The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2018, 11:32 AM   #1
mistral

Long Wheel Base to Short

Ok, I have a 1968 LWB would I be crazy to convert it to a SWB? would I hurt the value? I am sure some guys have done it, what kind of costs would I be looking at?

Thanks.

Ron
Attached Images

mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:58 AM   #2
WhiteCST

Re: Long Wheel Base to Short

The only way I could see it hurting the value too bad was if it is a pristine condition truck, or a 50th anniversary truck. By all accounts that I’ve seen, making it a shortbed actually improves the value or at the least the desirability. As far as cost Brothers trucks makes a kit that anyone who can use basic tools and follow instructions can do. It costs $470 and comes with everything you need (new brake lines, new e brake equipment, new driveshaft for factory trans etc.) including a template you bolt on to the frame. If you can weld yourself you can complete the process on your own, if not the template bolts the truck together long enough to trailer it to a welder to have it done. The next expense is shortening your long bed which can take a long time to do properly, or buy a short box. They’re few and far between in good shape and all new panels will cost you close to 2k.
Here’s a link for where they did the swap and it will give you an idea: https://www.google.com/amp/www.hotro...10-trucks/amp/
And here’s a link to the brothers website: https://www.brotherstrucks.com/63-72...tinfo/LTSC372/
2006 Dodge Charger RT

Built TH400 for Sale
WhiteCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:00 PM   #3
WhiteCST

I am 100% sure someone will disagree with me as far as it hurting the value, but at least out in my area shortbeds are more expensive, regardless if they’re factory or converted. As long as they’re converted properly. And I forgot to say it before, nice truck! I’m currently building a 68 CST that I want to paint that color
2006 Dodge Charger RT

Built TH400 for Sale
Old 06-28-2018, 12:45 PM   #4
Boog
laying low

Uh oh. Here we go again. 3,2,1
Some folks are pretty pasionate about the subject.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:04 PM   #5
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

I say go ahead and cut it. A million of these trucks were made.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:40 PM   #6
70cst

Go the way you want - not sure of cost but make sure it is done right.

For me … I would not buy a converted truck but that's me … many folks would.

I like LWB trucks - many folks prefer SWB trucks

As far as a SWB being more valuable than a LWB … not in all cases.

Good luck

That's my thoughts

By the way - your truck look cool already

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!

Last edited by 70cst; 06-28-2018 at 03:55 PM.
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:49 PM   #7
dropped_71chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCST View Post
The only way I could see it hurting the value too bad was if it is a pristine condition truck, or a 50th anniversary truck. By all accounts that I’ve seen, making it a shortbed actually improves the value or at the least the desirability. As far as cost Brothers trucks makes a kit that anyone who can use basic tools and follow instructions can do. It costs $470 and comes with everything you need (new brake lines, new e brake equipment, new driveshaft for factory trans etc.) including a template you bolt on to the frame. If you can weld yourself you can complete the process on your own, if not the template bolts the truck together long enough to trailer it to a welder to have it done. The next expense is shortening your long bed which can take a long time to do properly, or buy a short box. They’re few and far between in good shape and all new panels will cost you close to 2k.
Here’s a link for where they did the swap and it will give you an idea: https://www.google.com/amp/www.hotro...10-trucks/amp/
And here’s a link to the brothers website: https://www.brotherstrucks.com/63-72...tinfo/LTSC372/
To clarify, I don't believe Brother's kit includes a new drive shaft.
dropped_71chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:56 PM   #8
hotwls13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral View Post
Ok, I have a 1968 LWB would I be crazy to convert it to a SWB? would I hurt the value? I am sure some guys have done it, what kind of costs would I be looking at?

Thanks.

Ron
Wow, nice truck! I like the SWB more than the longs. They are also more valuable. Do what you want, it's your truck.

