The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2012, 12:37 AM   #176
pinecrest

Re: 48 panel truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 to Life View Post
funny I never seen a ford small block in a chevy LOL.

My project will be getting a ford 302. Had the engine rebuilt for another project that got scrapped. Tough to just let it sit there, or dump it for a fraction of what I have in it. I have very few spare dolla bills laying around, so..... a sbf will go into my 47 Chevy. Ban me now. haha.

(and what a sweet panel, btw!!!)
pinecrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:55 AM   #177
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Cool project. I have a 69 panel that I kick myself over. I would much rather have something like this.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #178
mud.man.rj

CG... nothing wrong with a 69 panel.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:26 AM   #179
bulldog2513

very nice work man. im a fool over the 48 panels. maybe ill have my own one day
1996 Chevrolet Tahoe LT, 4 door grocery getter (Mama's Ride)
bulldog2513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #180
xpickup

99 to Life, He did hear a bunch of crap over it. He sold it a couple of years ago though.

mud.man.rj, Yes they are putting them in everything now. I had heard that they where putting them in mustangs. I am sure the ford people just love that.

CG,Thank you. They are cool too. You never see many of those. They are cool.

mud.man.rj, I agree.

bulldog2513, Thank you.

Well checked out the gas gauge and it is hooked up right. It is the sending unit. I pulled it out of the tank and moved it up and down and the gauge never moved. What a shame because it was new 10 years ago and was just hooked up a month ago! I have to call summit for a replacement. I also hooked up my remote vacuum canister for my power brakes. Still have not driven it this weekend. I am going through withdraw!

Shannon
xpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #181
Daze57

''What a shame because it was new 10 years ago and was just hooked up a month ago!''

boy does that sound familiar !!!!!!!!!! been der & still doin it
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #182
xpickup

I know it is sad. I am sure the warranty is up. Haha.

Shannon
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #183
xpickup

The gas gauge is now fixed. Although it sometimes does not seem right all the time! It is the right gauge for the sending unit. Now the next thing is to remove the safety foam. Everytime i get gas it comes out the fill. I have a vent on the fill tube at the top by the cap so I do not know if the foam is slowing it down in the tube. I did drive it this weekend a good bit. I am taking it to the first show this Friday as long as it does not rain.

Shannon
Old 07-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #184
oldman3

Hope the weather holds and you make it to the show, if so, take plenty of pic....Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #185
xpickup

Well it has been a while, I have been driving it. I had to go to the parts store tonight to get a few things and took my son with me and he found a packet of tattoos and low and behold they had a AD truck so of course we bought them for him! I had to put a ground strap on the motor and bought some band clamps for my exhaust tip. I had just sheet metal screwed it because in the rush to get it on the road. But is has this really annoying vibration and certain rpms and I thought they might take care of it. But no such luck. Next I am going to TIG a tube in the center of the opening and see if it takes it away. It drives me nuts. Tomorrow I have to change the steering shaft on it because it is rubbing the a arm a little. I had the factory rag joints and I am putting a good joint in a the top and still using the slip shaft and the factory lower rag joint for now. The last picture is a cool picture. It is my panel and my buddies truck peaking out of the garage.

Shannon
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2012, 11:35 PM   #186
mud.man.rj

The kids gettin tattooed are getting younger and younger these days, very cool tat, almost want a real one myself. Cool garage pic.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:37 PM   #187
oldman3

Hell yeah, start em young, nice pics....Jim
Old 08-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #188
99 to Life

yeah cool pic, man I want one of those tatts? actually will be getting a real one. Got 1951 on my knuckles already. Glad to hear you been driving the panel. How about some footage of it?

49Hardtimes s/10 susp- bagged, vortec sbc, 5 speed, patina, sold
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=594874
VIDEOS https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA
https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA

Geronimo 54' LS engine, static drop IFS, Client build, just about done
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...62#post7399162

52' 3100 Slowly in progress, will be painted two toned, have 235 with a t-5, lowered OG frame

Other projects, 49' farmuse 3100, killer Patina, will be slammed, LS engine, full done interior up next!

www.coffeeandcustoms.com
99 to Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:53 PM   #189
xpickup

mud.man.rj, oldman3, 99 to Life, Thank you. It is a really nice looking tattoo. I would like to get one with my panel and a 54 truck( project down the road) sometime.

Today was a day off from work so I worked on the panel. First was the steering. I used the stock steering shaft and cut and made a coupling and welded it back together. But it was close to the a arm and was rubbing. So tore it out and I still used the lower rag joint but use a U joint and some DD shaft. I did not like the hollow shaft on the column so I cut a short piece and drove it in the steering column then weld the one side of the hole shut. Now it is solid. It still had a one on one side so the set screw went into that spot. Then placed the DD shaft in the lower part of the joint and spot drill it for the set screws. Put it all back together and not it steers great.

Next was the exhaust tip which had a annoying vibration. Once I pulled it off I found out it had cracked at 2 places. When I did it I think I only fusion welded it. I did it at work years ago with there TIG. SO I did not have any 308 SST rod so I got some and TIG welded it back together. It is great having both types of welder at home. Man I love tools. Then I drilled the center of the tip for a piece of 3/8 SST tube I had laying around. And welded it in. I took it for a drive and no more annoying vibration.

