The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-29-2014, 10:22 PM   #851
tex_waco_usmc
Project Heaven in my 67!!!

Re: The Hillbilly Deluxe dually build

On the mudflap issue. I recently received a ticket by a state trooper for missing 1 of my two mudflaps. I backed into a curb and it got caught between the tire and curb... On my way home I received a ticket for it. I had to get it fixed prior to going to court and seeing the judge.
tex_waco_usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:55 PM   #852
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUISER View Post
Would the tailpipe I linked not work or did decide to stick with a turndown?
No, that's not it at all. Its a financial thing.

See, I have to get some hay stockpiled for my animals and I have to have this truck on the road to do that. With financial constraints and time constraints, I had to sacrifice and go the route of a turn down rather than full tailpipe. It's simply a budgetary deal. By the time my truck budget grew enough to do a tailpipe and hangers and tip, I'd have some pretty hungry livestock.

I do think I might just tack weld this tip into the back of the muffler though. That way when tailpipe money appears, I can possibly harvest the tip for reuse. With the back of the truck being so exposed with the flatbed, getting the tailpipe(s) just right is going to be a real consideration.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:09 AM   #853
GCncsuHD
Charlie Daniels w/ a Tq Wrench

I don't know that I would go through the trouble of a tailpipe anyway. Every flat bed I've ever seen with a tailpipe, it just looks like it's hanging out there, out of place, that's just my opinion though.

I'd do it either one of two ways, like you are doing it temporary, with a turndown, rotated 45* outward, or just go up over the axle and pointed back down right after the axle, that would get it beyond your hard work on that axle and still keep it tucked up nicely out of view.

2nd option, kinda like my old HD was done
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...6-28-16_17.jpg
When looking at it from behind or the side it was completely invisible unless you bent down to look.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...202011/073.jpg

As far as sourcing a tailpipe, if you went the second route, it really does not matter which side, as that section of pipe is generally straight, and tubing should be easy to source for free/cheap, just go visit some exhaust shop and ask to look through the scrap pile. Many newer trucks use a 3.5" exhaust -I know both 01-10 Duramaxes and 7.3 and 6.0 Power strokes use 3.5" stock, as well as 2500HDs with either the 6.0 or 8.1, and the newer GMs with the 6.2 all have 3.5". You could easily swage that muffler outlet to fit up with 3.5". The only 3" OEM exhaust I can think of is the Ecoboost F150s. Find any of those in a scrap pile and get to cutting/welding.
78 K30 Dually Semi-Retired Fire Truck 350/SM465 35"s
SOLD01 2500HD ECSB 6.0 4x4 5.13's 8" lift 38"s
GCncsuHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:34 PM   #854
bluex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
I threw the old ones away. I didn't figure there was any demand for stolen mud flaps that said "BJ services" on them. This isn't the first time I have been short sighted though.
Bummer im sure my wife would have loved them
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:48 PM   #855
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex_waco_usmc View Post
On the mudflap issue. I recently received a ticket by a state trooper for missing 1 of my two mudflaps. I backed into a curb and it got caught between the tire and curb... On my way home I received a ticket for it. I had to get it fixed prior to going to court and seeing the judge.
They are pretty active around Waco. I bought an '88 Trans Am in Austin, and a buddy trailered it to Waco for me. I decided to chance it by driving it home. Had a ticket before I made it to West for expired inspection. The trooper was nice enough to check it out and tell me it was a really nice car before he gave me the ticket. Thanks, dude.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:50 PM   #856
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Quote:
Plus, I didn't dig driving around with the words "BJ Services" on the back of my truck.
At least it wasn't lettered on the door....
Old 01-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #857
Tx Firefighter

It's too windy outside to weld on the exhaust so I piddled with checking all lights and points of state inspection today. I'm gonna adjust the headlight when it gets dark tonight, but otherwise I believe its ready to go get inspected.

After that I decided to mess with the Unity spotlight on the A pillar. It never worked, as far as movement or illuminating, either one.

These things are some real nice quality. Everything is fully serviceable and Unity still carries all the little parts to restore them.

I had to order some of the clips that hold the bulb into the housing.

A switch toggle (mine is broken off)

And the head pivot parts kit. This is pretty crucial as the electrical current is carried down the center of the post and has to remain insulated as the head pivots. Mine was rusty and crumbling. No big deal. Apparently its common enough that Unity has a little baggie of service parts all in one kit.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:16 PM   #858
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Quote:
No, that's not it at all. Its a financial thing.

