The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2018, 08:26 PM   #1
The Rocknrod

Saturn Salami

Anyone that was in the Navy remember “Saturn Salami” in your box lunch sangy's?
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:11 AM   #2
In The Ten Ring

Re: Saturn Salami

No but I used to drive a Saturn. I hated the "plastic sardine can" but I admit it did corner very, very well.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:04 AM   #3
greasemonkey

I asked 2 retired sailors and they have no idea what a saturn salami is.
So what is it?
1987 Jimmy
2004 Tahoe
2005 Silverado 1500
2005 Silverado 3500
greasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:44 AM   #4
The Rocknrod

They probably don’t anymore, back in the day however:
That’s where the Salami had a green ring around the edges. You just peel the edges off and eat the sandwich. Usually with a slice of old cheese (check for mold).
Looking back now I often wonder why would they have kept molding salami on-board?
Old 11-28-2018, 12:35 PM   #5
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I was in the Navy from '72-'76. Never heard of it. Or maybe I'm just blocking the memory.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:51 PM   #6
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
I was in the Navy from '72-'76. Never heard of it. Or maybe I'm just blocking the memory.
Small boy or carrier?
Old 11-29-2018, 01:27 AM   #7
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Two destroyers and then a carrier. First one had just returned from a WestPac when I got aboard, so not much sea time. Then I got transferred to another destroyer, which was a reserve ship. It got sold to the Korean Navy, and I was transferred back to my first ship, which then was turned into a reserve ship. I had some shore duty for a time after that, and then went to a carrier which was in the yards for refit. i joined the Navy to see the world, and spent maybe 180 days on the water out of port. I know that there were times when we were over 50 miles from shore, because then we were allowed to pump the bilges. The world via the Navy was mostly gray, as seen from the engine room.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 11-29-2018, 08:12 AM   #8
The Rocknrod

Different life between the two types of ships for sure. Smaller crew, everybody knows one another is a much better life.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:36 PM   #9
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Indeed. When were out to sea on the carrier, people could get robbed and they'd never find the perp(s).

Simi Valley, CA
Old 11-29-2018, 03:54 PM   #10
The Rocknrod

I worked in Catapults and Arresting Gear. Or should I say I survived it.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:02 PM   #11
Killer Bee

'89-'09 6yrs fleet, 14yrs NECC never heard of it either..

other than mre's and tray-paks, boxed lunches from a mess were usually ham/cheese sammich, boiled egg, cold vegi [carrot/celery], and a piece of dry cake or pastry..

during desert storm, we ate a lot of boxed lunches at gq and 1a, and on small boat missions..

do distinctly recall one box lunch from the boat while conducting small arms range outside bangor wa '93-'94ish..

hungry as hell working the range all day, take a break to stuff my face and cracked my NON-boiled egg all over my chow
Old 11-29-2018, 05:08 PM   #12
The Rocknrod

Strange - Everybody in V2 knows of Saturn Salami. Even on other ships.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:03 PM   #13
Killer Bee

V what? must be a bird farm thing.. one and only google hit is THIS thread

need to update wiki https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/App....S._Navy_slang

slightly off topic, I supervise techs that perform a myriad of inspections and maintain logs as do I..

one of my favorite sea stories is explaining what gun decking is
Old 11-29-2018, 07:05 PM   #14
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
V what? must be a bird farm thing.. one and only google hit is THIS thread

need to update wiki https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/App....S._Navy_slang

slightly off topic, I supervise techs that perform a myriad of inspections and maintain logs as do I..

one of my favorite sea stories is explaining what gun decking is
Gun Decking. Whereby you fake reports. As in Gun Decking PMS on a piece of equipment of system.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:20 PM   #15
Killer Bee

that's it..

they get my story anytime I suspect it and gets the message across amazingly clear
Old 11-29-2018, 07:59 PM   #16
Killer Bee

couple of good sea stories about gun decking..

CW02 Sal Lota, Ogden DCA, would hide or leave notes in the most obscure parts of the boat.. don't find him during your sounding n security rounds or bring his note back to DC central, better stand by for heavy rolls! be lucky not to end up at mast with 45/45, 1/2 fer 2 and reduced..

