The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2020, 04:50 PM   #1
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Trying to get things done online.

Well I just happened to notice that the Tags on my truck were about to expire.

I never received a renewal notice. And We never received one on my wife's Fiat either and it was late. Again I just happened to notice the tags were expired on the Fiat too. I had to pay a late fee. I paid them online about a month ago and still have not received the sticker.

So I go online to pay on the truck. Try to avoid a late fee. It won't let me. It requires a 17 digit vin# and my truck only has 12. It kicks me out. So I'll probably be late again. The DMV is closed until Tuesday.

Then I try to check my bank balance. It tells me my user Id is invalid. To contact my branch. (Third time that's happened) And they aren't open until Tuesday as well.

I'm 2 for 2 here folks.

So being the glutton for punishment that I am. I go on the Social Security website to order a new S.S. card. I haven't seen mine in 35 years and I need to get a passport soon.

It tells me that my information is incorrect. And it locks me out for 24 hours.

Now I'm 3 for 3... I quit.

I accomplished nothing. Struck out three times. I don't know how people can steal your identity when I can't even get into my own stuff.

Then I opened a beer. With no hassle at all. It's good to know that some things still work.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:24 PM   #2
Boog
laying low

Re: Trying to get things done online.

I know your pain brother. Conspiracy plain and simple. I had trouble getting online to check my retirement account. It was on the weekend. So i used their help button and sent them a message describing my problem. Four days later i got a message back telling me to use their online help button. Really? So I told our retirement plan admin thinking she’d have more influence than me and find a way in. They told her the same thing. Chapped my old hiney I tell ya. They don’t give a shuff whether I access my account or not just as long as I keep contributing. We have mandatory participation at work so I can’t yank it away from them. One huge conspiracy to separate us from our hard earned money I tell ya.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:17 PM   #3
1968k20

I noticed last week that my registration is due in February. I never got a renewal notice either, and tried to pay online yesterday, but it stated that I couldn't do it- is this a problem with California DMV?
Yanmar Tractor 3 Cyl Diesel
1968k20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:19 AM   #4
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Odd man out again I guess (knock wood). DMV has never failed to send me an invoice a couple months early, and the website has always worked for me.

Many years ago before internet, I always mailed paperwork with a check (Do not staple your payment to the form!). Two times they lost my check. I asked my local DMV guy about stapling it, and he said "What are they gonna do, refuse your payment?" So I stapled it every time after that and never had another problem.

Paul -- good luck on Tuesday, it's frustrating I know, hope it all works out OK!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:46 AM   #5
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
Well I just happened to notice that the Tags on my truck were about to expire.

I never received a renewal notice. And We never received one on my wife's Fiat either and it was late. Again I just happened to notice the tags were expired on the Fiat too. I had to pay a late fee. I paid them online about a month ago and still have not received the sticker.

So I go online to pay on the truck. Try to avoid a late fee. It won't let me. It requires a 17 digit vin# and my truck only has 12. It kicks me out. So I'll probably be late again. The DMV is closed until Tuesday.

Then I try to check my bank balance. It tells me my user Id is invalid. To contact my branch. (Third time that's happened) And they aren't open until Tuesday as well.

I'm 2 for 2 here folks.

So being the glutton for punishment that I am. I go on the Social Security website to order a new S.S. card. I haven't seen mine in 35 years and I need to get a passport soon.

It tells me that my information is incorrect. And it locks me out for 24 hours.

Now I'm 3 for 3... I quit.

I accomplished nothing. Struck out three times. I don't know how people can steal your identity when I can't even get into my own stuff.

Then I opened a beer. With no hassle at all. It's good to know that some things still work.
Sounds frustrating. I probably would’ve blown a left ventricle.
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:26 AM   #6
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968k20 View Post
I noticed last week that my registration is due in February. I never got a renewal notice either, and tried to pay online yesterday, but it stated that I couldn't do it- is this a problem with California DMV?

