The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
knightowl73
TUKE-NoBullChit Customs owner

grinding/growling noise driving me crazy! HELP!

Ok so ive been hearing this growling noise coming from my truck while im braking, so i took the liberty to change the front pads, since i never had. the indicators werent and looked like they hadsome life but i still changed them, and nothing changed with the noise. so i thought maybe the rears. i jacked up the truck and took the wheel off to check which width rear brakes i had, but damn the shoes look damn near new in the rear, i recently put this rear, so no problem there. thought they would most likely be due for a change. so after all this i still need to bleed them a il more, seems as if there is still some air somewhere, but i still have the noise. could this be my trans or rear-end? i only hear it when im braking though. ive even let someone else drive my truck and i listened as they left and came back but still only heard it when the brake lights were on so it leads me to beleive somewhat that it is still something with the brakes. rotors and drums looked fine.

anyone lse ran ino this problem? im just stumped that i cant figure this out, thought it was a simple indication of needing pads n shoes but i was wrong.
OWNER @ NBC Customs...No Bull Chit....'92 GMC C2500 ECSB 350/TH400, '57 FORD SKYLINER (My dad's for now, but its really mine-you'll NEVER see a cooler car at 7 years old lol), '42 ford rat rod shop truck (new project), 91 CHRYSLER VOYER MINIVAN (shop van for now)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/nbc.customs

knightowl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
knightowl73

Re: grinding/growling noise driving me crazy! HELP!

well ive drove it around the block multiple times and the last few times ive thrown it in nuetral and coasted from like 40 mph down the sstreet till im pulled to a stop in the driveway and i still have the noise. hoping this helps
OWNER @ NBC Customs...No Bull Chit....'92 GMC C2500 ECSB 350/TH400, '57 FORD SKYLINER (My dad's for now, but its really mine-you'll NEVER see a cooler car at 7 years old lol), '42 ford rat rod shop truck (new project), 91 CHRYSLER VOYER MINIVAN (shop van for now)

Old 11-24-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
knightowl73

dammn no one has ever had a problem like this? i did a search and came up with nothing also

Old 11-24-2010, 09:05 PM   #4
Low84

Dammit, this isn't what I wanted to hear right now. I'm having the same problem on my s10 daily. I thought it was weird because usually brake pads go bad gradually. This just started randomly. I just bought the brake pads and haven't gotten around to changing them.

But it sounds like I have a dragon growling under the hood.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
craazy22

Hey guys try checking your bearings... sometimes when are starting to dry out they will start growling when you brake. Eventually the will do it all the time. It won't hurt to check that...
Posted via Mobile Device
02 chevy silverado z71 off road package
craazy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:30 PM   #6
RuralRoute C-30

Have you considered blocking the rear-end off the ground and see if you hear the noise while free-wheeling that rear differential?

Could be the rear-end, but pure speculation on my part from the symptoms you've described. Would be one way to eliminate it as the source of noise though and see if you can 'feel' it coming from the brakes or maybe a wheel bearing.

Service manual suggests the noise you describe could be coming from the rear-end. Hopefully it is something else.

Mark

"Reality is just a hallucination brought on by lack of alcohol."
RuralRoute C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:31 PM   #7
craazy22

Knightowl where in houston are you? I live in northside houston might be able to help you out buddy.
Posted via Mobile Device
02 chevy silverado z71 off road package
craazy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:07 PM   #8
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

Yeah, just by your description it sounds like maybe the rear gears. Bearings will generally make a howling noise at speed. Tough to diagnose on the internet.

"It takes a smart man to know when he's stupid." -- Barney Rubble

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430367
TheWhiteElephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:11 PM   #9
Low84

Quote:
Originally Posted by craazy22 View Post
Hey guys try checking your bearings... sometimes when are starting to dry out they will start growling when you brake. Eventually the will do it all the time. It won't hurt to check that...
Posted via Mobile Device
You know what I hadn't even thought of that. That's more than likely gonna be it!
Old 11-24-2010, 10:23 PM   #10
knightowl73

Well i live right behind Hobby airport on the south side of town. I did jack up the rear and turn the wheels but didnt hear anything to cause me to think its comin from the rear. Guess in the morning ill check my wheel bearings. Just another day for me.
Posted via Mobile Device