See, I have to get some hay stockpiled for my animals and I have to have this truck on the road to do that. With financial constraints and time constraints, I had to sacrifice and go the route of a turn down rather than full tailpipe. It's simply a budgetary deal. By the time my truck budget grew enough to do a tailpipe and hangers and tip, I'd have some pretty hungry livestock.

I do think I might just tack weld this tip into the back of the muffler though. That way when tailpipe money appears, I can possibly harvest the tip for reuse. With the back of the truck being so exposed with the flatbed, getting the tailpipe(s) just right is going to be a real consideration.
10 4. They were cheaper six months ago, seems like I paid $35 or $40 per side. Your truck is looking great.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:05 PM   #859
rusty76

I've always wanted one of these spotlights for my truck. I just dig them. I'd love to have one. Your truck is really looking good.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:46 PM   #860
Tx Firefighter

Its 80 degrees here right now. I wish I could tell y'all that I got much progress done on the dually. Instead, I had to fix the blower motor in our house HVAC system. The fan broke loose from the hub so it was rattling and rubbing. I got that all welded back up, trued, and installed. Now the blower is quiet again.

Also, the master cylinder decided to puke on my daily driver so I had to run to O Reilly and get a replacement and swap on. I also fixed the back-up lights and a few little odds and ends on it at the same time. Notice my next victim sitting in the background. Once the dually is on the road, the K2500 will get moved to the shop and I'll dig into it.

Still waiting on parts for the Unity spotlight. Next week is payday and I'll get the dually registered and inspected and it will be on the road and driving.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:28 PM   #861
Stoney
Farm Truck

I thought you had a Honda for a Daily Driver?

Mike
Jersey Village, Tx
Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:20 PM   #862
Tx Firefighter

I do have a Honda. Nowadays I pretty much drive the pickup everywhere unless I'm hauling my daughters somewhere though. Carrying around two girls are just more conducive to having a bigger car. The Honda has got 108k miles on it now so I'm trying to drive it less and less. I might give it to my older daughter for her first car.

This is the typical lineup at our house. My Honda sits in the garage collecting dust. That's Valerie's CR-V on the right. And, the pickup sits outside ready to go.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:41 AM   #863
67c10rustbuket

Hey Kevin, I had some time and sat down and read your whole thread. I really like all the super clean detail repair work. Very very nice! My wifes grandfather has one very similar that he bought new from the dealer he worked for as a mechanic for 30 yrs. Still haulin' hay.. He also has an 88 C1500 in the barn with the plastic still on the seats, yeah I really hope it becomes my barn find someday

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:47 AM   #864
Tx Firefighter

Dang Dan, you read the whole thread at one sitting ? That's some dedication. Thank you.

It's going to be a little dormant on this thread until later in the week when I get some cash to get it all legalized. Then I'll be driving it and working out the bugs that pop up.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:56 AM   #865
ryanroo

Quote:
Dang Dan, you read the whole thread at one sitting ? That's some dedication. Thank you.

It's going to be a little dormant on this thread until later in the week when I get some cash to get it all legalized. Then I'll be driving it and working out the bugs that pop up.
Not to read between the lines... but does that mean we get to see a K2500 thread soon?

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:06 AM   #866
Tx Firefighter

Yes it does. I've about reached a stopping point on this dually. I just wanted it dead solid and reliable. Not worried about cosmetics really. I think I've about reached that milestone.

I need to spend a couple of days on the daily driver stepside before I dig into the 4x4. Nothing big, just address a couple of little nagging issues to make it more pleasant to drive.

The K2500 will be a bit different theme of build though. I'm gonna build it a little nicer. Pretty sure I'll paint it, replace body panels, etc. I'll do the mechanicals to the same level as the dually but step the cosmetics up to as good as I can do with paint and body. I'm hoping it will be an easy restoration since you can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting a GMT400 truck. Parts should be very easy and cheap to find.

I figure I'll be dug into the 4x4 by March 1.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:22 PM   #867
Jimbo0076

I've sat here all last night and this afternoon and finished up reading your build thread and going to start looking at the 63 thread now Haha

Absolutely love the look of the dually and LOVE your level of detail and the fact that you don't credit card it and look for the best deals.