I also ordered some new window fuzzies for the windows. I ordered the stuff for glass that has no metal trim on the glass. I got it from restoration specialties here in PA. Because I want to get my side glass and power windows and doors in before winter. I should quite driving but am finally having too much fun doing so.

Shannon
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2012, 08:27 PM   #190
Chevette

"I took it for a drive and no more annoying vibration". "I took it for a drive" That concept is foreign to me. My rig has been sitting on the frame table for so long I may have to take drivers ed. before the first outing. I like that exhaust. Looks cool.

Question: Know how to sell your truck for $50,000?
Answer: Spend $100,000 building it.
Chevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:10 PM   #191
oldman3

Shannon, like the repairs you made. Heck, keep driving it till the first snow fall, then think about stopping for a few months. That's what I used to do when I lived in Michigan...Jim
Old 09-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #192
xpickup

Chevette, I know it is really great driving it finally. I have had it for around 14 years so I know what is like. Last year I finally decided to get it on the road this year after my kids always asking when I was going to get mine drivable. I tend to work on everyone elses and fit mine in when I have time. But I love working on them.

oldman3, Thank you. Now you can drive it with one hand now. It drives really well with the exception of the lack of side wall on the tires. I do plan on driving it till it snows as long as I can find time to put the side windows in. I just got the window fuzzies and I already had the power windows and locks and the emergency release cables in cause if I loss power and can not get it. Now I just need some time!

Shannon
Old 09-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #193
xpickup

I figured I would show you yesterdays after work project. It is for my buddies COE. I needed to just shorten it. I have done so many of them at work , from all new tubed to just shortening one end. I first figure out how much I have to shorten it. Then cut the tube a little long. Then take the cut off end and chuck it up in the lathe. I then turn off the crown of the weld , then take a part off tool and go in only the depth of the tube plus a little. Then take a rod and knock the end out of the tube. Then next chuck up the tranny yoke in the chuck. That is after I set up the steady rest first. I move the steady rest towards the end that I have to part off (finish length). Then part off the end squaring it up. That is after I had figured what the length needed to be. It was 2" shorter than my center to center dimension of the drive shaft. Then make sure both ends are lined up and tap both square edges together. Then weld it all together.

Shannon
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #194
xpickup

more.

Shannon
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #195
seanery

thanks for the pics and the write up!
seanery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #196
oldman3

Shannon, thanks for the info. Now all we have to do is go buy a lathe, just kidding, nice to have the info...Jim
Old 09-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #197
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Now THAT is a LATHE!
hotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #198
mud.man.rj

I wish, I wish I wish i could build my own drive shafts too... no didn't get it. Nice to be able to do that though, good work.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #199
xpickup

mud.man.rj, oldman3, seanery, Thank you. Where I work I do have full access to what we have. Manual and CNC lathes and mills. We all program and run our machines so basically the sky is the limit. I have made a lot of hot rod parts. The owner is always checking out what I am building. We just had a company picnic the other week and I drove the panel truck to it and he told me that he wanted to go fast, so we did. After we got back he layed on the ground looking under it for probably 10 minutes and everyone thought something was wrong with it . But no he was just checking it out and asking how I did things. He was really into it. He has a 60s P1800 volvo sports car and I keep telling he we need to put a LS motor in it.

hotrod1, That one is our middle size one. It has a 12" chuck, we have a pretty big manual lathe that has a 24" chuck on it. We have a big horizontal mill I run, it has 5' x 10' travel on it. I did some big rings on it that were 90" in diameter and had to do it in double set ups. I had at least 15,000 lbs on the table between the rings and the knees. I told the owner boy you must really trust me. And he laughed , it was a big dollar job.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #200
Chevette

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpickup View Post
mud.man.rj, oldman3, seanery, Thank you. Where I work I do have full access to what we have. Manual and CNC lathes and mills. We all program and run our machines so basically the sky is the limit. I have made a lot of hot rod parts. The owner is always checking out what I am building. We just had a company picnic the other week and I drove the panel truck to it and he told me that he wanted to go fast, so we did. After we got back he layed on the ground looking under it for probably 10 minutes and everyone thought something was wrong with it . But no he was just checking it out and asking how I did things. He was really into it. He has a 60s P1800 volvo sports car and I keep telling he we need to put a LS motor in it.

hotrod1, That one is our middle size one. It has a 12" chuck, we have a pretty big manual lathe that has a 24" chuck on it. We have a big horizontal mill I run, it has 5' x 10' travel on it. I did some big rings on it that were 90" in diameter and had to do it in double set ups. I had at least 15,000 lbs on the table between the rings and the knees. I told the owner boy you must really trust me. And he laughed , it was a big dollar job.
Ok, that's cheating! The only company equip. I get to use is ladders, table saws and jack hammers.

Question: Know how to sell your truck for $50,000?
Answer: Spend $100,000 building it.
Chevette is offline   Reply With Quote