Yes. There is a problem with the California DMV. They're the California DMV. That's the problem. They suck and they don't care. There's no accountability.

You probably have the same problem as I have. Only vehicles manufactured after 1981 had 17 digit Vin numbers. The website will not recognize anything without 17 numbers. And there are no options available other than mailing the renewal in. But if you don't get your renewal how are you going to do that? Quick answer. You're not. You're going to the DMV. Fun Fun Fun. It's such a fun place.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 02-16-2020, 01:39 AM   #7
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
O

(Do not staple your payment to the form!). Two times they lost my check. I asked my local DMV guy about stapling it, and he said "What are they gonna do, refuse your payment?" So I stapled it every time after that and never had another problem.

Paul -- good luck on Tuesday, it's frustrating I know, hope it all works out OK!
Thanks Mike.

It makes me feel like putting about 150 staples in my renewal...But I don't have one.

I'll be nice to the people at the DMV. They are the front line people. They aren't the one's responsible for this mess. I've been there. Getting chewed out for something that is completely out of your control.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 02-16-2020, 02:26 AM   #8
Sheepdip

My tags on Otis were due last November, I paid on line in October just under the new 2.1% card fee. I do not file anything until all is good with new tags in my possession, and it will automatically re-surface again the next month if I do not receive them.

I had not received my tags but had for another vehicle I paid later by mail to avoid the 2.1% fee.

I also have AAA so I paid them a visit, they told me the tags had been mailed to me weeks before.
I had to fill out a simple form that stated I had not received them and she gave me new ones on the spot, I still have not seen those supposedly mailed tags.

Thank God for AAA!
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:27 AM   #9
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post
My tags on Otis were due last November, I paid on line in October just under the new 2.1% card fee. I do not file anything until all is good with new tags in my possession, and it will automatically re-surface again the next month if I do not receive them.

I had not received my tags but had for another vehicle I paid later by mail to avoid the 2.1% fee.

I also have AAA so I paid them a visit, they told me the tags had been mailed to me weeks before.
I had to fill out a simple form that stated I had not received them and she gave me new ones on the spot, I still have not seen those supposedly mailed tags.

Thank God for AAA!

I have AAA. But unfortunately there isn't an office anywhere near me now. I always went there instead of the DMV when I lived in So. Cal.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 02-16-2020, 11:52 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

I recently got my license renewal notice for July. They want everyone to come in for this next renewal. Has something to do with some new "Real ID" thing they have going on. I figured it was nationwide. I guess they want DNA samples do a retina scan tattoo and/or install that chip

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:01 PM   #11
Thealien

Not just CA. I live in MA and recently went to pay the title and sales tax and transfer the registration at my insurance company to avoid the DMV (shudders). I too found out I had to go into the RMV as the VIN# is too short and even my insurance company couldn't get it to work.

I know have to go back this week and transfer it back as the Blazer I just bought needs so much it will NOT pass inspection. So it is up for sale or I am going to go right into body work and LS install rather than spend another dime on this suspension or drive train.

My dad is 91 with the onset of dementia and Alzheimer's and he lost his wallet and Medicaid card. I am having a hard time replacing it for him?

Good luck
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:02 PM   #12
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I recently got my license renewal notice for July. They want everyone to come in for this next renewal. Has something to do with some new "Real ID" thing they have going on. I figured it was nationwide. I guess they want DNA samples do a retina scan tattoo and/or install that chip
Tim
I just went thru it and it was actually the quickest I have been in and out of the mVA in years. My advise, make sure you have everything they want (no copies, originals only) and make an appointment online. My appointment was at 1045 am and I was back in the truck at 1056 am (same day no less)
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:15 PM   #13
special-K
Special Order

Good to know. Did the tattoo hurt? Can you sit ok?

