The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2023, 01:47 AM   #1
dagnabbitt

1959 Apache

This is my 1959 Apache on the day I bought it, Father's Day 2013. A friend of mine and I flew to Regina, Saskatchewan and drove it back to Edmonton, Alberta.

Canada, btw.

The fuel pump died in Saskatoon, leading to a extended holiday of sorts. American readers might want to check google maps to confirm that I am not making those place names up. Maybe I stopped in Moose Jaw or Medicine Hat, who knows? I still remember that rainstorm where I belatedly remembered that I had no wipers. I know it was Father's Day because the hotel we stayed at in 'Sktoon served an excellent brunch that morning. The way it was built, you'd think that the owner wanted everyone to know how clever he was, though. I've never been that way, I'll try to explain below. Or not etc.

Name:  IMG_0938.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  52.1 KB

This is the same truck an hour later after a polish.

Name:  IMG_0939.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  47.7 KB

Despite being on this forum for 10 years I have never written about it. My friend's nephew knew I liked stepside shortboxes and also had suspicioned that I had an affection for this green color. The fact that I wanted a 67 was immaterial to him, this checked most of the boxes, he figured. He sent me some pictures and told me he was brokering the deal. I gave him 10%, he was a good negotiator and it was worth it.

Take this story with a grain of salt: the truck was a one-owner-from-new sort of deal: and it belonged to a family who owned an autobody shop. It was a dark blue 3/4 ton LWB that grampa bought for the farm in 1959. One day in 1998... a 1997 Tahoe was brought in to the autobody shop. It was a light rollover with very low miles, and it sat there for a long time while the insurance company decided what to do. After some deliberation it was written off and the folks from the autobody shop waited for the tow truck to get it, but they never did. After several months the son asked if maybe it was not too crazy, can we put Gramps's truck on this Tahoe?

I think it took about a thousand hours, but they worked at it in their spare time. What they did is they cut around the "tub" of the Tahoe, essentially leaving the floorboards and the firewall, but leaving the wiring harness completely intact - as the guy said, they "did not cut a single wire". They then grafted grampa's truck's cab on to that. You honestly cannot tell. I bought it from the son, he didn't want to part with it, I won't tell the story here since he was kind of upset during the transaction and likely not in his right mind.

Anyway... in the end there was an Apache with a modern drivetrain, 4x4, air conditioning, and even ABS. And it fit perfectly, 'cause it was trimmed to do that. A stepside box is shortened very easily of course.

You (you!) should have seen people's faces on the way home when I passed them at 100 mph. The truck remained a daily driver for two or three years, 60 miles every day.

I didn't have that much money though... so I couldn't continue any sort of a resto on the truck. And being in Canada it was strictly a summer ride and if I couldn't keep my winter ride on the road, well, that was it, I had no job. I had to choose. The truck was so darn reliable that ironically it got put on the back burner as I collected other junk. That is probably some sort of Law of Economics.

All I did to it was have custom corvette ralley wheels made for it - they don't usually make them six bolt with this kind of offset - and put a stock bumper on the back.

Name:  IMG_1374.JPG
Views: 114
Size:  99.4 KB

Since about 2015 it has been registered and insured and driven about 30 miles a year. I am hoping by starting this thread I might make some progress on it. The below pics are when it was was polished up and beautiful, I am sorry to say that it does not look nearly as good now. A bit rotten in the corners and bubbly in the paint. But I am a pretty stubborn guy and it is going to get finished.

Name:  IMG_1590.JPG
Views: 112
Size:  81.3 KB
Attached Images

1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10

Last edited by dagnabbitt; 12-19-2023 at 04:16 AM.
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 02:22 AM   #2
dagnabbitt

Re: 1959 Apache

All in all - is that an expression? - it's been a great truck, probably one of my most reliable vehicles. Look forward to maybe making it look nice, too.

It gets lots of looks.

So many people wax nostalgic when they see it.

I love it too.

Today it is covered in dust, but I can fix that.
Attached Images

1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10

Last edited by dagnabbitt; 12-19-2023 at 02:41 AM.
Old 12-20-2023, 11:14 AM   #3
dsraven

thats a great story and a nice looking truck. if you plan to redo the body i suggest to start collecting bottles and when you get enough to do the whole thing then start. body supplies are far from cheap, and it still looks pretty good, so keep driving it till you can afford to fix it. oh yeah, stop collecting other stuff that requires a budget to get back to life, haha. (my wife says that, if you quit working on everything else your old truck would be done).
nice to see another Albertan on here, I'm in Calgary, you know, where they have chinooks. haha.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 07:01 PM   #4
dagnabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
thats a great story and a nice looking truck. if you plan to redo the body i suggest to start collecting bottles and when you get enough to do the whole thing then start. body supplies are far from cheap, and it still looks pretty good, so keep driving it till you can afford to fix it. oh yeah, stop collecting other stuff that requires a budget to get back to life, haha. (my wife says that, if you quit working on everything else your old truck would be done).
nice to see another Albertan on here, I'm in Calgary, you know, where they have chinooks. haha.
I've been following your build with great interest, of course! Too bad about both of our hockey teams.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10