If that was my truck, I'd probably leave it as is and build another. Haha
hotwls13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:41 PM   #9
morepwr

If it is done right, it doesn't hurt a thing other than originality. If you are making it into a something you really want then I say go for it.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:57 PM   #10
Grumpy old man

By the time your done your going to Have $5,000 invested with all the body parts and then paint /trim/bed floor/drive shaft etc,etc and the paint won't match
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:22 PM   #11
jessemthompson

I agree with grumpy old man. Your truck looks like it’s to far along to convert to a short bed. You may as well sell what you have and buy a short bed in the same condition. I would not cut that truck.
jessemthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:28 PM   #12
WhiteCST

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropped_71chevy View Post
To clarify, I don't believe Brother's kit includes a new drive shaft.
Thank you sir, I stand corrected. And another agreement with grumpy old man. 5k definitely sounds accurate for the full job completed if you buy a new bed. Maybe a little less if you do the conversion and weld it yourself. Or paint yourself etc. whatever your skills are.
2006 Dodge Charger RT

Built TH400 for Sale
Old 06-28-2018, 10:28 PM   #13
dagnabbitt

Nothing wrong with chopping a frame, but why not try it with a piece of junk first? The one you supplied a pic of is really a little too nice.

What will happen when after you chop is you will: sandblast and powdercoat the frame; replace the driveshaft; lower it; upgrade to disc brakes etc etc.

Might well do it with a truck that needs all that stuff anyway.

That said, its your truck!
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:45 PM   #14
Southpaw69

That's a nice looking truck sir. I don't think you'd be "crazy" to make it a short bed if that's what you really want. As far as value, I think you'll be ahead leaving it as is. By the time you pay to get it done right I don't think you'd get it back if you sold it. Judging from that picture, it's already in the high end category.
Southpaw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:59 PM   #15
mistral

Thanks for the input guys. Yes a lot of work has gone into my truck. A guy spent three years on it. I think I will take the advice and leave it as it is. I am tight in the truck so I will concentrate on a different seat and maybe a turbo 400 trans. She needs another gear.

Ron
Old 06-28-2018, 11:17 PM   #16
WhiteCST

I have a low mile th400 with a shift kit, too bad you’re in Texas
2006 Dodge Charger RT

Built TH400 for Sale
Old 06-29-2018, 02:39 AM   #17
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

My one problem.Would your tear up a nice truck to do this No.That's why the guy below said they made a tone of these trucks.If every one is doing it find one half way done but the guy ran out of money.Buy it and finish it.I rather have 2 trucks instead of just one.Whats the fun in that.If your a diehard GM man having 2 of these trucks wont hurt you.Now this is what cracks me up the most about this He asked will it hurt the value.If your doing this to make more money yes it will unless your so good about covering up all the tale tale of converting your truck from long bed to short bed.Yes some guys later down the road will say you have a flip truck.That's like me putting SS badging on a Inline 6 camaro Nova or chevelle and saying its a true SS car every one laughs there ass off about guys buying Cars that look like yenko's has all the goodies But turns out it was a inline 6 with no options.

Trucks don't have that problem.But if you say its a factory short bed and you live in the south You might get a bullet or rock salt in your butt and live like a monk for the about 5 years or move out of the state No one like lyres.When you sell it be honest tell the truth and every one is happy
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:53 AM   #18
mistral

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsalvage View Post
My one problem.Would your tear up a nice truck to do this No.That's why the guy below said they made a tone of these trucks.If every one is doing it find one half way done but the guy ran out of money.Buy it and finish it.I rather have 2 trucks instead of just one.Whats the fun in that.If your a diehard GM man having 2 of these trucks wont hurt you.Now this is what cracks me up the most about this He asked will it hurt the value.If your doing this to make more money yes it will unless your so good about covering up all the tale tale of converting your truck from long bed to short bed.Yes some guys later down the road will say you have a flip truck.That's like me putting SS badging on a Inline 6 camaro Nova or chevelle and saying its a true SS car every one laughs there ass off about guys buying Cars that look like yenko's has all the goodies But turns out it was a inline 6 with no options.

Trucks don't have that problem.But if you say its a factory short bed and you live in the south You might get a bullet or rock salt in your butt and live like a monk for the about 5 years or move out of the state No one like lyres.When you sell it be honest tell the truth and every one is happy
No one said anything about lying about it being a factory short bed. You ever buy something from me I tell you everything I know even if it cost me money. The question about value was just that you have a converted truck that is up front what would that do to value. Mute point at this point.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:52 AM   #19
66clow

I have no problem cutting one but that is too nice of a truck. It needs to look like mine did to cut. Lol what I have in mine is way cheaper than buying an original shortbed. Tried finding an original ended up going this route.
Attached Images

66clow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:55 AM   #20
bs46488

I cut mine, so I'm not against cutting up a truck.

But mine was in a far worse starting condition than yours.

1970 Nova: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=708161
bs46488 is offline   Reply With Quote