Doing things online wears me out sometimes. Makes me feel like I'd rather take months walking from place to place to take care of things

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:21 PM   #14
wfojon
Chevy guy

Ya, I'm in rural Ca too and here the damn mail box thieves are bad and my mail carrier is lazy. I routinely get the wrong mail and it seems the thieves follow the carriers car around so I try an be at the box when the mail comes.
Doing this I get the notices for DMV renewal and pay on line and get the tags in the mail without problems.
Jon
65 C10 long bed fleetside
70 C10 long bed fleetside
74 C30 flatbed
wfojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:25 PM   #15
Grumpy old man

Real ID in Tn this year requires

In person application
Social security card
(2) proofs of residency

No photo copies must be original documents

If you plan to travel it says you must have real ID by Oct 2020

It's a way for them to gather a facial recognition picture. I read a while back information sharing with other government agencies like the IRS and others. Next it will be tattoo barcodes and RFID chips .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:32 PM   #16
davischevy

My mother passed in January 2019. I had most of her affairs in order except some Wal Mart stock that she had owned for years.

I went on line to see what it would take to sell the stock, and since she did not have an online account it was no problem to take her info and put the account in my name and address. Scary.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:40 PM   #17
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I guess they want DNA samples do a retina scan tattoo and/or install that chip
You laugh now, but.....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:56 PM   #18
Boog
laying low

I ain't gonna do it. I know who I am and all who know me do to.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 02:21 PM   #19
weq92f

This is not going to be easy to bypass. It's now tied to ID cards and driver license. These two things are required for things like vehicle registration and boarding airplanes ( which after October you will be denied if your ID/driver license isn't of the REAL ID type ).

From what I'm reading, I don't think you have an option when your ID/driver license expires...you must go through this extra scrutiny and have all your documents scanned/copied into the database of potential criminals!

Here in TX they are requiring Government issued Birth Certificate + SS card + proof of residency.

Mine expires in May this year so I just got finished ordering an official copy of my Texas birth cert for 30 bucks!

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 02:44 PM   #20
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

That is one thing to be careful of as well, not all old birth certificates are acceptable. I had to spend $25 to get an updated version of mine bc in DE at the time I was born, it was called a birth registration which apparently is different. The MD MVA website has a checklist you can go thru as well as contact info for all 50 states for the birth cert. info.

SO far the only thing I have not needed the license for is to vote... but that is another story
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:16 PM   #21
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 02-16-2020, 03:47 PM   #22
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by weq92f View Post
This is not going to be easy to bypass. It's now tied to ID cards and driver license. These two things are required for things like vehicle registration and boarding airplanes ( which after October you will be denied if your ID/driver license isn't of the REAL ID type ).

From what I'm reading, I don't think you have an option when your ID/driver license expires...you must go through this extra scrutiny and have all your documents scanned/copied into the database of potential criminals!

Here in TX they are requiring Government issued Birth Certificate + SS card + proof of residency.

Mine expires in May this year so I just got finished ordering an official copy of my Texas birth cert for 30 bucks!

-klb

It's my understanding that you don't have to have the special license to fly or enter federal buildings but you would have to have all of the needed documentation for the special license with you to do that, so you might as well get the license.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:52 PM   #23
1976gmc20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
It's my understanding that you don't have to have the special license to fly or enter federal buildings but you would have to have all of the needed documentation for the special license with you to do that, so you might as well get the license.

LockDoc
Might as well just say ****-it and get a passport.

I think the real id is still optional in MT; I will find out later this year. They were charging extra for it.

I haven't flown since 2012 and don't intend to fly ever again.
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:03 PM   #24
Thealien

Passport card will work instead of real ID for domestic air travel. Passport book for international

Passport card is equal or better than real ID.
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:39 PM   #25
Killer Bee

When do I need to get a REAL ID?

Beginning October 1, 2020, you will need have a REAL ID-compliant license or another acceptable form of ID, such as a valid passport or U.S. military ID, to fly within the U.S. Review the complete list of acceptable IDs.

although I posses both of those, I still opted to upgrade my CDL for convenience..

most access control points have DL scanners, rather that than human interpretation..