On the auto parts store note,I work at a locally owned parts store(that is actually owned by a auto parts warehouse that opened our store) We blow most of the chain stores out of the water on pricing but still try to have a gross profit of 25-30% to give people a idea of what mark up is most of the time I've figured its 70-80% mark up on chain store sale prices vs cost prices.

I'm looking forward to the K2500 build! You definitely build my kind of truck

Jimbo
Jimbo0076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:29 PM   #868
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo0076 View Post
I've sat here all last night and this afternoon and finished up reading your build thread and going to start looking at the 63 thread now Haha

Absolutely love the look of the dually and LOVE your level of detail and the fact that you don't credit card it and look for the best deals.

On the auto parts store note,I work at a locally owned parts store(that is actually owned by a auto parts warehouse that opened our store) We blow most of the chain stores out of the water on pricing but still try to have a gross profit of 25-30% to give people a idea of what mark up is most of the time I've figured its 70-80% mark up on chain store sale prices vs cost prices.

I'm looking forward to the K2500 build! You definitely build my kind of truck

Jimbo
Wow Jimbo, thank you for the compliment. Its nice to hear my vision hits home with folks. I'm getting older and my idea of cool is far removed from the mainstream airbag and LS engine stuff that's so popular today.

On the dually front, I finally got some parts to make progress. My Unity order came in today. Valerie texts me pictures of my deliveries when I'm at the station.

This weekend I'll get the spot light rebuilt and installed.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:42 PM   #869
Jimbo0076

Shoot yea I'm the same way

I'm fixing to start working on my '64 LWB,it has a 283 that is blown up so I'm looking for a 6cyl to replace it and make it look nice and original like most things you seem to do and everyone looks at me like I'm nuts cause I don't just toss a 350 in it and go on Haha

These trucks are really good looking from the factory and going all high tech and modding them with LS motors and all is neat and all but kills the "old truck" feel and vibe to me.
Jimbo0076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:53 AM   #870
TheBlueBomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo0076 View Post
These trucks are really good looking from the factory and going all high tech and modding them with LS motors and all is neat and all but kills the "old truck" feel and vibe to me.
That's how I've always felt... but then I saw a twin turbod square go screaming down the street...

1979 Chevrolet K10 Scottsdale - Carolina K10 -

My 4.8L Twin turbo build - Project Short Stroke -

Instagram - TheBlueBomber1996
TheBlueBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:36 PM   #871
Tx Firefighter

Spotlight is all rebuilt and installed. The parts from a Unity were priced right and good quality.

My bucket was kind of beat up so I sandblasted and powdercoated it after doing some bodywork to remove some dentage.

I guess I'll go get new stickers for the Tuesday, set the toe, and call it done.

I got the fever to get into 4 wheel drivesville soon. That K2500 stares at me every time I come into the driveway.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:02 PM   #872
TheBlueBomber

Cool spotlight. My friend has one on his '63. I'm thinking about getting one myself.

1979 Chevrolet K10 Scottsdale - Carolina K10 -

My 4.8L Twin turbo build - Project Short Stroke -

Instagram - TheBlueBomber1996
TheBlueBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:13 PM   #873
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Have you replaced the bellhousing yet? I saw where it was restored and you got all the parts to adapt it to hydraulic. Side note, I drove a truck Thursday with a spotlight, first time so I had to play with it a minute to see how well it worked. Really cool, should be an option on everything with a tailgate. I read where you don't beat on your trucks, but can't help that I've started thinking of this one as your big block 4-speed truck.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #874
Low Elco

Can't wait for a driving report.

Of course, we'll require a thread on the 4x4. We all need the inspiration.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:33 PM   #875
imjeff

Great thread Kevin! I am a firefighter as well (recovering paramedic) who doesn't do credit and I have an incredible case of OCD. Your thread has allowed my wife to see that there are other OCD addled folks who enjoy doing their own work out there. I've picked up some great ideas and tips from your thread and will be following for inspiration! I am also entering my pre-retirement years and am assembling my final fleet. We are looking at places to move all over the states (nothing left coast) and Texas is definitely always one of the top contenders. Thanks again for your incredibly clear and clean explanations!
67 Chevelle 396, 4 speed
74 FXE
08 Tahoe
imjeff is offline   Reply With Quote