The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2011, 09:27 PM   #1601
msgross

Re: PO has me PO'd

Carlisle will be coming up... I'm right off the turnpike and on the way for you...

I'll also be out at Ft. Dix at the end of May.
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:03 AM   #1602
AJs72K5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post

Someone should be able to tig it, just not me! I can't find a welder around this area for nothing, so to save time I will just buy the GMPP intake

Are you into your new budget yet?
I am. I've started accumulating parts. The UPS guy actually asked my wife how the truck was coming. He's been by my house fairly often over the past couple of years.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gray Matter Build - 1972 K5 with some stuff
AJs72K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:56 AM   #1603
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Thanks Mike for the offer, I may take you up on it someday, right now I want to refocus on my build and not my foul up. It's worth a road trip to see ya any way, and a member may need this intake at a very reduced rate

plus I have in-laws out there...
I can TIG weld that intake for you. I have fixed quite a few over the years.

It is possible to give it some texture similar to the sand casting too but that takes a bunch of time.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:56 PM   #1604
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJs72K5 View Post
I am. I've started accumulating parts. The UPS guy actually asked my wife how the truck was coming. He's been by my house fairly often over the past couple of years.
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't get over to CK5 much anymore, but keep us posted on this board please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TT View Post
I can TIG weld that intake for you. I have fixed quite a few over the years.

It is possible to give it some texture similar to the sand casting too but that takes a bunch of time.
could you give me a rough estimate of what you might charge so I can figure how much I might sell the intake for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgross View Post
Carlisle will be coming up... I'm right off the turnpike and on the way for you...

I'll also be out at Ft. Dix at the end of May.
Thanks for the idea, are you talking about the member sourkraut? I wanted to talk to him about powdercoating something anyway??

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:22 PM   #1605
AJs72K5

Quote:
I don't get over to CK5 much anymore, but keep us posted on this board please...
Of course. I haven't made any updates on either site yet. Just been acumulating.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gray Matter Build - 1972 K5 with some stuff
AJs72K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:53 PM   #1606
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJs72K5 View Post
Of course. I haven't made any updates on either site yet. Just been acumulating.
Posted via Mobile Device
acumulating is the first step of progress on your build thread. Wifey says it is like Christmas 365 days a year for me with FedEx stopping all the time. She doesn't even get excited when a box shows up on the doorstep, because it is always for me One of these days I've got to just buy something for her and have it delivered just to trip her up

You've got a great build goin', keep it up AJ

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 03-30-2011, 07:47 AM   #1607
msgross

My kids (and wife) are the same way.... I would be opening a box and they were all excited, now they ask "what's in the box" and I reply with "truck parts".... "IT'S ALWAYS TRUCK PARTS FOR DADDY!" is the average response...

Old 03-30-2011, 08:26 AM   #1608
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
could you give me a rough estimate of what you might charge so I can figure how much I might sell the intake for...
It takes about an hour to prep it, weld it up, machine it to the right shape then re-thread the hole so figure $50 to $80 labor & materials depending upon how much of the boss is damaged and needs repaired. Yours doesn't look too bad so I would say $50 to $60.

It will look good when done just not like it was unrepaired. The repaired area will be smooth and not sand cast finish. You can rough it up a bit but I haven't been able to make it look exactly like the sand cast finish.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:48 AM   #1609
timjt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawricker View Post
I know how you feel, more rust than you were prepared to deal with....kinda gives you t hat sick feeling...but I just finished all the body work on mine Can't think of much I didn't replace...lol...pillar bottoms, door bottoms inside and outside, floor pans, kick panels, rockers, inside rocker panels, front fenders, and several floor patches in the bed.....blocking it off now, waiting on the money to paint.
JUst take your time, measure twice, tack it measure again.....good luck...if you need advice these guys are great....
by the time you get all that done, it may have been worth taking a trip down to arizona for donor trucks!

1983 short n wide custom deluxe SOLD

1985 silverado longbed 305 engine 700r4

OH NO! NOT ANOTHER LEARNING EXPERIENCE!!!

"Just because you can do it, doesn't mean that you should"
timjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:19 AM   #1610
sdailey
The Few, The Proud

Quote:
acumulating is the first step of progress on your build thread. Wifey says it is like Christmas 365 days a year for me with FedEx stopping all the time. She doesn't even get excited when a box shows up on the doorstep, because it is always for me One of these days I've got to just buy something for her and have it delivered just to trip her up

You've got a great build goin', keep it up AJ

My wife doesn't even bother bringing in the boxes anymore. Wherever Fed-Ex/UPS leaves them is where I find them when I get home in the evenings.

Quote:
My kids (and wife) are the same way.... I would be opening a box and they were all excited, now they ask "what's in the box" and I reply with "truck parts".... "IT'S ALWAYS TRUCK PARTS FOR DADDY!" is the average response...

My 4 year old will ask everytime now before I open a box if it's truck parts for my truck. Pretty sad huh?

Last edited by sdailey; 03-30-2011 at 10:20 AM.
sdailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:55 PM   #1611
jaros44sr

Looks like I should send a small present to your children Shannon and Mike...PM me yourhome addys
Posted via Mobile Device

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 03-30-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:15 PM   #1612
jaros44sr

[QUOTE=sdailey;4588338]My wife doesn't even bother bringing in the boxes anymore. Wherever Fed-Ex/UPS leaves them is where I find them when I get home in the evenings.

My wife used to pull that, until I told her the price of some of these parts

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 03-30-2011, 06:17 PM   #1613
jaros44sr

Quote:
It takes about an hour to prep it, weld it up, machine it to the right shape then re-thread the hole so figure $50 to $80 labor & materials depending upon how much of the boss is damaged and needs repaired. Yours doesn't look too bad so I would say $50 to $60.