EN1 Newcomer, made EN1 twice , while on AC&R watch, aligned the frozen deck reefers for hot gas to defrost per night orders.. never went back till morning cranks reported frozen decks ready to serve.. he made EN2 again

some purple wingnut, have to check cruisebook for his name, got caught holding the bag after lengthy chain of gun decking fuel soundings.. some odd umpteen thousand gallons of JP discovered missing on his watch.. he went mast, busted..

moored pier 9 long beach, off going engineering duty section Sunday morning liberty secured, all hands lay to port shaft alley.. yup, you guessed it.. unknown number of previous cold iron watches gun decking could iron watch rounds and Sunday morning oncoming found shaft alley flooded all the way up the access trunk! we ran every piece of dewatering gear we could fit on third deck for almost 4 hours clearing that flood and off going allowed to leave.. last watch from offgoing, mast and busted..

learned a long time ago, gun decking was a bad idea!
Old 11-29-2018, 08:32 PM   #17
The Rocknrod

We had Div-O's and CPO's required to do spot checks on PMS. It got so bad the guys were doing two PMS checks per card. As a MCPO I finally stopped that BS. Just do the spot check, not the entire PMS again. You know what they say - there are two O's in Bozo.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:11 PM   #18
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
couple of good sea stories about gun decking..

CW02 Sal Lota, Ogden DCA, would hide or leave notes in the most obscure parts of the boat.. don't find him during your sounding n security rounds or bring his note back to DC central, better stand by for heavy rolls! be lucky not to end up at mast with 45/45, 1/2 fer 2 and reduced..

EN1 Newcomer, made EN1 twice , while on AC&R watch, aligned the frozen deck reefers for hot gas to defrost per night orders.. never went back till morning cranks reported frozen decks ready to serve.. he made EN2 again

some purple wingnut, have to check cruisebook for his name, got caught holding the bag after lengthy chain of gun decking fuel soundings.. some odd umpteen thousand gallons of JP discovered missing on his watch.. he went mast, busted..

moored pier 9 long beach, off going engineering duty section Sunday morning liberty secured, all hands lay to port shaft alley.. yup, you guessed it.. unknown number of previous cold iron watches gun decking could iron watch rounds and Sunday morning oncoming found shaft alley flooded all the way up the access trunk! we ran every piece of dewatering gear we could fit on third deck for almost 4 hours clearing that flood and off going allowed to leave.. last watch from offgoing, mast and busted..

learned a long time ago, gun decking was a bad idea!
In the engineering ratings (at least on the Destroyers, and when I was in) we called it "radioing in the readings". We were required to make hourly checks of the depth of water in the engineering spaces. Guys would set an alarm clock, wake up and report to the OOD, and go back to sleep, with the clock set for the next wake-up. This was done mostly on the Mid-watch, from midnight to 4 AM. Leaks generally don't happen that fast, so one will likely get away with it. My second ship, we had a big clock that we had to carry around and punch holes in a paper tape inside. Specific shapes were punched in the tape for particular locations. Don't miss any!

Simi Valley, CA
Old 11-29-2018, 10:19 PM   #19
Killer Bee

oh I remember those 3M spot checks.. kept us on our toes..

we had an XO's spot check due for my shop and I was the lucky one..

he drew one of the most complicated MRCs for a crew sized check on a 16k cargo/weapons elevator..

after we ran him back and forth from the trunk pit, platform, and running gear room multiple times to demonstrate all points of the procedure, greased up his khakis, he was convinced my crew hadn't missed anything and told me just explain the rest of it from where we were standing

he was actually a pretty cool XO, I ended up with a command level QCI position for a while when that program was spooling up in surface fleet..

fortunately the Chiefs all trusted me and the JOs had no idea what we really had to do to keep 40 year old equipment working..
Old 11-29-2018, 10:32 PM   #20
Killer Bee

shoot I wish we could have done that.. warrant Lota would mess with our checkin times if he thought we were screwing around too much..

every 15 minutes checking in, in person to DC central was a royal pita..

desk watch was the holy grail.. but tough to stay awake sometimes.. and just when a couple of good shipmates stop by to keep you company, warrant would pop in and run them off.. at freaking 3am! don't you ever go to bed dammit?!

and fire drills and flying squad drills any random time of any random day.. in the shower, eating chow, in the rack, didn't matter.. 60 seconds in an OBA with a charged hose on the door.. needless to say, when he was in drill mode, we did a few of them until we beat his stainless stopwatch..

good times, good times..