there. Get an extra handle and cut the end off, weld it to some 7/16 round stock and insert it into a Makita cordless. Then you can speed up the rotation issue for up and down with the scissor jack.
This method has always worked for me
Old 10-08-2014, 02:03 AM   #9
Slow Build

You can jack up the back and put some wood blocks as far forward under the frame as you can. Then when you drop the rear the front might rise enough to get a jack under it.
Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside
1968 GMC short stepside-4x4
1973 Chevy short stepside
1989 Chevy short fleetside-reg cab
1993 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab
2002 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab

Save the dinosaurs, use synthetic oil.
Slow Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:23 PM   #10
ERASER5

I'm thinking T'ing in emergency schrader valves for each bag or each side would be a good idea. Plenty of places to tuck it away under the hood. Gotta do what ya gotta do.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:20 PM   #11
abohler1

I'm with you all on the schrader valves. That is a really good idea long term. I did end up figuring something out. I was able to slide the jack in between the rear wheel and the wheel well, and jacked up the pumpkin. Put two jack stands under the rear axles. Then moved as far forward on the frame on either side with jacks and got some height, and put jack stands under the frame as well, 2 on each side. Then went and put the floor jack under the front crossmember. Was a PIA, but it worked. Thanks for all the suggestions. Just have to make sure this doesn't happen again.
abohler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:37 PM   #12
NEWFISHER

I kept 2 schaders on 6" 1/4 hose with 2 splice female/female fittings in the glove box along with 20' of hose just in case something happened. It would be tough to band aid a blown/torn/punctured bag on a road trip, but patching a line could be done.

Glad you figured it out. Keep a couple scissor jacks under the seat and you will be good if needed.