It will look good when done just not like it was unrepaired. The repaired area will be smooth and not sand cast finish. You can rough it up a bit but I haven't been able to make it look exactly like the sand cast finish.
Great info., I could charge 50 bucks for the intake and they would still get a deal...thank you for the help

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 03-30-2011, 09:03 PM   #1614
msgross

Quote:
Looks like I should send a small present to your children Shannon and Mike...PM me yourhome addys
Posted via Mobile Device
thanks for the offer...

Old 03-30-2011, 10:50 PM   #1615
jaros44sr

Quote:
thanks for the offer...
is he into legos, just bought some for my grandson and he is 4yrs. old

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 03-31-2011, 12:17 AM   #1616
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I just thought about checking in to see how that EFI fuel filter worked out, but I see you've had other issues. Too bad about that intake. I agree with 68 TT on fixing that....that's an easy fix. It seems odd to me that you couldn't find anyone in your area to fix that for you. There are lots of fab/weld shops around here, of course not all of them know how to weld aluminum.

I hope your luck gets better.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 03-31-2011 at 12:17 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:48 PM   #1617
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I just thought about checking in to see how that EFI fuel filter worked out, but I see you've had other issues. Too bad about that intake. I agree with 68 TT on fixing that....that's an easy fix. It seems odd to me that you couldn't find anyone in your area to fix that for you. There are lots of fab/weld shops around here, of course not all of them know how to weld aluminum.

I hope your luck gets better.
yeah, other issues! Sorry, I can't give you any insight on the fuel filter, but the info. is coming. I still have to plumb a regulator into the fuel line, so that might take some time...

The intake didn't take long to get rid of, so I don't have to find a fab shop...

I'm looking at the GMPP intake 12496822 w/ an adapter plate to get it from a square bore to a spread bore

I think I understand what happened with the galling, seems that the tolerances were wrong on the thread pitch of the fittings. I'll check out Aeroquip this time

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 04-01-2011, 11:33 AM   #1618
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
I'm looking at the GMPP intake 12496822 w/ an adapter plate to get it from a square bore to a spread bore

I think I understand what happened with the galling, seems that the tolerances were wrong on the thread pitch of the fittings. I'll check out Aeroquip this time
Why not use the same Edelbrock one you had before without the adapter plate? Future plans for a square bore carb?

I have had a few new intakes not tapped deep enough for the fittings to engage enough threads. I typically run a tap into the pipe fitting holes until the fitting gets as many threads into the intake as possible before it bottoms out just to give the intake more structural integrity. That may have been part of your problem. Too little engagement area at the boss so it put too much force into too small of an area on the intake.

If the hole wasn't tapped all the way through you could have bottomed out the plug and caused the damage that way too.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #1619
jaros44sr

Quote:
Why not use the same Edelbrock one you had before without the adapter plate? Future plans for a square bore carb?

I have had a few new intakes not tapped deep enough for the fittings to engage enough threads. I typically run a tap into the pipe fitting holes until the fitting gets as many threads into the intake as possible before it bottoms out just to give the intake more structural integrity. That may have been part of your problem. Too little engagement area at the boss so it put too much force into too small of an area on the intake.

If the hole wasn't tapped all the way through you could have bottomed out the plug and caused the damage that way too.
This vortec manifold only comes in a square bore, plus it has crossover coolant ports at the rear of the manifold

yeah, I'm thinkin' this quadrajet (500-600cfm) won't make muster down the road. Now that the top end is about done, I want to build a 400 cu. in. stroker

good points, and info., and what you say makes sense. Great job keeping me informed, good thing about this board

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 04-01-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:27 PM   #1620
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
This vortec manifold only comes in a square bore, plus it has crossover coolant ports at the rear of the manifold

yeah, I'm thinkin' this quadrajet (500-600cfm) won't make muster down the road. Now that the top end is about done, I want to build a 400 cu. in. stroker

good points, and info., and what you say makes sense. Great job keeping me informed, good thing about this board
If you don't mind how they look you can get an 850 cfm Q-Jet off of many land yachts from the 70's. Buick & Olds 455's came with them as well as many other tanks.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:21 PM   #1621
jaros44sr

Quote:
If you don't mind how they look you can get an 850 cfm Q-Jet off of many land yachts from the 70's. Buick & Olds 455's came with them as well as many other tanks.
yeah, you're right, forgot about them...I'll start looking now, orrrrrr 2 quadrajets, that might be cool

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 04-02-2011, 06:15 AM   #1622
msgross

Quote:
yeah, you're right, forgot about them...I'll start looking now, orrrrrr 2 quadrajets, that might be cool
oh my,,, an OctaJet

Old 04-02-2011, 08:05 AM   #1623
sourkraut

Could not tell 100% but is that a water port? If interested I could weld it up for you. Is the easy out still in there? We can get that out and fixed up to. Will pm you.
Posted via Mobile Device

sourkraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #1624
jaros44sr

sorry guys, had the flu for a couple. didn't feel like doing anything

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 04-21-2011, 11:07 PM   #1625
jaros44sr

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourkraut View Post
Could not tell 100% but is that a water port? If interested I could weld it up for you. Is the easy out still in there? We can get that out and fixed up to. Will pm you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for offer of help guys, but I think I will just sell it and let the new owner deal with it

Ya know, I don't think this engine will ever need 850 cfm, but ya never know if I get around to building a 400 stroker...

Maybe this weekend I can post up some pics of the new intake manifold from GM, still have to chase the threads to make sure it doesn't happen again

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 04-21-2011 at 11:09 PM.